Apple In-Ear Headphones officially in Apple retail stores!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by actorkid, Dec 9, 2008.

1. actorkid macrumors 6502

I just called the Boylston St. Apple store here in Boston and they said they just got the in-ear headphones in stock this morning! I think I'm going to pick them up today and I'll post a review!

2. actorkid thread starter macrumors 6502

just picked up my pair...if anyones interested in knowing how they are I'll be glad to show my quick experiences

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Your title is misleading. It should read that they're in some Apple retail stores.

I can tell you they're not at Irvine Spectrum - Irvine, CA, Mission Viejo Mall - Mission Viejo, CA, Costa Mesa, CA, Southpoint Mall - Durham, NC, or Crabtree Mall Raleigh NC.

Why would I know this? I've called them all in the last hour and they've all said they're not in stock.

Do you have experience with other in-ear phones? How do they compare to the models you've owned previously?

4. nanvinnie macrumors regular

very nice... i would love to read your review. please post.

5. actorkid thread starter macrumors 6502

i apologize for my misleading title. I figured that if an apple store across the country in Boston got them in, that most other apple stores would.

I don't have much expertise in the audio field, but before today, I've been using Sony MDR EX51LP earbuds. I bought them over a year ago for $40.

For the price they're actually pretty good. The bass is pretty terrible but that's to be expected...And the rubber plugs liked to fall off and disappear forever. They also felt sort of cheap. The speakers are covered with paper pretty much, and they got gunked up pretty quickly.

On to the apple headphones....Sound quality is DEFINITELY crisper with the apple headphones...I'm just not sure they are $40 crisper when compared to the sony earbuds.

There is definitely a lot of detail within music that is brought out with the new phones....did I mention they're freaking sexy? Apple really got it with the design. The chromed edge leading to the metal mesh cap looks solid. The rubber plugs are marked underneath with what size plug they are so you can easily distinguish. the plugs are also held onto the headphones pretty tightly. The rubber used is definitely higher grade and a bit thicker than the rubber used on my sony buds. I definitely don't see these things breaking very easily unless you abuse them...but I could be wrong.

On to the bad news....I've gotta say that the woofer is crap....there is a very small increase in bass quality if any at all. You may be able to hear the bass a little clearer and cleaner, but there definitely isn't much of a thump factor going on in your ears.

The remote works exactly as everyone expected....The jack fits into the 2g iPhone port. Volume up and down doesn't work on iPhone, but I'm inclined to think you might be able to fix it with a software update. The new headphones have the same amount of bands as the headphones that come with the iPhone. The girl at the apple store told me she figured it would be fixed eventually with a software update, but I know most apple store employees dont know crap.

The microphone is very responsive I think. Definitely no need to raise the mic to your mouth to talk. Just let it hang and talk away.

So although I'm disappointed with the bass quality, I still think that these are excellent headphones. The remote will help a lot in the freezing weather, and everything works well.

If there's anything else anyone wants to know just ask.

6. TJ10 macrumors member

TJ10

7. actorkid thread starter macrumors 6502

just want to add that I've spent the past hour or so on the phone using these headphones.....they are absolutely phenomenal for taking phone calls.

I can hear the other person so clearly with a perfect volume. The person on the other end couldn't even tell that i was using the headphone mic. I could be heard perfectly clear...I didn't have to raise my voice at all...i actually felt like I could speak softer and still be heard loud and clear. Definitely no need to raise the mic to your mouth while talking. I'm very happy I bought these already!

8. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

9. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Looks like the volume control won't work with itouch or iphone.

What the hell Apple, are you just trying to piss us off?

10. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Great man you convinced me to get them! Here in sweden the cold is comming rapidly so I really need a headphone mic

11. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Does the remote work to answer/end calls, skip/pause/play tracks on the first gen iPhone??

12. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Ditto, but for an iPhone 3G. I'm dying to get a straight answer!

13. actorkid thread starter macrumors 6502

the answer is yes.

14. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

And how's the comfort? The rubber parts look HUGE!

Thanks

15. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

16. actorkid thread starter macrumors 6502

the rubber parts are a little bit bigger than most, but they definitely aren't as big as they look in all the pictures. The comfort is great...My previous earbuds would bother me after extended periods of time, but i can barely feel these babies in my ears. The good thing about the slightly larger rubber parts is that it takes up your whole ear canal...it blocks ambient noise pretty well.

Yes they come with 3 separate size rubber buds. The little pill thing has small on one side and large on the other side. The headphones come with the medium size on them. The size of the rubber piece is printed on the inside of the rubber piece so youll always know what size you're using.

17. diggator macrumors member

diggator

Im trying to find these online.. It is the $79.00 one on the apple site? I noticed someone mentioned 40.00 ??? Link would be cool Thanks

18. actorkid thread starter macrumors 6502

im praising the new apple earphones that are $79.00

I was comparing them to my sony earbuds which cost $40.00

You can't get the new apple earphones for $40.00 sorry.

19. arubinst macrumors 6502

I think they cost 40.00 more than the regular earphones

20. bluesTank macrumors regular

21. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

22. bluesTank macrumors regular

I don't think its a $60 reason. Apple is much less well known for earbuds...in fact pretty notorious for them.

23. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Nice :) I asked about them when I was in the Boylston St. store last Saturday to no avail. Oh well. Glad to hear they're starting to come in.

24. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

But I would venture a guess and say it is a $30 reason. Remember when you are comparing a sale price to a non-sale price (especially when the items aren't really comperable to begin with) you are comparing apples to oranges. Also, I can't find if those have dual drivers or not, which would be another somewhat major difference.

25. bluesTank macrumors regular

An even better reason to pick some up.

Do whatever you want. I was just suggesting an alternative.

Personally I would never ever ever buy earbuds from apple for $80. If you ARE going to spend that much, I would much rather pick up a set of professional Shures which are pretty much top of the line.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=shure&x=0&y=0