Apple has stopped shipping old imacs to resellers.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jaminunit, Jun 23, 2012.

1. jaminunit macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I live in Berlin and we don't have an apple store here only resellers anyway I went to one of the biggest resellers here and was having a really long chat to a sales rep.

So I have a 17" macbook pro that was released just before the thunderbolt. and I went to the mac reseller to buy an external monitor for it.

So I asked the guy hay can you get a thunderbold converter for this nice (future proofed) thunderbold external monitor.

Then he said, no sorry man, actually you are in a tricky situation with your mackbook pro because if you buy a cinema display(no thunderbolt) then that will work great with what you have now but if you decide later to upgrade you MBP then you will be using up your only thunderbolt port with a this external monitor and then you cant daisy chain any hard drives or what ever else you want to use thunderbolt for.

I was like DAMB YOU APPLE!!!!! NO NEW IMAC AND NOW THIS!
    LOL

any way he then looked around (shifty eyes) and said ....

Just between you and me just wait on buying because there will be a new imac very soon.
    I said what?? how do you know that?

He said well I don't for sure but I do know that apple has stopped supplying us with imacs. We cant order any more of them. And I have worked here for a long time and that is a sure fire way of knowing there is an update in the pipeline. (actually said in german)

Hmmmmmm

anyway so I didn't buy my monitor and am hoping for a release in the next couple of weeks.

So I dont think he would have lied because I was ready to buy that monitor and he told me to not buy! So I dont think he is pulling my leg.

Can someone out there please go to a mac re seller near them and see if they can still order new (old) imacs from apple. Especially in Germany but I think it should be world wide. (not sure)

Cheers
    J

2. garrize macrumors regular

garrize

Interesting... I'm gonna try to check that out here in France!

3. leman macrumors 604

The german Amazon also only has 4-5 iMacs per model in stock - usually it is around 40-50. Seems like you might be right.

4. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

I have been monitoring Amazon .com, .co.uk, .de and .jp since WWDC, they are still getting shipments, but only of around 5-10 machines, the shipments are just barely keeping up.

5. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

Sounds correct, I was at jbhifi today and a couple obviously inexperienced about macs was enquiring about purchasing an iMac, I over heard them saying they never had one before, screen looks big etc etc.

The sales rep looked REALLY keen to sell this iMac, more keen than I've ever seen. Don't know if it's me but that could be a way of clearing their stock for the new models.

6. iNorway macrumors newbie

Norwegian largest internet shop does has same situation, no stock at this point, which is unlikly for such gigantic company , not being able to order to keep up stock. If stock no show up next week, pretty sure, they already stopped order OR they can no longer order anymore.

Links :

http://www.komplett.no/k/kl.aspx?bn=11096&mfr=APPLE

7. Imaginethe macrumors regular

.co.uk have had no deliveries in weeks. Last week they pretty much ran out. The macs are only available from third party amazon sellers now.

Also Comet/PcWorlds stocks have dwindled, when I asked in store recently at PcWorld, they said they were unsure of when they could get deliveries.

I am hoping.

8. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

I doubt the kids at jb hifi are on Apple's memo list. They're keen to sell you an iMac because it means they might not get fired tomorrow.

9. Overg macrumors 6502

Very interesting.... The resellers is great probe to check apple inventory status, while they can hide it in their apple store they can't hide it with the resellers.

10. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Cool! Let's hope your reading of the tea leaves is correct.

11. Scythe5 macrumors regular

Hmm. I does seem like good news, but would they really start squeezing the pipeline a month out? Apple only has a 5 day inventory.

I know some have speculated on a iMac release in early july, but wouldn't they wait until ML is released. May not really matter at this point if it's an app store update, but I would expect some kind of little show about it. Then again, Apple has done silent updates before.....

GAHHH!!!!

12. Occamsrazr macrumors 6502

If they released the iMac now, I would probably just wait until ML came out so I didn't have to deal with the upgrade

13. Metal Dice macrumors regular

Metal Dice

Well, some major resellers in Denmark have either none or only a few iMacs in stock.

However, the only sure way to know is the online Apple store, and right now they have all models in stock.

14. Overg macrumors 6502

We already talked about this Marco blog.
    However how can you explain the problematic inventory in te resellers?

15. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

Well, I want new iMacs out asap, but one of the reasons COULD be the strain on production due to new MacBooks. Not sure how things work on that end, but a theory all the same.

16. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

I don't understand what the problem is with just buying a 2011 iMac if you really need a new Mac. A modest speed bump and probably USB 3.0 is all one can hope for by waiting for the next refresh.

The only reason I upgraded from my 2007 20" iMac was to be able to keep everything on one monitor. I never used more than 35% of the CPU and I do some fairly intensive DAW work with multiple instrument libraries and effects.

A few months after the next model comes out there will be rumors of something "better" coming out and the wishing, hoping and praying will start up again. :D

17. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

I could type up an entire list of things, but there's plenty of that in other threads at the moment, so go and have a peek there. ^_^

18. angusmcfisher macrumors member

Does the current 2011 iMac ever suffer when using multiple instances of resource intensive libraries, such as LASS, Symphobia etc? I'm currently using a 2009 17" MacBook Pro with 8gb RAM, 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo, but I find that it is struggling to perform now on a daily basis, receiving Error while trying to sync Audio and MIDI or Disk Is Too Slow or System Overload errors.

19. CrispEditor macrumors newbie

amazon.co.uk is really bad. There stocks seem to be in the units or non-existant.

Something strange is happening because amazon are now selling refurbs for more than the NEW price; one point this week the 3.1GHz was cheaper than the 2.7GHz model, and it looks like the prices flip daily. Resellers are now able to move prices northwards - way past the NEW price.

It does feel like in the next week or two they will arrive.

Amazon is definitely a good sampling point.

20. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

I'm guessing there was a small uptick in sales straight after WWDC once people realised the wait could go on for a long time. Apple and my local reseller both seem to not be having problems with stock though.

21. leman macrumors 604

A much faster GPU and USB3 are alone reasons enough.

22. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

Everybody keeps mentioning reasons to refresh/update, and sure they are all valid, but would Apple have any reasons (if it is indeed just a spec bump) NOT to refresh them? Aside from the whole "Apple-is-going-mobile-only"-discussion?

23. HurryKayne, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

24. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

To have a reasonable amount of time for sales for the back to school promo, which ends September 21st, I would expect they need at least a month and a half or 2, which puts it about at the end of July expected release of Mountain Lion. The lack of supply supports this.