Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
The original number on our account was a 773 Chicago number and we have since moved to Michigan. So when I went to add a line to the account yesterday they rung me up in the Apple store and asked if I would like to activate it. I though "Ok, this is where I'll get my new number." So they hand me off to the activation guy who plugs in the phone, iTunes pops up and says "Activation complete" and I'm like WTF, what's my number?

So I ask, and we go under settings and find I got auto-assigned a 331 area code which is in the far western suburbs of Chicago. Obviously there is nothing the Apple rep could do, but anyone have experience with AT&T and changing numbers?

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
In this day and age...is it REALLY an issue?

I have had my current number (a Central TX area code) for the last 5 years...despite living 3 of those years in Houston. My friend has a Corpus Christi area code, yet has lived in Austin, Waco and Midland, TX for the last 10 years without change.

Heck, when I first moved to TX I kept my PA phone number (dropped cell coverage for a 2-year period...or I'd still have that 814 number.)

It really doesn't make any difference. Very few people will be paying more to call your number. It's not like the old days of the Bell System.

If you just want a new number OK...but you really don't need one.

Wegmans

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
Hi I hope what I have to say will help you somehow:

When I first went to AT&T I had Verizon at the same time, with the number I wanted to keep. I had the ATT number for about a week but I received incessant calls from random people looking for some guy. Some were collections, some were probably dealers, and some just hung up.

I went back to the store and told them that I needed a new number because the guy who had this before me was clearly a drug dealer. Perhaps if you go in and request a different number, they can switch it to a local one if you can justify it?

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.