Apple gave me a new iPad because I had scratched

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gavin S., Mar 30, 2011.

1. Gavin S. macrumors newbie

The bejesus out of my screen. I am amazed. I went into the local store (Louisville, ky) just to look around and on a whim asked if there was any way to have a new screen put on my old iPad. The guy said bring it in and we'll take a look. I did and he determined that I had 7 day left on my warranty and that they would replace it. I was shocked. The scratches were completely my fault and I didn't expect any consideration in the matter. I gotta say, I'm pretty happy about this. They almost gave me an iPad 2 in the exchange but the girl opened the box and realized the mistake before handing it over. That would have pissed off the 30 people waiting in line outside the store trying to get their own 2s I bet. Apple bought a lot of goodwill from me in this matter. :)

2. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

I was ready to lob fireballs your way until I actually read your post. I think Apple doing this for you is great, and the fact that you went in asking how to get the device repaired instead of replaced is awesome as well.

What I can't stand are people who damage their devices and expect Apple to just exchange it. The same crowd who cries: "It stopped working after I dropped it in the toilet! I want a new one!"

3. Mrbill317 macrumors regular

You better

After all that I hope you get a screen protector or case.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Congrats, OP.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Buy AppleCare for the replacement from the person that helped you :). They don't get 'commission' on it, but it will help them meet their quota.

6. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Apple has done this kind of thing for me before, and the amazing thing is not that they have helped me out, it is that they have bent over backwards for me several times. The one time an Apple employee was unhelpful to me I was able to call AppleCare and get amazing customer support.

just on a side note: I have had to have several iPhone 4 exchanges (long story) and not one of them has been 100% cosmetically perfect whether they've given me a new one in the box or a refurb, so try not to fall into a viscious circle of replacing these when you find things--you'll just get more and more OCD

but that's totally cool that they helped you

7. melman101 macrumors 68030

Count your blessings. Last year when I got iPad 1 I had a pretty much invisible scratch, went to the apple store, explained I did not know how it came about but I never dropped it, and it's been in apple case since day 1. "Sorry Sir, scratches on the screen are not covered by warranty".

8. Gavin S. thread starter macrumors newbie

Ha ha. I can see how the subject line could pre-piss off a reader. No, I really didn't think for a moment that Apple owed me anything other than a "sorry to see that, but have you looked at the newer, better iPad 2?".

I do need a screen protector though. I'll do a search and see what the consensus is on the best to buy.

9. melman101 macrumors 68030

Power Support Crystal Film is my favorite. Worked great on iPad 1. Waiting for iPad 2.