Apple gave me a new Macbook Pro [Genius repair story]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wordoflife, Dec 3, 2010.

1. wordoflife, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

So last week I dropped my computer off at the Apple Store on Saturday (last week) because the screen wasn't aligned with the base of the laptop (I opened a thread about that when I got my MBP). Oh, I dropped the computer, but it didn't do anything beside misalign it a bit more. I took it to the store to get it fixed, and the genius said "That's a common defect, we'll happily fix that for you" and I'm like "Excellent".

Fast forward to Monday, I get a call on saying that they were not getting video on the screen and would have to order replacement parts. The original plan was to just reseat the screen, but they ended up ordering a new motherboard and screen. I don't think any of this was necessary, at all - but they did it anyways. The paper I signed today showed those parts totaled to $1100. That's crazy - almost the price of a new Macbook Pro.

Fast forward to today: I go to the store ready to pick up my Macbook Pro. First they have trouble finding it, but I'm not sure if he really understood me. He finally brought my computer out and it was all dirty. The Genius promised to me that they would realign the computer with the base (the main reason why I took it in the first place) but that issue was no fixed. In fact, the screen was wobbly. Very wobbly.
    I immediately said the screen is screwed up - loose. Of course, the representative denied any issues. I told him that there is an issue, and I gave my computer to you in better condition than you gave it to me. He said "Let me get a manager for you" and I was like "okay''.

The manager came, greeted me, and asked me "what's up". I told him the issues with the screen and he fiddled with my screen a few times. He said, did you go check any of the other 13" models on the floor and I said yes, they werent like this. I told him my macbook pro was not like this when I gave it to them. He took me to a 15" Macbook Pro (the one on the one-to-one table) and asked me to get a feel and compare them. I told him what I said earlier, but he denied the issues.

Each time, the representatives stepped lower and lower (because I'm sure they were aware of the issue). This time the guy said "We can take it back and fix it again for you"

I told him that I could not do that, the Apple Store is too far away from my home, and I didn't have time to waste. He asked me what I wanted to do.
    I told him "Can you swap my hard drive with another Macbook Pro because it's nearly impossible to come back here again?"

He was like "What? I don't see how this relates to the screen at all"

I'm like ... oh boy :rolleyes:

My mom casually burst in saying "Can we return this?" and the guy admitted to a "Yes" after he saw I wasn't going to sign the release paper under any circumstances. I was thinking "Great! Now I can buy a 15" inch" but long story short, it turned out to be a swap. They went back, pulled out a MBP, took it out of the box, and handed it over, and put my old one back in the box.

That's pretty much how it ended, so now I have a new Macbook Pro :)

BTW: He just gave me the computer, no CDs, nada. Will my old CD's for my old Macbook Pro work on this one? Those CDs are 10.6.3 but my new replacement 'Pro came with 10.6.4 installed. Any ideas :confused:

If anyone is curious, yes, I did create that thread "What should I do if Apple damages my Mac." With my luck, that happened I guess.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It should work if both are the same 2010 models.

3. Resist macrumors 68030

Why do people always say they don't mean to be racist, yet bring up race as the issue? :rolleyes:

4. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

The old MBP's CD should work fine for any 2010 macbook pro that has the same specs (which, as your story makes it sound, your replacement has). Obviously you'll have to update, but you'd have to do that regardless.

5. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

You're right. Generally though, a lot of people there don't understand me when I try to explain something to them.

Thanks guys. Gives me some peace in mind. I figured I could call Apple and hope they would buy my story. (Hopefully this whole swap thing is on record)

6. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

This is how you know we get ripped off on parts when it comes to the price.

7. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

With my old Macbook, the limited warranty was suppose to expire July 17th 2011. With this Macbook, it says it will expire Dec 2 2011. They said they would transfer the coverage, but I guess not :confused: Any idea if they'll change it later or not?

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

It will. Warranty replacements are covered on their own for 3 months. Then the original warranty of the product it is replacing takes over...assuming no screwup on their part.

9. secondtonone macrumors newbie

I told him that I could not do that, the Apple Store is too far away from my home, and I didn't have time to waste. He asked me what I wanted to do.

OMG lol This is classic... I really don't get why people say this. Is it out of frustration? I would hope if you spent your hard earned money on something you could make time to bring it in to get repaired and deal with any sort of waiting to make sure everything is fixed and proper. *shrug*

10. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Because those people-and the OP-are racists. Plain and simple. Every Apple store employee in the US I have ever spoken to has an excellent comprehension of English, even if it's not their native language. Let's move on...

11. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

I need my computer for school and I could not wait any longer for Apple to get it right. It wasn't out of frustration, the Apple Store takes an hour to drive too and it's very very hard to find parking (it takes about 20 minutes each time we go), and my mom doesn't have time to keep taking me to the store (I'm only 14). I really doubt the quality of repairs at my local Apple Store too.

I have time to get it repaired with to make sure its proper, but I do not have time to waste with Apple and I do not have time to go without my computer (for school).

I'm not racist at all, I agree, I shouldn't have wrote that. I just wanted to point out the large latino/hispanic community in my area and the reason we spend ~20 minutes just trying to communicate with the person to get my computer.

12. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I guess my advice that I gave to you in the PM worked! :) Did you get your old HDD?

13. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nah. We didn't really talk about it. He just asked if I had a backup and I said "yes".

I kind of prefer the fact that they didn't open it up and swap it. I didn't really keep much on it either because I keep most of my stuff on my desktop. I just wish I didn't need to restore my apps and the few bookmarks I had, but its okay. At least I have a different hard drive that doesn't click a lot like my old one.

By the way, its nice that I got a new battery too. 0 cycles :D

14. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

That's great! Glad to hear they gave you an entirely new computer. You gave it to them in near-perfect condition and received it in a whole lot less that perfect condition. You deserved a replacement.

As a side note: my PM box is near full and decided not to tell you this in a PM; please get on iChat or AIM... :) thanks!

15. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

It wasn't that bad, but I certainly wasn't going to take it in the condition they gave it to me.

Oh sweet! I have iLife 2011, but I don't have the install discs!!!

16. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

I just called Apple to see if they could send me the installation discs and the guy gladly did so. I'm really happy with Apple support :)

So I pretty much got a free upgrade to iLife 11 and my warranty is covered for an additional 6 months too.

17. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

:) Good to hear it worked out. Persistence does pay off, though I prefer to deal with the phone techs as the shipping of the box isn't too bad and they are less likely to deny issues to save face.

18. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

Luckily, now I have phone support until March :)
    I would have sent it off for repairs, but I didn't have an extended warranty just yet.

19. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

awesome story man :) this is another one of those things where you can simple shout "Apple won't fix my problem!" In the store and they'll hand you a brand new computer to make you happy haha :D

20. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

:)
    I'm glad what Apple did for me. It's nothing too special though. It just gives me another chance to not get crumbs/hair under the keyboard.

The computer feels exactly the as my old one though. Its cooler if they upgrade you or give you a new version! (which happens to some people :) )

21. Resist macrumors 68030

A community of latino/hispanic people doesn't automatically mean they don't speak English, which is what you implied. Many on this forum are from parts of the country (or world) where latino/hispanic people don't even speak or understand Spanish, and neither do their parents.

22. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

I understand, but I did not intend to imply racism.