Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Internal Knowledgebase Docs

billyb

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2003
clicking speakers

glad to see they're working (hopefully) on the clicking speaker issue on iBooks. my fiance has one and it drives her insane, and, by extension, me as well.

Comment

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
My Cube has the iTunes problem mentioned. I've actually had my first Kernel Panic from this situation. I can't rip any CDs in the Cube; I have to use an old G4 tower with the achingly slow DVD-RAM drive.

Comment

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Damn, a nice 5 internal issues with the 15" PowerBook (FW800), all of which seem pretty serious. I serious hope I do not have to send my PowerBook back as soon as I receive it! Are these just 10.2.8 problems or actual hardware problems? I mean, since these computers are being sent with 10.2.7 installed, would that mean they wouldn't have these problems?

Comment

crees!

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Damn, a nice 5 internal issues with the 15" PowerBook (FW800), all of which seem pretty serious. I serious hope I do not have to send my PowerBook back as soon as I receive it! Are these just 10.2.8 problems or actual hardware problems? I mean, since these computers are being sent with 10.2.7 installed, would that mean they wouldn't have these problems?

So is this an "after we receive and notice any problems to contact apple deal" ? Or is Apple doing this themselves at the plant? I wonder for those who said their PB's have been pushed back in shipment date are ones with these problems?? I should receive my PB today and will make note here of any issues.

Comment

clonenode

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2002
The "capture" language is Apple internal-speak for "let hardware engineering know about the problem. Don't just treat this as a simple defect. These are new machines and we want to jump on (fix) any engineering defects right away."

Comment

Griffindor73

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2002
Brighton, England
Re: clicking speakers

Originally posted by billyb
glad to see they're working (hopefully) on the clicking speaker issue on iBooks. my fiance has one and it drives her insane, and, by extension, me as well.

Thank god its not just me!!! Mine does that too when I am running it on battery. If you run iTunes silently it seems to stop it, but it shouldn't do it in the first place!

Comment

e2chris

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
This is funny. All the people who say they wont buy a RevA G5 when they come out and look at all the problems with the new 15''. Lamers.

"If you make it, they will come"

Comment

pgfitzgerald

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2003
Hmmm...

I went to my local Apple Store last Tuesday and picked up the new 15" PowerBook. I had some strange issues with getting through the initial registration process. It stopped on "disconnecting" but didn't lock up. The bouncing ball animation just kept bouncing for an hour. So I turned it off and back on. It booted up fine after that, but I missed the rest of the questions.

I usually install from scratch anyway, so I did. The only problem I had after that was when I tried to use the restore CD to install iDVD. I couldn't get the restore CD to show up when I put it in the drive. I could eject just fine, but no CD or DVD would show up on the desktop. Rebooting fixed that problem.

Also, the Super Drive makes a funny noise when coming out of sleep, but I think that's normal. Is that normal? Should I worry about any of this? Should I contact Apple?

Paul

Comment

brhmac

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2003
Planet Earth
Locked Up iPod

Hot Issue: iPod (with Dock Connector) - Unresponsive, "Stuck", "Frozen", or "Locked Up" Escalate any case of an unresponsive iPod that is stuck at any text view and cannot be reset. Note: This document does not apply to cases in which the iPod is stuck at the Apple logo, but links to those documents are provided below.

This condition has happened to my iPod a couple of times -- when I was nowhere near my dock converter or my PowerBook. Anyone know how to reset an iPod w/o the dock or a PB?

Will a software fix from Apple fix the problem?

Will Apple make a software fix to fix the problem?

Comment

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Originally posted by BrandonRP0123
They've got a document on the 12" and 17" feet issue. Yay.

That'd be nice...even my old G3 PowerBook is missing feet so this is not a recent issue...it's been years! It's nice to see that they will finally start sending replacement feet without having us pay to replace the entire bottoms of our PowerBooks.

Comment

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Re: Locked Up iPod

Originally posted by brhmac
This condition has happened to my iPod a couple of times -- when I was nowhere near my dock converter or my PowerBook. Anyone know how to reset an iPod w/o the dock or a PB?

Will a software fix from Apple fix the problem?

Will Apple make a software fix to fix the problem?

To reset a stuck iPod, hold down the menu and play buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds. Make sure the hold switch is not activated (the orange line should not be showing). This should restart the iPod, but will not affect any stored data on it.

Comment

charlesc

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2003
San Diego, CA
Re: Apple Internal Knowledgebase Docs

Glad to know I'm not alone either on some of this stuff.

My rev.a 12" PB shure as heck wobbles when on a flat surface. I've also had to reset my iPod (30gig) under the same circumstances twice now.

Comment

virtualsid

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2003
PowerBook G4 (15-inch FW 800) computers are being captured if the display pools or has white spots

What is a 'display pool'? Can anyone enlighten me please?

Comment

BrandonRP0123

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Originally posted by virtualsid

What is a 'display pool'? Can anyone enlighten me please?

Touch the screen with your finger. Pool. If theres stress on and around the frame of the display it could display pools or white spots, thus the notice

Comment

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Re: Re: Locked Up iPod

Originally posted by simX
To reset a stuck iPod, hold down the menu and play buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds. Make sure the hold switch is not activated (the orange line should not be showing). This should restart the iPod, but will not affect any stored data on it.

Toggle the hold button back and forth first.

My iPod freezes sometimes, but my 15" AlBook is flawless. I love it.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.