Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

100531-ipad_4_2_box.jpg

Research firm IDC today announced the debut of its Worldwide Quarterly Media Tablet and eReader Tracker, offering a look at unit shipment data and market share numbers for devices such as the iPad and Amazon's Kindle. While the data included in the initial release is from the third quarter of 2010 and thus is a bit dated, it reveals that Apple held 87.4% of the worldwide media tablet market (distinct from the eReader market in which the Kindle competes) during the quarter.
- Apple definitively led the worldwide media tablet market in shipments and set the standard for technology innovation in 2010, with nearly 4.2 million units shipped in 3Q10 and an 87.4% share worldwide.

- During 3Q10 a handful of tier 2 and tier 3 vendors shipped media tablets based primarily on Android 2.1 and 2.2. In 4Q10, Samsung's introduction of the Galaxy Tab brought the first tier 1 device vendor to the Android media tablet market. Media tablet market growth is expected to accelerate significantly in 1Q11 with new products from multiple high-profile device vendors, including Motorola's Xoom, based on Android 3.0 (Honeycomb), and RIM's BlackBerry PlayBook based on BlackBerry Tablet OS.
In addition to dominating the "media tablet" market, the iPad's estimated 4.2 million units also compare favorably to sales of eReaders, where Amazon's Kindle easily topped the market with 45% share on just 1.14 million units shipped during the quarter.

IDC, which also tracks shipments of computers and phones on a quarterly basis, notes that it defines "media tablets" as those tablet devices with screen sizes ranging from 5- to 14-inches and running "lightweight" operating systems such as iOS and Android. The category is differentiated from "tablet PCs" that run full PC operating systems on x86 architecture on one end and the single-purpose eReaders on the other end.

Article Link: Apple Grabbed 87% of Media Tablet Market in 3Q 2010

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Might as well be called the "iPad market" for as much as it dominates. But even back in the springtime when the iPad was the only game in town, they still pretended there was a "media tablet" market that Apple was merely a part of. They will never give Apple their due.

Even calling these devices "media" tablets is a minor slight. "Yeah, yeah, those things are fine for consuming media, but . . . " is the usual wrongheaded insult.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Honeycomb + Cheaper Tablets + Less restrictive ecosystem + more diverse options will equate into far less than 87% next year for the iPad.

I'd be shocked if it was over 50%

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
I'm actually a bit surprised it's so low. I would've thought the iPad would've broken 90% of the market (not necessarily by much, but...).

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
3Q 2010, the Galaxy Tab hadn't even started shipping. There's no place to go but down for Apple. Keep tapping yourselves on the back while it lasts.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
Honeycomb + Cheaper Tablets + Less restrictive ecosystem + more diverse options will equate into far less than 87% next year for the iPad.

I think Apple's market share will certainly drop, but nowhere near where you postulate. I'm going to say Apple will have at least 66% of the market at this time next year.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
it defines "media tablets" as those tablet devices with screen sizes ranging from 5- to 14-inches and running "lightweight" operating systems such as iOS and Android. The category is differentiated from "tablet PCs" that run full PC operating systems on x86 architecture on one end and the single-purpose eReaders on the other end.]

With this strict (yet accurate) definition, I'm surprised there's anything else to make up the other 13%!

Jcoz

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008

I would almost agree with that, not sure there will be very many "Cheaper tablets" though...

Just the existence of a tablet Andriod operating system + actual products from other manufacturers should be the difference.

I wouldn't be shocked if it was 50% though.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008

I agree...I like the iPad 1.0 but don't love it enough to spend $500 on it...or even $400 on it.

I think more and more people will see Apple's closed-loop system mentality (Mac OS can only be run on Mac hardware, iTunes, App Store, etc) as a lock-in. A lot of people don't like to be locked in and thus forced to pay 1 company for everything (hardware, apps, OS, music, tv shows, movies, etc).

I'm not hating on Apple or the iPad, just pointing out that the more Apple grows and creates these closed-loop systems that Apple "approves", the more annoyed people will get to have to pay the piper.

I think late 2011 and definitely 2012 will be where the Tablet market (however you want to slice it) burns white hot. I think Apple will need to lower the price of the iPad eventually while offering more features (just like the iPod line). The difference between the iPod timeline and iPad timeline is that major computer companies all over the world are not going to let Apple get 90% of the Tablet market like Apple got with the MP3 market. There is soooo much more at stake at the Tablet market than the MP3 market.

Jcoz

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
I think Apple's market share will certainly drop, but nowhere near where you postulate. I'm going to say Apple will have at least 66% of the market at this time next year.

Probably not too far off the mark.

I could see them taking 40-50% of the market this year, which should keep thier overall market share fairly high.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
3Q 2010, the Galaxy Tab hadn't even started shipping. There's no place to go but down for Apple. Keep tapping yourselves on the back while it lasts.

Like most here I have no horse in this race, hence no shoulder tapping.

We just looooovvvee a good product.

While there were "small computers or tablet types" around Apple created THIS market with their new approach and obviously as that they lead immediately by percentage until the other copy cats catch up.

From now on the market will be fractured by a lot of also rans and hopefully some good competition to the ipad will come along, so Apple is being sufficiently challenged to keep improving its products.

In that process we can expect a few lawsuits too, when HTC and Google get going.

kdarling

macrumors P6
IDC, which also tracks shipments of computers and phones on a quarterly basis, notes that it defines "media tablets" as those tablet devices with screen sizes ranging from 5- to 14-inches and running "lightweight" operating systems such as iOS and Android.

Cool. IDC made up a new computer category to grab some headlines.

Perhaps they should subdivide it, as many customers have, into 10" or larger page-sized tablets, and 9" or smaller handhelds... and perhaps even 4" or smaller PMPs.

Thoughts?

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002

Maybe, but I find the nerds always overestimate the ability of the ordinary user. People STILL don't know the difference between left-click and right-click. Less restrictive doesn't mean easier and that's why the iPad sold the way it did.

Jcoz

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
I agree...I like the iPad 1.0 but don't love it enough to spend $500 on it...or even $400 on it.

I think more and more people will see Apple's closed-loop system mentality (Mac OS can only be run on Mac hardware, iTunes, App Store, etc) as a lock-in. A lot of people don't like to be locked in and thus forced to pay 1 company for everything (hardware, apps, OS, music, tv shows, movies, etc).

I'm not hating on Apple or the iPad, just pointing out that the more Apple grows and creates these closed-loop systems that Apple "approves", the more annoyed people will get to have to pay the piper.

I think late 2011 and definitely 2012 will be where the Tablet market (however you want to slice it) burns white hot. I think Apple will need to lower the price of the iPad eventually while offering more features (just like the iPod line). The difference between the iPod timeline and iPad timeline is that major computer companies all over the world are not going to let Apple get 90% of the Tablet market like Apple got with the MP3 market. There is soooo much more at stake at the Tablet market than the MP3 market.

There is certainly a portion of people who feel this way, but I dont think its hugely dominant.

Alot of people here really do overestimate the tech savviness of the people buying these tablets, my parents being a great example.

I tried to forward the video on the 4.3 beta, and they struggle to understand that its not an app for their ipad.

My mother loves her android phone (Evo), but doesnt at all understand the difference between HTC or Motorola and Android, etc...

Most really dont care..........techies, fandroids, apple fanboys, and very young people are pretty much the only people paying attention to the details and daily rumor mill and such...

csouv

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2009
So much for all the sanitary pad jokes, huh. (insert rolling eyes here) I remember reading article after article on how much of a failure the iPad was going to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

Thanks, I missed that part of the original post. :rolleyes:

We're a year from the iPad announcement and 8 months since it's shipped and there is but a single competitor on the market. In fact, no one has been able to match the iPad on screen size of price. If Apple goes revolutionary on iPad 2, it may be over for some before they even ship a product.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
"Media tablets" eh? Absurd. Perhaps we should call consumer PCs "Media Terminals" since the vast majority of people use their home computers for little more than I use my iPad for (email, Web browsing, playing games, watching shows on Netflix, checking sports scores, social networking...). :rolleyes:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Well, uh, congratulations Apple, if you want it, but taking 87% of the market in which you are pretty much the only viable player isn't all that unexpected in my books. Other than a couple of offerings from Archos and the Galaxy Tab (which as others have pointed out, has only been out for a few months), what actual competition was there?

The real test will be this coming year, when some of these other announced tablets begin to show up on the market.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs

Sour grapes it seems. Everyone wins, regardless of your future tablet choice, as did phone consumers in light of the iPhone. The iPad, and this is simple fact, has not only generated and energized an essentially non-existent market, it has caused other predecessors like Microsoft to withdraw and re-enter with improved products. All consumers win here in the market race to keep up with, or best Apple. Your "Galaxy" would still not exist were it not for Apple, anymore than the Droid would have come out as soon as it did. Imitation is still the best form of flattery. And like Apple, or not, we have some amazing consumer electronics that, if they are not made by Apple, they were inspired by and designed to capitalize on a market created or blown open by Apple.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
How did they define "Media Tablet"?

Did the include all the previous (failed) Windows Tablets or Netbooks?

In my opinion, the iPad created a new class of devices (which everyone outside of apple labeled a DOA before the launch). After the success, other companies just started creating competing devices. Kind of obvious that in that case the iPad is the leader during the first year (since it was for most part of the year the only device in the category) .... but hell, I love my iPad and wouldn't want to trade it for anything else. It's not a replacement for any laptop or netbook, it is something new.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Well, uh, congratulations Apple, if you want it, but taking 87% of the market in which you are pretty much the only viable player isn't all that unexpected in my books.

I would say singlehandedly creating a viable new product market is reason for congratulations indeed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.