Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced a brand new application called "News," that aims to provide curated lists of personalized news for each iOS user. Taking news from some of the most popular websites and newspapers, the app provides content in a unique, custom layout with rich typography. The app, launching first in the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia, allows users to pick favorite publications, genres, and topics in order for Apple to begin pushing new and interesting stories to them in the "For You" section.

f1433786103-800x365.jpg
"News seamlessly delivers the articles you want to read in a beautiful and uncluttered format, while respecting your privacy, because Apple doesn't share your personal data," said Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "We already have nearly 20 publishers representing more than 50 titles joining us, including Condé Nast, ESPN, The New York Times, Hearst, Time Inc., CNN and Bloomberg."
The more users read and browse News, the more personalized the experience becomes as it tailors to each individual's likes and dislikes. With Apple News Format, the company's new digital publishing format used to power the app, each publisher can create unique looks for their stories and take advantage of the full power of iOS. With content that can include audio, video, maps, photos, and more, Apple hopes to create more involving stories and articles with News.

Article Link: Apple Introduces 'News' App to Bring Personalized Stories to iOS 9

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
I want to be excited to use a new stock app, but when you already can't delete the ones you don't want to use it's just stupid to keep adding more.

Let us delete them already, and just make them available via the app store for re-download if people decide they need them again.

Arndroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2013
I want to be excited to use a new stock app, but when you already can't delete the ones you don't want to use it's just stupid to keep adding more.

Let us delete them already, and just make them available via the app store for re-download if people decide they need them again.
Given the way folders and everything else work still complaining about not being able to delete native apps is silly.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
Given the way folders and everything else work still complaining about not being able to delete native apps is silly.
I think it is a legitimate complaint. Storage space is at a premium especially on a 16gb phone. I would gladly give up the watch app, newsstand, stocks, passbook, tips, podcasts, etc for even one more photograph.

S G

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
Yet another dangerous trend to limit your worldview by filtering out things that you should get exposed to, even if your interest appears limited at first. Content-curated apps may be good for shopping, entertainment, or sports, but not for world events and general culture knowledge. In such app, I probably would skip financial news based on my level of interest, yet I end up reading some quite often in NYTimes, simply because I get exposed to them.

keifer.street

Contributor
Jul 9, 2013
Good to know that Apple respects privacy by not sharing information on articles you read to third parties for targeted advertising... but how will the publications make any money off their work?

No targeted adds = lower add revenue stream and I didn't hear anything about subscription services.

I heard something about the NYT offering 'up to 30 free articles' - what happens at article #31? How will the publishers be paid for their work?

Google can only offer its 'free' services by selling your info to third parties for advertising revenue. Take that leg of the tri-pod and be whole thing falls over.

I think a lot more detail is needed on the business model before adoption increases with the publishers. They aren't going to spend their time and money curating and creating great looking news content if they can't make money off it. Period. Creating news content is what they do. Their jobs and incomes depend on it.

Last edited:

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Good to know that Apple respects privacy by not sharing information on articles you read to third parties for targeted advertising... but how will the publications make any money off their work?

No targeted adds = lower add revenue stream and I didn't hear anything about subscription services.

I heard something about the NYT offering 'up to 30 free articles' - what happens at article #31? How will the publishers be paid for their work?

Google can only offer its 'free' services by selling your info to third parties for advertising revenue. Take that leg of the tri-pod and be whole thing falls over.

I think a lot more detail is needed on the business model before adoption increases with the publishers. They aren't going to spend their time and money curating and creating great looking news content if they can't make money off it. Period. Creating news is what they do. Their jobs and incomes depend on it.

iAds

sashapave

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
I'm not convinced this will be good enough to replace news reader apps like Flipboard, News Republic, SmartNews and others. It's pretty simple and the content options are limited.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I'm not convinced this will be good enough to replace news reader apps like Flipboard, News Republic, SmartNews and others. It's pretty simple and the content options are limited.

According to whom exactly? There are a few flagship Big Name news sources, but from the "thousands of topics" that was mentioned it sounds like it crawls the web as well....

Reactions: boston04and07

dnewkirk

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2015
Los Angeles
This is designed to compete with initiatives by Facebook and Google. It isn't Apple filtering and telling you what you can read or have access to (remember, you can add blogs, and other news sources), it's providing a platform and ad business model for publications and media companies. If the revenue is there, and the content management system is good enough, then you might just see widespread support for this.

Reactions: CarlJ

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
More Apple apps to put in the folder on the last page of my iPhone that I never open. The only reason I even use ANY Apple apps is because they can not be turned off as default. Seriously. If I could change the default for Safari, Messages, Photos and Mail, I wouldn't use any of Apple's own apps at all. I'm not going to use News or Music either. Yes, I wish you could delete Apple apps.

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
Yet another dangerous trend to limit your worldview by filtering out things that you should get exposed to, even if your interest appears limited at first. Content-curated apps may be good for shopping, entertainment, or sports, but not for world events and general culture knowledge. In such app, I probably would skip financial news based on my level of interest, yet I end up reading some quite often in NYTimes, simply because I get exposed to them.
hmm, interesting take on this. I do feel similarly but I've felt like I would end up selecting most of these b/c my interests are so broad spectrum. This is why I've never gotten used to Flipboard. It just becomes information overload if you choose too many interests. However it is a good news aggregator that exposes you to sources you'd otherwise not turn to.

also, this is gonna kill Flipboard b/c it's basically exactly the same thing.

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
More Apple apps to put in the folder on the last page of my iPhone that I never open. The only reason I even use ANY Apple apps is because they can not be turned off as default. Seriously. If I could change the default for Safari, Messages, Photos and Mail, I wouldn't use any of Apple's own apps at all. I'm not going to use News or Music either. Yes, I wish you could delete Apple apps.
you're prob using the wrong OS if that's the case.

perkedel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
California
I sent them a feedback on useless apps, apps that I don't ever use.
https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
That's something that you people should leave feedback on.
these apps can be downloaded from the store if needed, not necessary really to be on default.
newstand, game center, video, tips, stocks, apple watch, ibooks.
Yeah I got it I got it, stick it in a freaking folder. I do have it in a junk folder. I could use the space.

It looks like they're including Find My Friends and Find my iphone apps too in the next version.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
They aim to surpass apps like Flipboard and they launch in only three countries...

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
This is designed to compete with initiatives by Facebook and Google. It isn't Apple filtering and telling you what you can read or have access to (remember, you can add blogs, and other news sources), it's providing a platform and ad business model for publications and media companies. If the revenue is there, and the content management system is good enough, then you might just see widespread support for this.

Wait, can you add blogs and other news sources? I've been trying to figure that out and haven't found it definitively anywhere. Did I miss something in the keynote?

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
I think this will definitely replace Zite for me. Looking forward to it, especially if it's more privacy aware than the competition.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
I actually think this has promise. After looking into a bit, it looks like any source with an RSS feed can get themselves onto this platform. Those who use the (as yet not publicly defined) Apple News format will be able to do layout and typography in their own styles.

The true utility of this is going to come down to how good and thorough the indexing and relationship engine is. Will it really do a good job of discovering content related to your preferences and interests across all content providers? Or is it going to be shaded toward Apple's "partners"?

As far as revenue goes, it looks like providers can provide their own ads within articles (and keep 100% of ad revenue), or use iAd for more targeted advertising (with the normal 70/30 split).

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I still don't understand why Apple forces apps on us that cannot be removed. Why can't they include these apps with a new install/update but make them removable? That way, users are aware of the apps but, those who don't want it, can also remove them. Another benefit to making these apps downloadable from the Appstore is that they can push out updates for these apps without an "OS" update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.