Apple has removed "unlocked" word from the online store for tmobile model!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shankar2, Sep 24, 2013.

1. shankar2 macrumors 6502

Hi,

Just yesterday if you selected a Tmobile contract free iphone 5s, the summary on the upper right corner which shows what you selected showed "Unlocked"

Now Apple has removed this word "unlocked" from the description.

IF this is not unlocked I shall return it that's for sure!

2. blhoward2 macrumors 6502

If buying from Apple, you can but the AT&T phone at full price and upon restoring in iTunes it is unlocked.

If buying from AT&T/Best Buy/etc it will still be locked.

3. henryonapple macrumors 6502

I'm sure it's still unlocked, remember to restore your phone when you get it to see if you get the unlocked message.

4. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

Apple removed it to cause confusion and for resellers to cancel their orders. But it's unlocked.

Well, as long this message below remains the same:

5. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

Sadly they can't right now. The model is unlocked, but T-Mobile must have requested Apple to remove all the "Unlocked" stuff on the website to cause confusion and make people think the phone is locked.

7. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

They removed the unlocked wording probably to cut down on resellers ordering and taking all of the stock.

8. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

We would have to confirm all of this when the shipment arrives! It seems only a few people have received their tmobile contract free iphone 5s.

9. 617aircav Suspended

My att 5s bought at full price was not unlocked. No idea why it wasnt.

10. Dawgy macrumors newbie

Can anyone who has received this phone confirm if it is unlocked? I'm assuming that it is and Apple is being dumb, but now I'm concerned since I bought the T-Mobile version to have an unlocked phone (AT&T service).

11. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi, Where'd you purchased it from?

12. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

While i'm not worried about my 64GB T-Mobile 5s that I paid full price (device only) for being locked, I called Apple to see if there's a reason why the "Unlocked" part was removed from the website, and the Rep didn't have ANY info, and said it was still a Contract-Fee iPhone.

Then they offered me an Official Apple iPhone 5s case... WOW. Pretty impressed with Apple. First they waive the expedited shipping fee, and now they offer me a $39 case? (they must be cheap to manufacture)

As it's been confirmed by MANY that the DEVICE ONLY iPhones are unlocked 100% from every carrier BUT Sprint, i'm thinking Apple did this to deter scalpers/resellers from purchasing until they can catch up.

I honestly don't think Apple would of sold 9 Million devices during launch weekend, if they didn't offer the device-only option.

13. KPOM macrumors G5

If you bought it from AT&T or a reseller it will be locked. However, since you paid full price, you can submit a form at AT&T's website and request it to be unlocked.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

14. mjcxp macrumors regular

I purchased mine for full retail price at best buy and it kept saying this phone is unable to be unlocked on the request form. I then used the chat informed her I purchased it for full retail price. I gave her my imei number and she unlocked it immediately.

15. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

If you purchase full price from any retailer other than Apple it will be locked.

16. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

There will be many customers who have bought the iphone 5s / tmobile here and I am waiting for their experience posted here!

17. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

it doesn't say unlocked but it will be. apple only removed the wording probably because tmobile complained and didn't want people buying the phones and not activating service with them.

18. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

I noticed if you check on your order status for those that ordered the T-Mobile contract-free, the word T-Mobile Unlocked has been removed. It shows up as iPhone 5s 16GB Gold (GSM) now.