Apple In-Store Trade In Program

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FrankySavvy, Sep 10, 2013.

1. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

Okay so I have an iPhone 5 32GB on AT&T. I am not eligible for an early upgrade like last year. I bought an iPhone 5 at launch last year.

I want to trade in my phone through Apples In-Store trade in program and buy an iPhone 5S 32GB on launch day.

Anybody have any experience with this?

- how much does apple give
    - how do they give it?

Thanks!

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

They judge your phones worth by model, condition and how much storage. Today, my 32 gig iPhone 4 was worth about $120 and my 16 gig 4s was worth $200. Remember, you can only trade in one for each new one you buy and you must do the transaction on the same day. Can't sell now, buy later.

3. BConvery macrumors regular

4. inboxer macrumors regular

I've used Gazelle, good service but the prices are a little low. I switched to BuyBackWorld though for my last few trades because they paid higher prices and bought some stuff that Gazelle didn't.

5. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Their prices are identical at least for the iPhone 5.

6. inboxer macrumors regular

I just checked and BuyBackWorld was offering $355 for a 16GB iPhone AT&T in Excellent condition vs Gazelle's $325. BuyBackWorld has higher offers on the other conditions too, especially "broken" wiht $170 vs Gazelle's offer of $125. Also did a sampling of the higher hard drive capacity models and BuyBackWorld was always higher. I think Gazelle frequently changes their prices. Nextworth's prices are solid too and appear to be consistently higher than Gazelle's. I'd always check BuyBackWorld or NextWorth for the highest price. Gazelle seems to pay the lowest prices across the board for most devices, not just iPhones. Gazelle's service is solid but their prices will always be lower.. probably to pay for those dorky commercials. Does anyone remember their first commercials with that annoying person?

7. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

As of 10 minutes ago BBW was $335 for a 16GB "excellent"ATT iPhone 5 and Gazelle was $310. It varies by the minute. Yesterday the T-Mo iPhone 5 was $331 on Gazelle and $332 on BBW,

8. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

I guess you can get better price on Ebay. But the convenience of getting both transactions done real quick is going to be nice. Hand over old iPhone, sign up for new contract, get new iPhone, and possibly get store credit and pay nothing out of pocket.

9. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Agreed. The real open question is how the trade in prices compare to trade in websites like Gazelle and Nextworth.

I'm starting to think that the lack of a 5S preorder is to get lots of existing iPhone owners into Apple Stores to jump start this trade in program.

10. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Oh now that is an interesting idea. I'm upgrading from my five. I probably wouldn't do a trade in because I'm comfortable enough using eBay. And certainly gazelle. But apples trade in program would be easier than either. But I'm much more likely to buy in store since there is no preorder until launch day. And I expect per order to sell out well before I wake up on Friday morning.

11. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I've had the best luck with the trade in program through Best Buy. No mailing in and waiting as online programs. They usually have a pretty good stock of new iPhones and iPads and the trade in and purchase happens simultaneously. Their trade in prices are comparable if not a little better than buybackworld. You can check out the estimated prices on their website. I've purchased my last four Apple products at Best Buy, used the trade in program and have been very satisfied.

12. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Gazelle is great. Might offer a little less, but I had cash in my bank in six days(that included time to transfer from my Paypal account) after sending my 4s last year. Quick painless process.

Might try Apple this year just because it will be even easier.

13. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I spoke with my local Apple store and they will be allowing people to trade in their oldndevices on launch day, which I was surprised about, considering all of the people that will be defending on their stores.

14. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Check out Best Buy trade in prices before Apple. I've been using their programs for years and have been able to get the best trade in pricing other than maybe selling outright on eBay.

15. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

From my understanding you can only trade in through apple if you sign a new contract. Since you are not up for an upgrade you will have to buy at full price which means you can't use the trade in program at apple.

16. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Thanks, I'll try Best Buy.