Apple have something similar to Office 365 Enterprise/Small Business?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Luba, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Microsoft has Office 365 for small, medium, and enterprise which is a subscription service of various server functions (Exchange, Sharepoint, Active Directory, Lync) that are all online so no need to own a server and maintain it. Does Apple offer anything like that?

If I bought OS X Server I know it can function like Exchange (share contacts, calendar, email). OS X Server can do wiki's, but can it do things like SharePoint (create a website where a team can upload stuff for collaboration)? Can I add users remotely like on a Active Directory? Create a video conference like Lync?

Most important question: What do I need to get and do to run my own server. Get a UPS for battery backup and in case there's an electric power outage. Have a good backup routine to backup the server. Anything else?

Office 365 is like $20 a month for each user. OS X Server is $20 plus all the hardware, so in the long run OS X Server would be less expensive.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

A few years ago maybe a small server wild be a way to go. However lately I have been researching the DSM of Synology DSM 5.0 and it could do a lot of traditional server needs as well as a server too.