Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falcon80

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
For those who have used their trade-in programme (by BrightStar), are they particular on the condition of the phone? My iPhone X has many minor and long scratches on the front and back glass. Will they reduce the value of the phone because of that?

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
I don't think minor scratches affect the value except major ones.

One of the question ask about the enclosure like "Is the enclosure free of signs of bending, major dents, and deep scratches? Are there zero signs of liquid damage? Do all the buttons work as they should?"

Another one ask about the screen "Good shape means the touchscreen functions normally and is free of major cracks, chips, and scratches. Damaged means, well, it’s damaged."

To get a quicker estimate, you can take it to an Apple store which they can evaluate it for you and if you like the value they can send it in for you and you will receive instant credit via gift card.

Falcon80

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I don't think minor scratches affect the value except major ones.

One of the question ask about the enclosure like "Is the enclosure free of signs of bending, major dents, and deep scratches? Are there zero signs of liquid damage? Do all the buttons work as they should?"

Another one ask about the screen "Good shape means the touchscreen functions normally and is free of major cracks, chips, and scratches. Damaged means, well, it’s damaged."

To get a quicker estimate, you can take it to an Apple store which they can evaluate it for you and if you like the value they can send it in for you and you will receive instant credit via gift card.

Thanks for the reply. In my country, the Apple store does not handle this and they refer to Brightstar for evaluation which I will need to send the phone to them. The quoted price online is already quite low so if it is going to be lower due to scratches, I may not take this option.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I did this and doesn’t have to be on the gift card. I purchased the Apple Watch sbss series 4 but didnt do the give back at the time. I took my aw s3 sbss and got a $250 refund back to my card that I used to purchase that watch.

Caspavio

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2018
Singapore. Thanks!

Im from singapore too. in any case, most of your other options like selling online or to resellers, they will deduct money for scratches too.

on carousell, you can find good condition X for 950 sgd easily. alternatively, bring your phone to a reseller can get a quote to set a baseline?

ectospheno

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
I have used the give back program 3 times. Brightstar has always given me the full value of the quote I received before I sent the devices in. I should note though that all devices I returned were in excellent condition and had no scratches.

Tserrof

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2019
For those who have used their trade-in programme (by BrightStar), are they particular on the condition of the phone? My iPhone X has many minor and long scratches on the front and back glass. Will they reduce the value of the phone because of that?
[doublepost=1547679783][/doublepost]Don't waste your time. Brightstar is a complete scam - I have sent 2 perfect iPhones back to this scam company for Apple credit. Both quotes were revised to Zero dollars. One was rejected because of the "enclosure". There were fuzzy dark pictures of the phone laying on some bums underwear, sprawled across his messed up bed. The phone enclosure was absolutely pristine. The second device was also perfect but rejected because "the buttons do not match the quoted device". ***?? How do the buttons not match the serial number device? Are there options for the buttons? I don't think so.

Clearly these guys are essentially stealing devices by changing the credit to ZERO and relying on folks to give up and just leave it. They are a fraud. Do not use!

There is no way to contact a human at their bogus company, so no recourse. I will be contacting the FTC to do a full investigation of this money laundering bogus company. I suggest anyone else robbed by this scam company do the same. There is a class action suit here.

Again, Brightstar is a scam

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.