Apple have let core fans of their products down

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, Oct 24, 2012.

1. gadget123, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

gadget123 macrumors 68000

Ipad 4 is a weak upgrade for people with Ipad 2/3.

Ipad 3 was only out 7 months ago.

Had Apple released something ground breaking then people wouldn't mind. I would rather they put something out that was a solid upgrade but instead it's just a minor refresh for people new to the tablet market.

Apple have really let there core fans down with this announcement. Event Ipad mini is the only IOS device now with no retina and a out dated A5.

Long term Apple have a smaller tablet that's all that came out of the announcement..was barely worth doing a big press conference for.

2. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Agreed.

Why would they even call it the ipad 4? A more suitable name is the ipad 3S

3. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

They never wanted the S name on the Ipad series no doubt..I'm not sure they will even do a Iphone 5S might just be an Iphone 6.

Sorry but a slightly less pixelated Facetime, a game loading half a second faster and a fancy new smaller charger doesn't make an update. As for 4G well it's barely even available anywhere yet.

4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

What's the big deal?

Even Apple doesn't expect most of their customers to upgrade at each cycle.

Honestly I'd feel a lot worse if the new iPad had some "gotta have" features a few months after I upgraded from 2 to 3.

5. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

There will be no Ipad 4 queues or people racing to Apple stores to try out Ipad 4 as it's exactly the same and you would struggle to see any difference..

The Hype has gone. :(

----------

It's not an update simple as..I have 720p on my Iphone 5 and can't see the difference atall and A6 is only faster with Siri.

6. seajewel macrumors 6502

I don't understand. If it had been a complete re-design 7 months after, I bet you would have seen WAY more people being upset about feeling like they have to upgrade so soon. Since it's just a "minor refresh for people new to the tablet market" shouldn't that mean most people shouldn't care much? If you have an iPad 3 then you really shouldn't feel like you have to upgrade, whereas if it WAS groundbreaking, then you might feel differently. Your reasoning does not make sense at all and it is just you being upset at a "minor refresh." So if it WAS groundbreaking it would be totally okay that you bought a product that was released a few months ago?

7. shelob8888 macrumors member

FYI: it's not called the iPad 4... It is the "iPad with Retina Display" officially. :)

8. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I agree yes people can feel better knowing it was a tiny update but they would feel better had that been in March and they knew they could keep Ipad 3 for 2 years..that's not the case.

Ipad 4 is just a stop gap as we all know Ipad 5 must have something better to offer. And it's no longer the latest Ipad (Ipad 3)..

9. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

There's no such thing as an iPad 3 or iPad 4.
    There's a 3rd gen "iPad" and 4th gen "iPad".

10. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

Thank you, finally someone gets it. Just like they did with the computers, stopped putting number monikers on it.

11. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I notice on the front page Apple responded to criticism about Ipad mini's high pricing.

Why has nobody put it to them that Ipad 4 is a poor upgrade from 2 or 3?

12. seajewel macrumors 6502

Honestly, I don't think current iPad 3 owners are the ones who should be worried or even thinking about the iPad 4, which as you say is a pretty minor upgrade. If i had the iPad 3 I'd be happy knowing that this upgrade was minor, not aesthetic.. I'd be a lot more upset if it were thinner, lighter, re-designed, and groundbreaking. Instead, it's people like me who were hoping for an awesome iPad mini and got let down, and do not own an iPad at all, who are the target audience of this release. I wasn't going to buy an iPad 3 with a new version coming in 4 months or so, but now I might pick up the iPad 4. Likewise with iPad 2 and 1 owners.

I know it's a lot easier for me to say because I don't own the iPad 3.. but really, I think you guys should be happy this upgrade is minor and you can hold off until the next one, which hopefully WILL be awesome and groundbreaking (a lot lighter, thinner, more beautiful!)

13. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

If that's the case why not save money and buy Ipad 3?

Would you be happy buying Ipad 4 and Apple put out a redesigned Ipad 5 in March?

14. Broph macrumors 6502

Broph

The 4th Gen iPad would not have been completely engineered in seven months. They would have known about the 4th Gen iPad at the 3rd Gen iPad announcement (and knew that it wouldn't be too far off)... Personally, I think they should have just held it off for that extra seven months.

15. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Yes, they dropped the number system for a reason. It's basically like the iPod/Mac lineup. It will get mostly small spec bumps. When Apple updated the MacBook Pro in Feb 2011 then again in Oct 2011.. No one complained.

16. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Indeed.

But A6 probably wasn't ready, they could have easily added 720p Facetime Iphone 4 had that right? and not sure ..was lightning ready for months?

I'm not sure what they were thinking launching Ipad 3 when they had these other things in the works..as I keep saying it seems Apple put all previous release schedules out the window and the new plan is as soon as they have something new..jus churn it out.

If Ipad 5 was ready next month Apple would probably release it..reminds me of Androids..constant updates.

----------

So was the vision of the Ipad to be less innovative than the Iphone line then?

17. seajewel macrumors 6502

and I'm debating between a refurb 3 and a 4 for that reason, especially because the benefits of a 4 are not that great to a user like myself (not a gamer, etc.) and I think of this as more of a stopgap product until a 5 comes out, as I personally find the current iPad models to be heavier than I'd like. And honestly, I am very excited for a thinner, lighter iPad 5. I might be peeved if a new one comes out 4 months after I buy the newest model, especially if it's groundbreaking, but I'd likely go and resell my iPad 3 or 4 for as much as I can and pick up the awesome one.

I was just personally disagreeing with your original statement that if it had been a groundbreaking update you wouldn't have been so mad over buying something a few months ago. I think being a minor refresh makes it easier to pass over the new release without feeling like you're missing out on something.

18. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

First things first, it's been said before, it's not called the iPad 4, so you can stop complaining about Apple naming it like it's a major upgrade.

Secondly, have you ever thought that the reason it's such a small spec bump and released so soon is because Apple wants to hold fans over until they release a major upgrade to the iPad lineup in 2013? Not saying it's going to happen, but it could be possible, kind of like how some people speculate the iPhone 5 was originally planned for a 2011 release but due to a delay for whatever reason, they were forced to put out the 4S as a placeholder. (Yet another rumor I know but just sayin')

19. Jnava420 macrumors regular

I love how ppl get so c***y about calling it iPad 4 or 4th gen iPad we all know what we're talking about.

20. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Nope you're both wrong. It's the same thing.

iPad 3 . . . 3rd generation it's the third iPad no matter what you call it.

21. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I bet there will be bigger queues for shops trying to sell off Ipad 3's cheaper than the new Ipad 4..

It's only worth buying Ipad 4 NOW if it's not getting updated to October 2013..however there's no rumours yet of when it will be. Could be Match could be later.

----------

I agree with this.

But it's a question of when this big update will be.

22. seajewel macrumors 6502

yeah I understand "th gen" is more in line with the new Apple terminology, but it's easier to type iPad 4. I hardly think this makes me ignorant. with macbook pros you see stuff like macbook pro unibody 2008 etc etc.. right now we're not so far along that we need to type such long labels in order to be able to distinguish. Eventually it might become early 2012 iPad, late 2012 iPad.. I have no beef with apple wanting to change the name and update more often or whatever the reasoning is, it's just easy right now to say iPad 3 and 4. oh I should have gone back and said 3rd gen and 4th gen.. whoop de doo

23. Rodster macrumors 68040

I don't see it on the US website. You gotta understand that this is a different Apple post Steve Jobs. They are now reacting more to the competition, making goofball marketing decisions and suing anyone who they think is a threat to their core business.

All of my concerns post Steve Jobs are beginning to come true. The only way Apple will make me reconsider is if they come out with some totally new kickass product. All i'm seeing is rehashed products. And NO the iPad Mini is not fresh. :p

24. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes I see what you are saying but they churned out the Ipad mini because there is small tablets on the shelves..but there not selling..why not wait until they sell like hot cakes?

I see lots of people reading books on Kindles (ereaders) not the tablet one.

25. jdmagoo1 macrumors regular

For those in the US this doesn't seem like a big upgrade, but for the rest of the world it is quite significant.

The US uses a different LTE network compared to the rest of the world therefore majority of people havent been able to realise the full potential of the 3rd gen iPad.
    So for me, i will be selling my 3rd gen ipad and updating to this one, and the fact that the processor is 2x as quick is an added bonus.

Although for those who can access LTE with the 3rd gen ipad, i can understand why you don't think its significant but i would argue there are more people in the world who do.