Apple helps to raise the bar in the competition,your opinion of NEC POWERMATE5000?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Brandonnn, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Brandonnn macrumors member

Brandonnn

With all the attention Apple is receiving for their innovative designs(iphone/iMac), it's nice to see the competition raise the bar, particularly to the aesthetics. I love :apple:'s attention to detail.

I am trying to save for Imac 20inch myself and finally switch from pc world. I like the new PowerMate P5000, all-in-one Hybrid PC at least for their clean design. I think if they could improve the hardware in their next model, it could compete with the Imac. At 1700US little steep. Then no OS:rolleyes:

Well, at least it looks better than XPSOne and Gateways one, the aesthetics on the gateway One made my eye twitch.

What do you think of the design?

http://minisites.nec-computers-ap.com/P5000/concept.htm

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

At least they are trying something new.

Intel did say this notebook-based desktops finally had a lot more interest than before.

Think of the cuts to electric bills, power management, and few a/c struggles in an office with cooler less power hungry machines.

The Dell XPSone looks like a rehash of a 10 year old apple design, almost what the TAM would have looked like with a slot loading drive and a large LCD.

3. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

It looks innovative in a way that increases functionality, and it doesn't look terrible, but it doesn't really look that pretty either. Definitely not as attractive as most Apple designs, but it's good when the competitors put some reasonable effort into their designs just to keep Apple on its toes.

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

That's not as bad as I was expecting, especially since another thread was suggesting that the Dell XPS One might be competition for the iMac.

I'd have to see one of these in person. The two feet plus backstand looks ok in the picture, but I wonder how solid this would be. I have a cat that likes to climb on my desk, and occasionally wanders behind my flat panel monitor. It's got a nice, wide base, so I don't worry about it tipping. I'd be concerned that with enough force, this little unit would be too tippy.

As a unit intended to be portable around the house, the "flex bar" handle is a good design feature, as is the fact that the base wide enough to slip your keyboard underneath when not being used. Unfortunately, from the picture you can see that's not a full-sized keyboard, which is a no-go for me when I'm working on a desktop.