Apple *hearts* Samsung

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by walie, Jul 5, 2012.

1. walie, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2012

walie macrumors 6502a

2. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Did you just learn that Samsung is an Apple supplier?

This is news?

3. walie thread starter macrumors 6502a

absolutely it is!

Apple's new $1 billion+ marketing campaign should include "made with Samsung CPUs, Samsung Displays and Samsung Memory" much like how computers are sold with "Intel processors"

4. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Using the Exynos chipset vs. Apple's A5 technology is news. I do agree that this is speculation. It is just the A6 that Samsung builds for Apple not Samsung's Exynos chipset.

5. 404 tech junkie macrumors regular

If this turns out to be true, that's bad news for iPhone fans, as that means it wouldn't have LTE. Unless they went with a second radio a la the Korean Galaxy S3, if they go Exynos, there will be no 4G.

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

What about all the other Apple suppliers? Should they get billing too?

And by your standard Samsung should put "shamelessly copied from Apple" on all their devices, right?

Also, the story is fiction because Exynos uses MALI while every single device that runs iOS uses PowerVR. Apple is not going to change that.

7. walie thread starter macrumors 6502a

no only the best suppliers that people care about should get A+ billing

8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

It's not a big deal that Apple, like everyone else, uses components from other suppliers. It's what they do with them that adds value.

You can give the same supplies and equipment to me and a top chef, but the results will be very different. You can give me paints and canvases, but I won't turn out paintings anyone wants to see.

9. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

not really news

When someone has a house built and this person is complimented on said house does the owner call the builder and say this person said my house looks great, no they just say thanks.

10. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Quad core and LTE don't mix, thats why the quad core Androids overseas use dual core chips here with LTE radios. So the new iPhone is not going to have LTE unless they can manage to do what Qualcomm is doing, make a quad core chip that can play with LTE.

11. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

12. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Speculation on the A6 chip is just that; guessing. I would hazard to guess that Apple probably designed their new chip to do exactly what they need it to and will use the same 32nm process. So quad core and LTE? If anyone can do it, Apple can.

13. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

14. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

incorrect. Apple designs their own chips. Assembly is done by Samsung.

15. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Try reading that article again there genius...

"Rumors abound that the upcoming new iPhone will feature a quad-core A6 processor produced by Samsung, which will essentially be a modified quad-core Exynos 4 series chip."

16. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

So the A5X is an "off the shelf" part like a Z80 or 68000 or Tegra3?

----------

And since the Exynos SOC uses Mali you know it's a ******** story.

About the only thing they may have in common is a core ARM architecture.

17. 404 tech junkie macrumors regular

18. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

So you did! My bad. :eek:

19. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Wow, you can take it down a notch. Samsung 'manufacturers the physical components of the chip' aka produces it, however:

You can read more about it here: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/16/us-apple-samsung-idUSTRE7BF0D420111216

Enjoy.

20. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

That was the case for the A5. The article said that the A6 would use Samsung's Exynos chip which is designed by Samsung using a similar architecture. I do think the article incorrectly mentions Exynos though.

21. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

That's a silly statement. AMD, nVidia and Qualcomm all outsource their production to other companies yet no one questions where their designs belong.

Virtually every Android and iOS device use "similar architecture" so that article is just a flame bait.

22. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

We don't know what the chip is yet. Could be anything, but most assume it will use Samsung's 32nm process used in the ATV3.

The point, however was mbell stating that Apple has nothing to do with hardware in their phones. I stated Apple designs their own cpu chip's. This is an undisputable fact. Samsung 'produces' the chips based on Apple's design. This is an undisputable fact.

Why there is a disagreement here, I do not know?

23. 404 tech junkie macrumors regular

lol no problem

24. tann macrumors 68000

I don't think it'll happen... How many of us are screaming that the iPhone 4S is too slow?!

Plus, imagine a quad core processor WITH an LTE radio! They'd have to do some crazy stuff to fit in a good battery!

I personally don't see an iOS device with a quad core until the next iPad... But I would love to be proven wrong, c'mon Apple!

25. buddgeez macrumors member

After so many lawsuits from apple, Samsung is still supplying parts for apple? I would've said screw you. Even if they do have a contract. If i were samsung I'd buy out of that contract.