Apple has a toxic and sexist work environment.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DrewDaHilp1, Sep 15, 2016.

1. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

So says leaked e-mails.

"Even some men are said to have been the victim of harassment at Apple, with one being told on several occasions that he was on his “Man Period,” according to the report."

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Employing snowflakes must be a pain. Unless they threatened to rape someone, it's not harassment, it's poor taste. Sounds like two guys telling a joke and someone listening in.

3. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

This is excellent news for my new startup company that manufactures "[ ] days since somebody's feelings got hurt" signs for the workplace. We were thinking of a partnership with OSHA but we're quickly realizing they have no clue about what is important safety in today's workplace.

4. DrewDaHilp1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

With the permanent 0 always being on display you would never make any money on other number.

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Not entirely surprising if you ask me.

The tech industry is entirely dominated by men. Mix stereotypes of women and a competative environment and there you have issues.

Apple is I can only imagine is a very competitive workplace. High demands, perhaps the cream of the crop employees in many areas in the industry. I would think that would easily make a very cut throat environment.

Then again, this may just be a localized issue in a company of thousands, or may indeed be an endemic issue.

6. sim667 macrumors 65816

So racism wouldn't be considered "harassment" in your workplace.

Nice.

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Not a surprise. Seems like half of apples employees are teenage girls anyways, since their killer feature for iOS 10 is ****ing stickers and balloons in iMessage.

8. DrewDaHilp1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Let's take a streamlined, quick easy to use format and bloat it with useless features! Great idea!

9. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

It's only harassment if the guy is ugly.:p If someone like Jake Gyllenhaal makes an inappropriate joke at a woman, she would go gaga. Potential BF material.:eek: If I smile at a woman, it's creepy and perverted. Harassment!:(:(:(

It's a tech industry. You can probably count the number of good looking dudes working in Tech on one hand.:p

10. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I love you for this comment.

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Your comment was not warranted. You're going in: harassment, cyber-bullism, and cyber-stalking. I think we can also find some grounds for assault.

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Apple should introduce a line of cyber-bullying emojis.

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

These aren't enough?

❄️

14. DrewDaHilp1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Apple believes in safe space emojis, hence the take the revolver away and add a squirt gun. Little do they know I just pretend it's a laser pistol!

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Erm... telling jokes about rape is unprofessional, rude, threatening and indicates a serious lack of judgment. An employee overhearing such a joke should be able to raise it as a concern. Personally, I'd get fired if I made such a 'joke' where I work.

16. DrewDaHilp1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Easy solution. Don't talk about anything that's not work related. Then you'll be known as the unfriendly person.

17. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

This is not necessarily fault of the industry. I have been involved with the hiring process, but the amount of applicants that are females are almost non-existent. It is hard to hire someone who just isn't there.

18. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

To put everything in context, this video is at the heart of this "controversy."

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Oh they have them, it's just that Tim cracked down on leaks, and emojis are super-sensitive.

20. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Perhaps before the VCs deliver their quarterly dump truck full of cash and liquor they should hand out a flyer reminding the recipients about workplace etiquette.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Oh Im sure Phil Schiller is such a ladies man. :p And Jony Ive has that British voice the ladies love so much. Until he starts saying that what you are wearing is awful and that you need to be thinner and that only he knows what people want and it's not a headphone jack you hussie. :D

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, it is harassment if the guy lacks social calibration and subsequently uses that to justify the fact that he flagrantly ignores boundaries.

23. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah because some guys make the tech environment pretty hostile for women and maybe it's not getting better as time has gone on. Word gets around. There are other occupations where the levels of contempt are not as high, leaving aside actual harassment as defined by laws.

I will not regret the tech path I took because it was a lot of fun, paid well, let me have flex hours, take vacation in days, etc. At the time some of those benefits were not typical for jobs more typically held then by women. I don't know for sure what it's like now.

Back then there wasn't so much harassment of women in tech as there was surprise that we were there. Sometimes it was hard to tell the difference unless you had grown a thick skin.

Women (and maybe women of color especially) of a certain age now will have similar stories of having been asked to set out some coffee cups or fetch some pencils or something like that when they show up early for a conference.

"Hi, could you tell me where they keep some extension cords?"

"I don't know. I'm Liz Kat, the project manager. I'll try to find out."

"Oh, sorry, I thought you worked here."

"I do work here. For Bill Haven, you know him?"

"Right, right, but you know what I mean."
    Yes indeed I do. Now see I personally would not have considered that harassment or discrimination because I personally was helping blaze a trail for women even being in the workplace as other than a clerk to begin with. I got used to hearing far more blatant and intentional assaults on the idea of a woman coming out of her place in the world of work outside the home.

I was actually told by a young hedge fund partner once that he resented the idea of women starting to get into computer programming (as I had done) "because you know, once they --and he said "they"-- get a foot in the door in a place like this, the next thing you know they'll be trying to get into the business side and actually do the kind of work Bob and I do."

Heh. Strike one. I thought about it for a minute. All I could think to say was "You're probably right!" He looked a little startled then and said "Well I was exaggerating there but you know what I mean."

Yep. Strike two. Fortunately for him I was almost done fixing his quarterly reports.

Even today I believe there can be a subtle assumption that a woman might have some little streak of your basic clerk left in her on the job, even if she came into the place with a triple major in CS, business and bioengineering. And even if she walks into that conference room with a 7-digit salary and an executive office title.

And the trouble is, that's the kind of assumption that the nice guys on the job might make.

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I'd like to point out that 'computer' used to be a job description, and they were mostly women. Women were much more represented in computer programming until video games became prevalent, then their participation tanked. I wonder why*....

*Could it be that the males who devoted themselves to those games can't handle being around women? Just a guess.

25. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

i'm not sure what looks have anything to do with it