Apple has got to do something about all of the safari/chrome crashes!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by JoeG4, Dec 31, 2013.

1. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Sorry, I have to vent this somewhere. I've been using my 5S since I got it, quite happily i might add, but every time I'm sitting around surfing the internet, I'll hit a link and suddenly Safari (or Chrome) blows up and I'm back at the home screen.

Seriously Apple, wtf? It crashes more than I remember anything crashing in gingerbread .. 3 years ago! That sucks :(

That's my only complaint about iOS 7. Otherwise it's been great.

2. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

wait for 7.1. From 7.1 beta 2 feedbacks no more crashes on 5S

3. matttye macrumors 601

Happens to me also. I get quite a few Apple screen crashes too.

4. Sven11 macrumors 6502a

My 5S doesn't have these problems. :confused: Maybe you should restore it.

5. Todd B. macrumors 6502

If Chrome is crashing, how is that Apple's fault? Google should hire better programmers.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Could be down to the use of UIWebView which is an iOS thing that all browsers have to use.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I don't have any problems with Safari or Chrome on my 5s either. Have you actually done any troubleshooting or are you just assuming it's an Apple issue?

8. cynics macrumors G3

It's the Apple coding that iOS browsers use hence why safari crashes now and the crashes are fixed in Chrome with an Apple update to 7.1.

Just a little FYI :)

9. JoeG4 thread starter macrumors 68030

JoeG4

It's a problem with iOS' web core, you guys don't see it probably because the websites you visit regularly don't trigger the crashes. Generally speaking, no website should be able to crash a browser. When it happens more than like, once a week you've got a problem.

In iOS the problem is magnified since Apple will not approve web browsers that don't use their (buggy) core.

It's probably not a hardware problem because if it was, everything would be crashing on my phone all the time, and that's not the case. There's only 1GB of ram, if the memory was defective it'd be pretty obvious.

7.1 can't come fast enough XD

10. MrGuder macrumors 68020

How does March 2014 sound?
    :(

11. JoeG4 thread starter macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Why can't they just fix the dang web core and push an update for that?

It is ludicrous to wait for everything else. A full .1 update could take a while. This is the kinda crap Google rolls into their play services updates.

12. iOSBry macrumors 6502

Throwing in my two cents - iOS 7.1 beta 2 fixes most, if not all Safari crashes at least in my case. I'm sure there are edge cases that aren't fixed but since loading beta 2 on my iPhone 4S, 5S and iPad 2, I've not had Safari crash once.

In fact, I've had only one crash since loading beta 2 three weeks ago and that was Settings-> Notification Center.

IOSBry

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I hold out very little hope for iOS7.1
    iOS7 itself was released in very much a 'beta' state and still several months later the chronic and widespread battery drain has not been fixed. There are still serious safari issues and the whole thing is beyond a joke now. I am very disappointed with Apple and my experience with the iPhone 5 is seriously making me ponder jumping ship when my contract expires. I've had nothing but problems with the i5 and then iOS7 came along to completely ruin the Apple experience.

14. Thepoobear macrumors 6502

Waiting till march to fix a major issue is assanine. It's not like we are asking Apple to hurry up and give us some trivial feature...We are asking that our newly purchased products work as expected.

15. sixrom macrumors 6502a

It would be a refreshing change if Apple would deliver a less buggy version of iOS.

They're getting worse not better. After years as a very loyal customer who knows what Apples capable of, these issues are obviously a result of sheer complacency, not a lack of technical expertise. Apples engineering skills are second to none, only greed gets in the way. Hurry, hurry, get it to market, is the Apple mantra causing it's users grief, lost time and aggravation.

Only Apple users allow this and keep praising the Cupertino company.

16. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Indeed! My iPhone 4 was perfect for 18 months and I loved it. I sang Apple's praises to everyone but in comparison, modern tech speed improvements excepted, my iPhone 5 has been a piece of junk and iOS7 despite looking nice etc performs infinitely worse for me than iOS6 did.

17. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

March is only two months away now. That doesn't matter however as iOS 7.1 won't be released in March anyway, since that rumour aired there have been none since. Beginning of February is when it will be released.

18. sixrom macrumors 6502a

Your assessment is very true.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps that's because they are trying to fix a major issue rather than a trivial one...which takes some time when done properly.

20. Shuri macrumors 6502

Why don't you share those sites which trigger these crashes, maybe some of us could reproduce it? :)

Don't have got a 5S but an iPad Air laying around (So at least it's the same SoC)

21. Thepoobear macrumors 6502

Beta 2 shows that the fix is likely complete. An incremental update should be released to fix it now, not in march with whatever else they deem necessary.

They did this with .01 through .04

Constant browser crashes are MAJOR.

22. C DM, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

C DM macrumors Westmere

Likely complete doesn't mean that it is complete nor does it mean that it's been tested well yet. Rushing something like this is exactly the type of thing that can easily lead to the type of issues that exist in 7.0, which is what you'd want to avoid, right?

7.0.x were minor releases or even small bug fix/tweaks releases that didn't involve large underlying changes, while something like this can easily involve some large changes requiring a bigger release.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have fixed these kinds if issues earlier, or should have had them in 7.0 to begin with, but given where they are the timing and the release scheduling that it might take to fix it all properly (hopefully) doesn't really seem unrealistic or even unnecessary.

23. SumYoungGai macrumors 6502a

Chrome crashes on me whenever I open it after a period of inactivity.
    I'm on a 5s on 7.1 beta 2.

24. cynics macrumors G3

Do you mean "crash" or "refresh"? Does it just refresh the web pages or does Chrome crash and kick you out of the app back to the home screen?

25. JoeG4 thread starter macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Shot actually kicks you back to home.

I was just scrolling through a thread on reddit a few minutes ago when Safari crashed on me