Apple has a 30-day Return policy right?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FooArk, Sep 20, 2013.

1. FooArk macrumors 6502

Seems like Space grey is in HUGE supply. So could you simply buy that with your new contract then return once Gold/Silver arrives in stock?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Yes, but if you bought it on contract and returned it, it would take a day or two for your upgrade to reset.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Does the carrier contract have 30 day cancellation as well? Just be sure you can undo both. Also what happens if the color of choice isn't available for over 30 days?

4. FooArk thread starter macrumors 6502

what if you signed a new contract to buy it? (new customer)

5. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

I've never heard this before - why couldn't Apple just switch the Sim card out at the store (or otherwise transfer the carrier information to the new phone)?

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Actually, I think the carriers are only 14 days...apple is 30.

Not sure about that one. I would think it may be similar and take a few days to realize you are a new customer again. It is crazy that stuff is not instantaneous.

----------

I may be wrong, but I think a on-contract purchase is tied to more than just the phone. When you return the phone it is essentially returning your contract you agreed to. They only do exchanges for the same color phone, so they would treat it as a return and then resell a new phone.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why give someone the ability to order, cancel, reinstate access immediately. Many people do this to try to be in two lines at once - why give them a break?

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

very true.

9. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

Plenty of people have say bought an Android phone with an upgrade at a carrier, then gone back and returned that phone in favor of an iPhone. How do carriers treat that?

I'm asking because I ordered a 5c, I may return it this weekend for a 5s in store - would that result in me being without phone service for a few days?

10. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I don't know for certain. Maybe it is different if you are doing things in store, but I know if you place an order online and then cancel there is that time lapse. The scenario you just mentioned means they can do it differently in store otherwise it would be chaos.

11. tivoboy macrumors 68030

depends on the state

It also depends on the state, in CA we have a 30 policy on new cell phones regardless of where it is purchased. Many states are the same.

12. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Yes, if you can find a gold or sliver iPhone 5s in the next 30 days. The Apple Store said you can definitely return it and get the color of your choice if it's available. That said . . . good luck. The Apple Store in Cincinnati had only 7 silver or gold iPhones and there were hundreds of people in line who had the choice of space grey or space grey. LOL :eek:

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is the key, in my opinion. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. I would just order online and wait for it to come.

14. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

i heard the lady at my apple store telling people to feel free to buy space grey now and then exchange it for silver or gold as long as its within 30 days. can even do it after 30 days but it will be harder because you have to go through the carrier.

15. Allport1954 macrumors member

16. FooArk thread starter macrumors 6502

what if you're signing a new contract instead of upgrading?