Apple gave me a new phone, I'm confused what method to go with 4.2.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Dammit Cubs, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

So I just got a new phone today. I have been using the 4.0.1 firmware and was very very happy with it.

My lockbutton stopped working as the spring broke. Also when erasing all content and data because I had company email, the phone bricked and in DFU mode, the phone was not restorable. Apple was able to get me a new iphone (not seeing that it was Jailbroken...woot).

But the new iphone is a 4.2.1 firmware and I thought Limerain would have a solution but apparently i was wrong. I have been reading up on RedSnow but apparently his version is tethered at Beta4 (according to my download link from Limerain's website). There seems to be an option to untether the redsnow 4.2.1 firmware only after you have jailbroken it.

What has everyone else done with 4.2.1? I hate having a stock iphone4 phone. SHould I wait or go with the Redsnow option? Is beta 4 the highest beta so far.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Dammit_cubs

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Redsnow.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

It's tethered but thats really no big deal. I think there is a way to untether after you jailbreak. I haven't had any problems with it so far.

One thing to note. After you jailbreak, the cydia icon will be white. All you have to do is boot tethered. Uncheck install cydia "because its already installed" and check "just boot tethered now." Theres a youtube video on how to untether 4.2.1 i'm sure.

3. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

as far as I know, if your phone comes with 4.2.1 and its an iphone 4 there's no untethered jb yet... The only untethered jailbreak for iphone 4 and 4.2.1 is one that uses shshs from 4.2b.

4. Dammit Cubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

if you don't have the 4.2b3 shsh blobs to to the untethering method for redsnow, do you know how to get one? I have the b3 4.2 firmware file but I need to upload the correct blob to cydia so i can complete the untethering.

I haven't started JBing yet. Im just mapping out my strategy.

5. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

I think you need to have it installed in your phone. But, if you already have 4.2.1 you can't downgrade without the blobs. If you have blobs for 4.2b3 then you can have a untethered jb.

6. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

You need to have your 4.2b3 SHSH blobs stored either on Cydia or on your local computer. If you didn't have your phone before a month or two before, chances are you can't and won't have these because Apple stopped signing them. I say IF, because some people have been lucky to receive a previously jailbroken refurbished phone that has a history of SHSH's saved.

7. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

The only way to be on 4.2.1 untethered is to have both 4.2b3 SHSH saved in cydia AND have 4.2b3 ipsw (pirate it or be a developer). Since you just got your phone from Apple with 4.2.1, you won't be able to have it untethered. But if you really absolutely can't u without a jailbreak, then just get the tethered version. I realized I never turn my phone off and if I do, I'm always by my laptop anyways. It sounds like you can't live without the JB so just do it tethered. 4.3 untethered should be out in a couple weeks hopefully.

8. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

I had to get my phone replaced 2 weeks ago for a "no sim card installed" message. I restored so the genius could not tell it was jailbroken before i took it in. He gave me a "new" phone with 4.2.1. When I got home i did the tethered jailbreak, and to my surprise after I launched cydia the phone had shsh's for 4.1, 4.2b3, and 4.2.1! They told me at apple that all of their replacements are new phones.....but looks like they are giving out refurbs and I got lucky. I was able to downgrade back to 4.1 :). Just sharing because you might get lucky too and have a phone that was previously jail broken with saved shsh's.

9. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

It didn't brick. When are jailbreak script kiddies going to learn NOT to use the Erase all content setting in their jailbroken iPhone? It causes a BOOT LOOP.

10. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

There is nothing you can do to get an untether jailbreak today on your phone.
    Forgetaboutit for a while. Wait for the Cronic dev new greenpoison.