Apple gave up iPhone 4s source code to Samsung

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by himynameiscody, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

What could this mean for apple

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Simple google search.

4. sneaky butcher, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

for everybody else reading this thread:

Samsung has requested apple hand over the 4s source code in their on going legal dispute in australia. Samsung say it needed access to the source code to make their assessment of whether Apple breached the Korean company's patent.

Samsung claims the iPhone 4S is infringing on three of its wireless patents. Along with the source codes, the Korean team also wants to put its hands on the agreements Apple has signed with the Australian carriers, so they can assess the potential patent infringements.

Apple claim theyre having trouble with legal issues obtaining the code by ultimate authors qualcomm. Samsung want apple to prove they have requested the code.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/aus...e-4s-source-code/story-e6frgakx-1226190530729

i googled it but all i found were requests by samsung not that apple had handed it over. I wonder if this will make apple drop their legal action or if they will hand it over.

5. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Link please? I cant find any reference to handing it over, just demands & requests by Samsung to hand the code over

6. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

They sued without even being right? Strong bluff is strong....then again does apple have to give it up to win? What did they think samsung even did

7. JulianL macrumors 65816

As already mentioned, the stories seem to be all about Samsung requesting the source code and not that Apple has actually handed it over.

I'm not a lawyer but have worked on a number of developement projects where I was involved in negotiating agreements where intellectual property was a big issue. As far as I can tell from the reports, if Apple did hand over the source code it's probably not any sort of industry-changing event. Apple would retain the rights (assuming no copying by Apple of Samsung IP is found). The source code would only be for Samsung's experts to examine and would in no way entitle Samsung to use any of the code or original ideas in their future products. In fact Samsung would need to be really, really careful about who they got to examine the code - if any of their developers go near it then they open themselves up to a case of contamination where at some point in the future Apple could claim that a Samsung developer's exposure to the iOS source code had formed the basis for an idea that he/she subsequently implemented for Samsung.

On one of my projects I once had a fairly comical episode regarding contamination. We were working on a joint project with a partner company; the meeting was all under NDA. Our development partner was giving a presentation and a slide came up with some technical details of some technical designs details that related to a technology area then my company was also working on for another project. The developers in the meeting from my company said, as soon as they saw the slide "I'm sorry but we can't be allowed to see this" and they didn't walk out of the conference room, they literally got up out of their chairs and ran for the door. Our lawyers had obviously done a very good job of explaining contamination to them. I guess that potentially their jobs were at stake because my company might have needed to fire them if they were deemed to have been contaminated.

- Julian

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

For future posting of current events, you might want to post a link and quote to and from the article in mention.

That way, all participants of the conversation are referring to ONE article, as opposed to many different ones (Such as will happen from everybody Googling), and each author has different views, so they report differently.

9. megapopular macrumors 6502a

10. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Considering what this particular case is arguing against it would seem that this patent should be owned by Qualcomm. It Samsung or apple. These 2 patents seemed to be requiredby Qualcomm chipset radio baseband.

Also it could be that RIM owns multiple patents similar or that supercede thes Samsung claims. Seriously think about it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.