Apple has given me the option to refund 15" Unibody to get 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NStocks, Feb 1, 2009.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

Okay, I won't bore you with the pages of details, but I emailed apple corporate a few days ago and they got back to me, saying the because I've had 3 units and I still have problems with the current one, they will set up a return for me so that I get a full refund, so that I can place a new order for the 17". She said that once this order has been placed and delivered, that I should send her the details and she would then credit me £70 for the inconvenience.

I've worked out how much it will cost, and to upgrade with the student discount from the base model 15", I will need to pay around an extra £400. I replied to her email saying that the price of the 17" is a but pricy and that I shouldn't have to upgrade in order to get the ' Pro ' features ( poor quality screen ), but she hasn't replied yet.

I'm debating whether or not to pay over £1,600 for a Laptop, or just stick with what I have and save the money for University which is where I will be going in September. I can afford to buy the 17" and still keep the 15", but I don't want to pay all that money for a Laptop ( not expecting it for free either ! ).

What are your suggestions/ what would you do ?

NStocks

P.S I can live with the screen bleed on the 15", but come on 17" has a loads better screen, it's faster, more memory and amazing battery life ( theoretically )

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

If you only have to pay £400 for it you should do it.

3. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

I'd get a total refund and wait closer to September before buying an upgraded model.

Apple aren't doing you a huge favour. In the past when I've had multiple problems with a MacBook I've had a free upgrade to a MacBook Pro.

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

maybe I am missing something here

To upgrade from the 15 inch to the 17 inch would be about 400.

Then you say the laptop will cost you 1600.

Are you talking about keeping the one you hae and buying something completely dfferent?

5. kolax macrumors G3

Why are you upgrading to the 17" for the "Pro" features?

The 15" MBP screen is great quality. Unless you are referring to the matte version of the 17" (and obviously the very high resolution) but in no means is the 15" screen "poor".

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

that is what I would do.

BTW what are the issues you are experiencing?

7. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I mean the screen is better quality because it has a higher resolution ratio and the gamut is greater isn't it ? It also uses a different panel.

The issues I did experience were screen bleed, both on the current and 2nd replacement. Super drive failure, constant rev up on the fans, and very higher temperatures. Random crashes, and it would never wake from sleep ( after the updates ), loose battery cover.

I may have worked it out wrong, but it will cost around £450 or more to upgrade to the 17" MBP from the 15" which cost me around £1,200. I would only get the 17" once I have being properly refunded ( they sent me over 6 email from someone that keeps saying I would be receiving cheques, and credit memo's , the corporate representative is looking into this also )

drlunanerd : did they really upgrade you for free, I was kind of expecting a slighter bigger discount other than the £70 she offered me.

I don't know what will happen if I don't upgrade, again she hasn't replied when I asked her this.

NStocks

8. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Yep. I went through 3 Black MacBooks when they first came out. When the third was completely DOA, I demanded a refund and told them I'd not be buying any more laptops from Apple until they got their quality control sorted. At that point the Customer Relations agent offered me a free upgrade to an MBP.

9. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

That's great ! I told them that there Quality Control is poor ( in my case ), and that if the issues are not sorted then I want a refund and have done with it !

My Customer service, weren't too good, mainly because they never set up a replacement when they told me that had done, and they never bothered to call me back when they informed me they would. Apple customer relations, did get the process up to speed, but even now they haven't replied to me, hence why I went to corporate.

10. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Just checked: it was Customer Relations I dealt with. They were pretty good.

11. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I spoke to them, and they sent me iLife '09 for free for the inconvenience, even though I told them I didn't want it, as I can upgrade for £7.95, but they still sent it. Then they emailed me to let me know about delivery, since I replied they haven't bothered to reply back to me... They still seem to have more sense than customer Services !

NStocks

12. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Eh? You now get iLife '09 with new Macs anyway. Great peace offering :rolleyes:
    How many MBPs have you gone through now?
    Just call your agent and tell 'em you want a refund. I mean you can't lose, if they don't offer you a free upgrade or significant discount then keep your cash and wait for the next upgrade, unless you absolutely need a new laptop right now.

PS unless Apple offer you a free upgrade to the 17" I'd hold fire on buying one until we've seen some reviews of it. Apple saying "teh best display in da wurld 111!!!" doesn't mean it'll be any good ;):D

13. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

If you need a bigger screen and a larger battery life - then you should consider one. To me, £400 is quite expensive. If you think the £400 is going to be useful to you - only then get it.

Personally, I would go for the MBP and use the extra dosh on accessories.

My 2 pennies worth.

14. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I know ! that's what I told her, but unfortunately my latest replacement didn't come with it...

I'm on my third Macbook Pro, and I need a laptop because I don't want to go back to my desktop Pc which is all boxed up and ready to be sold, besides I prefer working from Leopard any day over Vista.

I don't have a phone number for corporate, as I just emailed my problems to contactus@euro.apple.com. I could wait and see what she says in terms of getting more discount, because quite frankly I don't want to spend another months wage on a laptop ( I'm a student working 15 hrs/week ) and I also need the money for driving tests.

If they give me a discount that is more realistic, then do you think I should delay the return for at least another week and wait for initial reviews, before ordering, but as I bought it via Tele sales I don't know if they will reduce the price ( other then issuing me with money once I've paid for it )

The Samurai: I don't need a bigger screen because I have got use to the downsize from a 26" LCD Tv which was used with my pc, prior to my Mac purchase. I edit quite a lot of Photo's and my laptop will be used for ArchiCAD, which is software used to create 3d Architectural drawings, so the screen size would help ( but it's not worth over £450 ) Oh and I have already bought my accessories, a 500gb external HD, a wireless mouse, a case.

15. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Thanks NS for clarifying.

If it was me, I would pay the 400 and take the 70 gift card. then you are done, you won't have to worry about the "should I have gotten the 17" " syndrom and all the other What ifs...... See if they can through on the ilife in leui of the 70 card.

Dell did something very similar with me with a plasma TV.
    At one time I have 5 plasma tvs sitting in my home theater, all with the same defect. They refunded the full purchase price plus shipping and gave me a $150 usd gift card. I ended up with the TV I originally wanted, spent 300 more and was happy.

16. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

The £70 is going to be 'cash' but debited to my credit card, so it's just like a £70 refund, if I upgraded, bot sure what's going to happen if I don't upgrade. If I don't hear from them again by tomorrow, then I might just call apple relations and ask to speak to the manager and see what they can do.

NStocks

17. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

In negotiations you need to decide what's the minimum you will accept and what's the best you can hope for.
    In this case it sounds like you're dead set on needing an MBP right now* So that limits your bargaining power with Apple.
    I would call them, tell them you are a student, can barely afford the 15" and have worked months to save up for it. You have ended up with 3 lemons. £70 off is not good enough and seeing as though the QC on the 15" is so ***** the only option is for Apple to upgrade you for *free* to the 17".

I think you then need to be prepared to state that otherwise you want a full refund. If they don't go for it you'll then have to get your refund, order another 15" and hope for the best again.

If you want a number for customer relations let me know.

*I mean, when I was studying I made do with an old IBM PS/2 running Windows 3.11! Kids of today etc.

18. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you, this is something alongs the lines of what I need to tell them. I have got a number that was suppost to be for customer relations, 0845 600 1683, but thats for applecare or 0870 876 8753 is for customer relations, or the other way round and apparantley these are the only numbers I can use ( that are in the UK )

I wouldn't mind waiting another 2 weeks, but if I did just get a full refund and re-order the 15", do you think Apple will need student proof again, as it's already on their records. It's not fair that I should have to go through all this again, but that's life...

NStocks

19. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I share the thoughts on calling Customer Relations and telling them that you deserve a free upgrade to the new 17" MBP. If they do not agree, I would demand a full refund and tell them you'll buy a Dell. Then I would either buy another 15" or a refurbished MBP. The refurbished are thoroughly tested and a great value. I would wager that they will give you the upgrade.

20. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Do you have the number for customer relations, or is it the one I have stated above?

What exactly should I say to them, they will have no idea I contacted corporate ( should i tell them I have ), do I start out right from the beginning of when I got my first Mac and the problems with each unit and with previous calls etc. The email I sent contained over 1150 words !

I need to get this part right first time and make it sound that I will actually get a refund ( which I'm dreading as I don't want one ), should I ask to speak to their manager right away, as talking to the representative will be a waste of time won't it.

Thank You

NStocks

21. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Really... are you alive? Is MacRumors a channels for speaking with dead people?

You live in Paradise... three exchanges, best offers, free upgrades... If you are alive, I wish I lived there with you...

22. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

hmmm, and yet I still have a defective unit and payed over £1,100, it's not exactly your average price tag for a notebook is it. And why should I keep a unit that isn't up to standard...or at least a standard that Apple is suppose to be know for. I haven't been offered any free upgrades, they have given me iLife ( which will only cost me £7.95 ) and if I decide to pay the upgrade fee of more than £450, I get £70 refunded to my card.

It's the least they could do, due to the fact I have spent more than 4 hours on the phone to them at my expense, and taken a day of work to expect phone calls, and a day off college to wait for a delivery and collection of defective products.

... hardly in paradise if you ask me.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When you have a Black MacBook and they offer you a MacBook Pro that's like a $400USD difference; when you go for from a base model MacBook Pro to a 17" that's like $700USD difference. It's not the same; I would understand if they gave you the mid-range 15" MacBook Pro, but expecting a company to give you their flagship device as a free upgrade is unjustified; quite frankly, I've had a number of issues with my current computer, but do I go asking for a replacement and free upgrades? No. You've had issues; they offered you a refund because by law they have to. Otherwise, they have absolutely no obligations on their half once they refund you money—you are no longer a customer.

And you mention you're in college… is missing a day of classes worth waiting for a computer? What happens if that day there is a test or the professor decides to give all attendees a freebie quiz. I doubt they would take any excuse of your absence.

I used to waste my time on frivalous things like waiting for computers and other stuff. What I have learned is missing classes will become a habit and when that habit kicks in, next thing you know flunking. Oh you may take this advice lightly and tell yourself it won't happen to you—good luck.

24. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Well, here in this country that some people persist in defining civilized (Italy), I spent march-november 2008 with a defective early 2008 MBP. My machine went three times to service (meaning 1 month without notebook for me) and it was continuously freezing while it was with me. I spent 67 euro on the phone with apple, just waiting on the phone because no representative dared to answer) and the only way to receive a new unit was to beg the owner of an important apple shop to intervene. If it were for apple, I would still be cursing at a frozen laptop. A freeze-prone laptop worth 1700 euro when, in this "civilized" country, the average salary (and mine is in the average) is a bit more than 1100 euro per month.

So yes, it sounds like paradise.

thistle

25. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

despite what the last 2 posters have said, they still haven't sorted my problems out, and yes taking a day off college to wait for a laptop, that I have scraped and saved for is worth it. My college sucks anyway, and all the work I can catch up on as it's all uploaded to the internet. ( don't start by saying that I'm lucky to have an education, if I went or not, that wouldn't help the fact that not every single child in the world has being educated )

This still doesn't explain why I was given poor customer service ( no not because I was expecting freebies on each call), but because I was always put on held, I was promised on more than one occasion that someone will call me back, and that returns had been set up and only to find out 4 days later it was not.

Again, I have not mentioned about getting it for free, though it would obviously be nice. I'm willing to pay so much, but it's not worth the full asking price even if it's guaranteed to be free from defects. This is my first Mac, and from what I gathered on here over the past 14 months, Apple are a company who always think about the customer, and that's their number one selling point, but for me the customer services haven't been that great.

Oh and lordthistle, it's not my fault how customer service or any form of service and agreement differs from country to country, but in the UK a company that sells you defective products are by law suppose to replace them until they are fit for purpose.

I don't want a refund because Leopard is far more advanced than Vista, and quite frankly I could not go back.