Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
It's becoming increasingly blatant just how much of my disposable income, and likely that of the majority of this board, goes directly to Apple. Between new services and bringing customers deeper into the Apple ecosystem, it seems the more Apple products one owns the more compelled they are to spend money on additional Apple products and services. Owning an iPhone eventually leads to taking an interest in a Mac, an Apple Watch, and then further down the line accessories for those products. Not to mention how tempting it is to upgrade certain devices such as the iPhone or iPad annually. Then, they have so many value additions that this is basically a night club: once you're in the door you can't help but spend more money. Take for instance Apple Music -- although not everyone agrees that it's the best streaming music service, its one major plus is that it works best with Apple devices. Even iCloud, although not the cheapest, seems to be the most convenient for expanding iPhone/iPad/Mac storage that should perhaps have been larger to begin with.

Between a new iPhone annually, a new Mac with every major redesign, a new Apple Watch with every model with band purchases in between, along with Apple Music and other tempting services the majority of my disposable income undoubtedly goes to Apple -- a trend that will only become more prominent with an Apple Car. Unless there's an Apple House and Apple Restaurants in the pipeline, then only almost all of my money will end up in Apple's pocket :0. For now they receive most of my disposable income after considering living necessities like food :p.

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
People need to stop being "tech enthusiasts" and just use their devices for what they need to do.

It's amazing how people will fork out hundreds for new phones, computers, and whatnot, yet they don't want to buy a $10 album or $1.29 or whatever it costs song. And they won't buy games and apps for the same reason.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
People need to stop being "tech enthusiasts" and just use their devices for what they need to do.

It's amazing how people will fork out hundreds for new phones, computers, and whatnot, yet they don't want to buy a $10 album or $1.29 or whatever it costs song. And they won't buy games and apps for the same reason.

This..... Exactly.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have a family and while I do spend a fair amount on Apple stuff, my kids are the primary recipients of my money. Their extra curricular activities can and are very expensive.

Reactions: satcomer

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I got a summer job for the sole purpose of giving all the money I made to Apple. All the money I made over the summer season will soon be a 5k iMac. Its really not a problem. This is what I wanted to do and I knew this when I applied for the job. If Apple is making things that I want and enjoy of course my disposable income is going to go toward their products and services.

Your savings account should be getting your disposable income...
But then its not disposable anymore :D

RossMak

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
My kids then my mountain bike get my disposable income. Apple probably doesn't make the top 5

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
It's becoming increasingly blatant just how much of my disposable income, and likely that of the majority of this board, goes directly to Apple. Between new services and bringing customers deeper into the Apple ecosystem, it seems the more Apple products one owns the more compelled they are to spend money on additional Apple products and services. Owning an iPhone eventually leads to taking an interest in a Mac, an Apple Watch, and then further down the line accessories for those products. Not to mention how tempting it is to upgrade certain devices such as the iPhone or iPad annually. Then, they have so many value additions that this is basically a night club: once you're in the door you can't help but spend more money. Take for instance Apple Music -- although not everyone agrees that it's the best streaming music service, its one major plus is that it works best with Apple devices. Even iCloud, although not the cheapest, seems to be the most convenient for expanding iPhone/iPad/Mac storage that should perhaps have been larger to begin with.

Between a new iPhone annually, a new Mac with every major redesign, a new Apple Watch with every model with band purchases in between, along with Apple Music and other tempting services the majority of my disposable income undoubtedly goes to Apple -- a trend that will only become more prominent with an Apple Car. Unless there's an Apple House and Apple Restaurants in the pipeline, then only almost all of my money will end up in Apple's pocket :0. For now they receive most of my disposable income after considering living necessities like food :p.

You know your 1 year old phone and 2 year old laptop don't just magically stop working when new ones come out right?

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
We bought two horses this summer so the glue on the hoof gets most of my disposable income. The things you highlighted are the reason I won't bury myself in any companies ecosystem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.