MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacCentral reports that Apple has obtained exclusive distribution rights to the soundtrack for "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" (Movie Site).

The album is on sale for $9.99 through Apple's iTunes Music Store -- and will not be available in traditional music stores and no physical CDs are being made for the U.S. market.

Omad0n

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2002
Seattle, WA
I think this an intersting move on the part of Apple and the music companies. I'll be very curious to see how sales go. For who knows, if it does well this may become more of a norm. Hard to say though.

Comment

pianojoe

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2001
N 49.50121 E008.54558
Wow! I wonder if THIS isn't encouraging piracy. People will

1) have to find a friend with a Mac AND and ITMS account

2) switch :)

3) find the music in "dark places".

Somehow I feel that 3) will be the option for some people.

Comment

pEZ

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
Interesting. I'd like to see how people deal with this one. Not that anyone will want to pirate it anyway, because i'm sure that soundrack won't be too rockin', but still. From the iTMS you download password protected AAC files, it's a lot more work to burn a cd.

Comment

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
Originally posted by pEZ
From the iTMS you download password protected AAC files, it's a lot more work to burn a cd.

Please tell me you are referring to attempting to burn ACC files on a PC! If not then WHAT KIND OF CRACK ARE YOU SMOKING? I have noticed zero difference (time, ease, etc) between burning ACC files and ripped MP3s (from CD's I own). I have burned plenty of CDs containing all ACC files, all MP3s, and mixes of both. Not one single difference.

Comment

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
it's not!

"In a nutshell, you can play your music on up to three computers, enjoy unlimited synching with your iPods, burn unlimited CDs of individual songs, and burn unchanged playlists up to 10 times each."

Comment

Apple //e

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2003
a hunter
a spy
a scientist
an immortal
a vampire
an invisible man
a beast

hmmmmm......whats missing?

john doe
mcguyver
man from the future
breakdancing-kung fu-a** whippin gorgeous gal
mr t

im willing to replace mr doe for bo (bo knows.....balls)

Comment

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
This is a Good Thing™

I think this is pretty amazing. A first step that if works, will be used in the Windows version of the iTMS to generate more traffic. If everyone can make more profit from selling albums that really wont make alot of money in stores, I would expect to see record companies sell ALOT of their older music and low sellers in digital format only. I hope it works, it would help give Apple hundreds of thousands of old songs and hard to find classics. It makes alot of sense too. You cant keep decades of music in every record store. Now they can sell ALL of the music that never got made into CD's, like really old stuff that was only sold in LP's and in 8 tracks and stuff. Sounds funny, but it would give Apple and incredible amount of titles and get older people to buy more and more music and using Macs.

Comment

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
doesnt this sortta go against the 'we treat everybody equally' thing if what their distro'ing isnt pressed like the rest of the stuff?

Comment

Mercury

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Re: hehe

Originally posted by chewbaccapits
well, one can smell a bomb you know....And this one has ATOMIC written all over it..

Re: the movie, I don't know why you think that. It got booed quite a bit when I saw the trailer, but I don't see why people hate it so. Apparently, the comics have a cult status, which is usually a good thing, and we've got a bunch of different characters and actors together that should combine to make an interesting movie...

I guess we'll see. Is there already a bunch of negative press or something?

Comment

Blackcat

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2002
Cirencester, UK
Re: Re: Re: Re: hehe

Originally posted by Mercury
Re: the movie, I don't know why you think that. It got booed quite a bit when I saw the trailer, but I don't see why people hate it so. Apparently, the comics have a cult status, which is usually a good thing, and we've got a bunch of different characters and actors together that should combine to make an interesting movie...

I guess we'll see. Is there already a bunch of negative press or something?

I've not read the comics but I'm told the movie has little to do with them. Alan Moore has pretty much disowned it too.

Me, I'll see it before I judge it.

Comment

Trimix

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Switzerland
Re: This is a Good Thing™

Originally posted by reyesmac
I think this is pretty amazing. A first step that if works, will be used in the Windows version of the iTMS to generate more traffic. If everyone can make more profit from selling albums that really wont make alot of money in stores, I would expect to see record companies sell ALOT of their older music and low sellers in digital format only. I hope it works, it would help give Apple hundreds of thousands of old songs and hard to find classics. It makes alot of sense too. You cant keep decades of music in every record store. Now they can sell ALL of the music that never got made into CD's, like really old stuff that was only sold in LP's and in 8 tracks and stuff. Sounds funny, but it would give Apple and incredible amount of titles and get older people to buy more and more music and using Macs.

Spot on reyesmac
:)

Comment

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
I'm sure that this will probably be the norm in the future, but right now I think people are still clinging a little to having an actual cd, versus buying songs online.

I was wondering what would happen if people only downloaded their songs off the iTMS, and they lose their laptop, or it's stolen. Would a person be able to redownload songs without having to repurchase them onto a new computer? (pardon if this is a stupid question)

Comment

Trimix

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Switzerland
This has been discussed ad infinitum -
Would you be able to go back to the shop and get a free CD, when your car gets broken into and the CDs lifted from the glove compartment ?

Comment

XForge

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
South Florida
Originally posted by pEZ
Interesting. I'd like to see how people deal with this one. Not that anyone will want to pirate it anyway, because i'm sure that soundrack won't be too rockin', but still. From the iTMS you download password protected AAC files, it's a lot more work to burn a cd.

No it's not; you select the album in iTunes and hit "Burn." Then pop the disc back in and RIP it to MP3 and you can do whateverthehell you like with the files.

Comment

XForge

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
South Florida
Re: This is a Good Thing™

Originally posted by reyesmac

I agree, it's gonna be terrific, but I also think the stupid monkeys in suits at the record companies are still going to try to carefully micromanage every last thing we listen to, the same way they're doing now. But hopefully iTMS and its inevitable competitors will open things up.... as much as it can anyway.

Comment

XForge

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
South Florida
Oh and I want to go on record as agreeing the movie is going to tank. I don't want it to 'cuz it looks like a really cool flick, but they've moved back the release date on this thing two or three times already, and they've changed the trailer at least twice. This says to me that their test audiences hate it and they're scared they're gonna lose their butts. Too bad too 'cuz like I said, it looks like an awesome idea.

I'm gonna go see it, I just hope it's not as Godawful as "The Avengers."

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.