Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
One unverified source provided some interesting information prior to today's Airport Express release.

This source predicted "new airport base stations" with Audio/Video outputs. The new base station was said to be about the size of an iPod and cost around $99.

Except for video out, the description accurately describes Apple's new Airport Express. Of more interest is another prediction for "Interactive" displays coming from Apple from the same source. These new displays are compared to Wacom's Cintiq tablet which is described as follows:

Wacom's Cintiq 18SX and 15X interactive pen displays combine the advantages of an LCD monitor with the control, comfort, and productivity of Wacom's patented cordless, battery-free tablet technology. By working directly on the screen, you navigate much more quickly and naturally

Apple tablet rumors infiltrated the Mac Rumor scene in early 2003 but has since led to no actual product releases.

It's unclear if the recent whispers of hangable displays is related rumor or not.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Holy reality distortion field, I'm ODing on all these rumors.

proglife

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2003
Annapolis, MD
Holy crap! This sounds a lot like my "thinking out loud" last night!

A central CPU and maybe little portable tablet-like browsers on the cheap. I dunno....Apple could really do it up here.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
you're telling me

new headline: "Arn's head falls off due to excessive updates!" This is a bussssy time of year! I love june :D

Hob

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
I load MacRumors and I see a new topic in the Rumors forum. I go to the front page, and it's another rumor!

Busy day and night :)

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
:-O

SO...MANY....RUMORS.....IN......ONE........DAY...........

CAN'T............

TAKE.................

MUCH.....................

MORE................................

:eek: :eek: :eek:

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
I thought of something interesting. The Wacom is quoted to have "patented cordless, battery-free tablet technology". Battery-free? How is that, I thought...

Now, Firewire can carry power, right? If 802.11g can carry a signal, is there any knowledge whether the new wireless firewire (there was an article about and I apologize I don't have the link...) can carry power? Wireless power?

Is that even possible?

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
This is AMAZING!

I can't keep it all straight.....and most of these are all rumors are pre-WWDC.....can you imagine what it will be like the days before the keynote!

The past few rumorless months have been made up all in one day!

Hanging displays seem very cool, and if it is from the same source that fairly accurately predicted Airport Express.....:)

Good things are in store for us.

copperpipe

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2002
cintiq???

has anyone here used the cintiq display/tablets? I am an avid user of the wacom tablet, and was wondering if it really is that much better or pros/cons of the cintiq...

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Bring it on!!!!

Graphic Designers and Artists of the world would rejoice - Oh Let it be true! I have been waiting for this solution since 1987 when I first used a Drawing Tablet (with a Puck!) on a crusty old XT and thought - Damn, wish this thing had a screen in it as well!

;)

aussiemac86

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2004
the land of OZ
DreaminDirector said:
I thought of something interesting. The Wacom is quoted to have "patented cordless, battery-free tablet technology". Battery-free? How is that, I thought...

Now, Firewire can carry power, right? If 802.11g can carry a signal, is there any knowledge whether the new wireless firewire (there was an article about and I apologize I don't have the link...) can carry power? Wireless power?

Is that even possible?

Not really possible.
To get the required power through the air to power a device such as a display would require an enormous output at the source (basestation etc). Like it would have to be far more than what you can draw out of a powerpoint at home. Also the inverse square law states that for every increase in radius(range) the strength decreases by a factor of four. So at most you might be able to have it sitting right next to the basestation. These levels of power going through the air are not healthy as well, and would cause cancer and **** pretty bad.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Sounds good. I can't wait to take to morning off and going to my friends house to watch the keynote on his projection screen like I did last year. He has one of those old satelites, guess they are usefull after all/.

appleface

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2003
West Texas
soon

i'll be able to set my closed pb on the shelf, hold my apple pda in my hand, and control my monitor that is hanging on the wall (that is connected via usb 2.0 to my airport express? and connected wirelessly to my pb). apple technology is sweet.

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
... all the video stuff sounds expensive .. well as a graphician i would like to invest in something like that!
.a

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Wow, I'm actually posting on the first page!

I hope really, REALLY bad they put this in a powerbook, if it is true :D

I've always wanted a Tablet, for Math class. It's a nightmare to take notes with the keyboard, though I've gotten quite good at it.

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
DreaminDirector said:

Is that even possible?

By cordless they mean the Pen is not connected by a cord. The actual tablet still hooks through a wire. If you read any specs on even the cheapest Wacom tablets, they are cordless as well.

scottkle

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2004
In response to a previous post, cintiq tablets are nothing short of incredible.

What I don't understand though is why Apple would want to make wacom mad by stepping in on their turf.

And, if they are going to release such a tablet, why would they stop there? The tablet based mac is just another step up. I know they aren't doing well in the PC world, but that's because it's in the PC world. Apple could do it.

My credit card is going to be maxed out this month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.