Apple ID Hacked,Fraudulent charges made, Apple not doing anything. WTF apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aohus, Apr 29, 2011.

1. aohus, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

aohus macrumors 68000

Back in early March, my Apple ID was hacked into and fraudulent charges were made onto my credit card. The hacker(s) bought 3 x $20 gift cards using my card tied to my Apple ID account. Fortunately, I saw these transactions taking place as it was happening, so I quickly disabled my cc so that further charges werent made. And no, my iPad was NOT jailbroken. It was running stock iOS.

[​IMG]

PayPal fixed the fraudulent charges, and some weeks later, I buy the iPad2. However, I am not able to download/purchase any apps and a popup appears stating 'Your Apple ID has been disabled.' Thats all it says.

I call Apple, and they said that this issue occurred to A LOT of users, and the Apple ID department is flooded with requests to fix, and would take a WEEK to resolve the issue. Seriously? Just to re-enable my Apple ID?

I'm pretty disappointed in Apple. First off, they allowed my Apple ID to get hacked, and now my cc# is exposed. Secondly, they are not doing ANYTHING to resolve the issue. Phone calls, Apple Support Communities, and more phone calls did not resolve the issue. They just told me to 'wait a week.' I'm essentially stuck in limbo. Now I am forced to wait a week or more for something THEY caused.

As a consumer, what can I do to protect myself from even Apple's lax security? What agency/department can I go to escalate the issue? Jobs himself? I'm getting desperate. Please Apple, fix this issue. And increase your security protocol for Apple ID accounts.

This is how I feel right now
    [​IMG]

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

3. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

Why? I have tons of apps I purchased on it. It wouldn't be transferred to a new Apple ID account.

Additionally, it should be Apple's responsibility to FIX the issue than not pay any attention to it at all.

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Agreed. It is Apples responsibility and they should help you. Seems they are busy solving this like they said. I doubt anyone can help you or give you tips.

Just wait it out. Sorry you got hacked too.

5. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I had crappy help from apple when i wanted to change my apple ID, They told me just to make a new account, and that i wouldn't be able to transfer my purchases. They say there is no way to change your apple ID even they cant do it. So after 7 days of me trying to resolve this matter i just gave up.

Just keep asking to talk to the person that's above them and if they cant help you ask for their boss and so on.

6. patp Guest

wait it out. Not much else you can do at this point. Ditch Apple and go to Amazon?

**** happens. Wait a week. If the charges are still on your card, contact your bank and dispute them.

7. ani23 macrumors 6502

8. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Unfortunately, no. You'd have to contact Bill Gates :d

[​IMG]

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

How do you know that?

What makes you think they caused it?

I ask because many times I've heard of this in the past security analysts have determined that iTunes was never hacked, but passwords were guessed. Usually because hackers get your password from some other account that uses the same e-mail as a log-in and they just guess that you probably have an iTunes account with the same password.

So I'm not saying iTunes wasn't hacked this time, I'm just saying that it has usually ended up being some other service's fault in the past. So my question is, what makes you certain that it was iTunes that was hacked this time?

A lot of people use the same password for iTunes as they do for other sites. Hell, I even do it and I know it's wrong. But that's my fault, really, and I'll freely admit that I'm doing it wrong.

10. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

If someone steals your Apple password and logs in to your account and purchases stuff, that is entirely your own responsibility and Apple cannot do anything about this unless you contact your bank, file a dispute, reverse transaction or even cancel your credit/debit card if it goes too far. I'm not saying that you weren't hacked, but you cannot be sure if you're account was actually hacked or someone just guessed your password.

11. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Pretty stupid logic behind this. A lot of people have quite a bit of money invested into their Apple ID's.

12. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Reading fail. His problem isn't with the charges (he's already taken care of that), its the fact that his account is disabled even AFTER he's dealt with it.

Apple has great support but iTunes support sucks. Well iTunes itself kinda sucks in general.

13. Holoshed macrumors regular

You know, I read all of this bad stuff back when someone got my itunes login (thanks to all those sites getting hacked around the net and someone getting the one password I used the same) but I saw it as SOON as it happened just like the OP, immediately changed everything, delinked paypal and then contacted itunes support via their form, within 24 hours I had an email reply telling me exactly how to handle it.

The stuff they said were if I had not already do a chargeback/dispute on paypal as they cannot reverse a paypal transaction without paypal initiating it which I understood. The person was so nice and kept in contact with me atleast 2x a night via email to make sure it was all handled. The same person even told me they found who (well the ip of the person) that had done this to multiple accounts and took the steps to block them, this surprised me for apple to tell me this but I was happy. Even a couple of days after it was handled the support person contacted me via email again to make sure it was handled in a way I was satisfied, and I was.

Now fast forward to about a week later (this was like a month ago) and my fiance needed some money sent over to her itunes account and I found it was blocked on my account (I had forgot I asked for it to be turned off), a short email to itunes support got it handled within 24 hours and I got the same follow up emails, totally different rep this time (name on emails) but the same great service.

I have no special itunes account, nothing to make me different than any of you except maybe my account is a few years old but I just dont see why everyone else has all these issues when I got helped very quickly and very friendly reps every time I needed them.

14. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Holoshed,
    Great to hear that you're getting served as satisfyingly, I had an almost same experience but with the app store, Apple kept in touch with me regularly and their customer support is one of the, dare I say it if not, the best in the world!

You just need to contact them about an issue and they'll fix it for you, you just have to be a little patient sometimes but in most cases they solve issues with a few days.

15. Holoshed macrumors regular

I have reread the OP and tried to find where they said they actually contacted itunes support via the proper channels. I see something about a phone call but the department you need to talk to is a web form only and while that may seem frustrating, if you let them do their job they work well. They were just told by someone that the department they need to talk to is overworked which is not the same as just trying it.

So you do a chargeback via paypal, never tell apple itunes support WHY you are doing it, so all they know is you reversed the funds, and you are mad they blocked your account?

It sort of makes sense why they blocked your account in this instance. If you do the research of the proper way to handle things, there is usually a positive outcome with Apple I have found.

Edited to add, since the OP asked for help of who to contact, the proper channel for an issue like this is found via this url: http://www.apple.com/support/itunes...Account and Billing&subtopic=Account Security

Why the people you called from Apple did not know this is beyond me, but that link is pretty much the only way to get issues with iTunes accounts resolved.

16. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

Bill will say switch to windows ;)

aohus - Sorry about what happened. Is there any update from Apple about the issue. Hope it will get resolved soon.

17. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

My point was to create a new account so you can use the device now.

You can then wait as long as you need for them to fix things.

18. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

who says they're not paying attention to it? :confused:

they told you it would take a week. i'm pretty sure that they need to investigate the issue before giving out free credits to people. :rolleyes:

19. sotorious macrumors 6502a

I remember before i even had an itunes account someone got a hold of my credit card and started charging things from itunes on it, and at the time I have never bought anything from itunes.

20. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

IDk but can't you just change the password for a newer and better one and change the payment info or eliminate it so you can't buy anything else, but you can still download updates to your older apps then you can even create a second new ID for the newer purchases.

21. aohus, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011

aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

Did you not read the OP? :rolleyes: I was already given credit back by paypal. That's not the issue. The issue is that I cant download apps since they blocked my apple I'd account.

Apple dropped the ball on this because it's affecting a lot of users and their customer service is lackluster at best. I get better service from motorola than apple.

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Sorry to hear the OP is having such a hard time. I and my family have had amazing support from Apple about iTunes, but it is frustrating when something simple takes so long.

In any case the moral of the story: Never, ever, associate a credit card with iTunes. Buy iTunes gift vouchers of small values.

23. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

So the issue got resolved. I called in again. Here are some tips for this kind of issue.

IF you have an Apple ID issue, it is best to call them and talk to AppleCare.

AppleCare associate will then contact iTunes support via Instant Messaging and all they ask of you is the Billing Address from when those transactions occurred and show proof that you are the account holder by telling them one app you purchased through iTunes (free or not). Then all you have to do is reset your password and you're done.

iTunes does NOT have phone support when it comes to account issues, so it IS best to phone the issue.

The associate also told me that I was able to get my problem fixed because their history log shows that I called in a bunch of times.

So, if you're persistent, they will give your issue a high priority. Sucks it had to be done that way, but the issue is resolved now.

24. richardmu macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advice. I have since deleted my credit card and will in future stick to using gift cards to top up.

This is especially valid after the Sony PSN debacle which I am affected by.

I am beginning to think leaving credit card information with any of these companies is very very risky these days.

25. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

just a quick update.

Massachusetts attorney general is looking into the issue since her account was hacked as well. So now the ball starts rolling when a person of power is affected huh. How widespread is this issue?

http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/21/massa...emand-answers-from-apple-after-itunes-breach/