Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Introduces New 'Solo Loop' Apple Watch Band Style

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
So I followed the instructions and measured my wrist. Got my size. Then realized my wrist was compressed from where I wear the watch. Took it off to update. Let my wrist settle. Totally different size. Wonder if they are going to let people exchange sizes easily. This is going to be fun.

Exactly the same happened to me. Going through the online order was stressful. I used sellotape and measured it first (it was the only thing I could find!) 😆

It said I was a size 4, but when printing out their guide I'm a size 10.

Apple are going to get a LOT of delivery returns for these.

Comment

Toratek

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2019
Hopefully it won’t be a lint magnet and “sticky”: like most silicones. I’ve ordered the S6 graphite with the black solo loop. If it works, great, and if not, well, I have a drawer full of sport bands that will.

Comment

lastofthefamousinternatio

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2020
Exactly the same happened to me. Going through the online order was stressful. I used sellotape and measured it first (it was the only thing I could find!) 😆

They should save themselves a whole lot of trouble and just include one larger and one smaller band with every order.

Comment

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
So if you have arthritis, or even just a cut or a band-aid, you're going to have to drag that thing over your hand. The alternative is a band that has a magnet so you can only hope it stays on (if your job doesn't already preclude wearing a magnet on your wrist).

My current Apple Watch is the Nike Series 4. (It was the only black aluminum 44mm in stock at my local Apple store). It has the sport loop with the Velcro closure. I have three aftermarket bands from my previous watch, and have not been installed any of them. The band is lightweight, infinite adjustment capabilitie, breathabl, and washable.

I know I said ”Count me in” in a previous post, after seeing the $50 price premium and the $99 price for just the band, I am going to skip the Braided Solo Loop and stick with the sports loop.

Comment

Stromos

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA

I just went ahead and cancelled my order and ordered again with the new size. Hopefully its right. If I measure with my wrist compressed right after taking the watch off its right between 6-7. If I measure after a while its just about 8. Ordered the 7.

Reactions: GadgetBen
Comment

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
You lose weight with their activity app, what do you do? (or gain weight. "of you can buy a new one for 80$, yes it's made in China for 50 cents, but you know, the design, the shipping..." Sorry stupid idea...
50 cents? Are you serious? I would guess closer to 7 cents.

Reactions: classicalbear
Comment

lk400

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
To find your best fit, Apple provides a printable tool on its website.

Wouldn’t a smart alternative be to size based on the current sports band? E.g., S/M band on number 3 hole is equivalent to size 6, and so on.

Reactions: Lazy
Comment

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
$49 or $99 for plastic band. This is insane!

Thank goodness I am not the only one. It's the same price as a stainless steel Milanese Loop band or Leather Loop...

Also, there are 12 band sizes and a multistep step process for measuring your wrist... Steve Jobs is spinning in his grave.

Reactions: classicalbear
Comment

limo79

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
@sevoneone: People should start to think - "think different!" Does it really make your life better to sponsor Apple spending irrational amount of money for extremely overpriced accesories? Also chinese stainless steel, glass or leather from Apple has questionable durability based on experience (silicone and leather case for iPhone, comments about stainless iWatch etc.). It is much better to invest these money (collecting "theoretically" small amount of money), support charity organizations, sponsor meal for homeless person etc. People think that buying gadgets make them happy (for an extremely short while) or buying iWatch change your life and reduce weight because it will build your motivation. In fact it makes a dominant company stronger and stronger and all CEO, VPs and management can live on the level you cannot dream. We sponsor lawyers paid by Apple who fight with "Right to repair" and with people like Louis Rossmann or Epic because Apple is greedy. If they want to be so fair for a consumers why why Genius offer you remanufactured motherboard (with replaced cap or res for example) cost of $1000? How many CO2 was consumed to transport these boards to Foxconn and remanufacture? How many of water was consumed? Oh this is in China and external company so we do not need to care about pollution. This is not our business.This is not California. This is not America. Consuming goods is OK but check how your salary raised over last years vs prices? For everyone who has minimum interest in economy something is definitely NOT OK during last years (decades). Fiction stock prices, financial attacks on currencies and metals like gold, silver etc made by national and private banks inspired by governments, giant companies that are donated by governments (VW group) and biggest financial institutions that take our money etc.

Last edited:
Comment

lk400

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
Thank goodness I am not the only one. It's the same price as a stainless steel Milanese Loop band or Leather Loop...

Also, there are 12 band sizes and a multistep step process for measuring your wrist... Steve Jobs is spinning in his grave.

Lol.

Even random clothing retailers have easier sizing such as "if you wear a size X in brand Y, then you are size Z". Not sure why they couldn't do that with their own bands, that presumably most customers own. Especially given many people nowadays do not own a printer (or a tape measure). I guess stretching of existing bands? I cant see the logic.

Comment

Tech198

macrumors P6
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
I think Apple's just trying to find a 'nitch' It would appeal to some, but not for all.

I would of thought the clasp would be better ...

Comment

tripleburst

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2018
I ignorantly ordered one for my series 3 and thankfully it works just fine. Even the sizing using the template was spot on. whew. I wonder why they don’t consider it compatible?

Comment

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
I ignorantly ordered one for my series 3 and thankfully it works just fine. Even the sizing using the template was spot on. whew. I wonder why they don’t consider it compatible?

Interesting. I’ll print the template since it worked for you. I have series 0.

Comment

ericwn

macrumors 603
Apr 24, 2016
They showed like 8 different sizes. That seems like a major step back from a supply chain management perspective.

Apple over the past couple of years seems to be really reducing the total number of default options and pushing customers towards purchasing additional bands.

Wait I thought there is this Apple Watch Studio section online, just looked at it yesterday, where you can configure the case size, watch material and band to your liking. Doesn’t that let you configure your desired watch?

Comment

ericwn

macrumors 603
Apr 24, 2016
So if you have arthritis, or even just a cut or a band-aid, you're going to have to drag that thing over your hand. The alternative is a band that has a magnet so you can only hope it stays on (if your job doesn't already preclude wearing a magnet on your wrist).

Or the standard rubber band with the pin like they had for ages. Or any of the other plentiful band options. Luckily Apple Watch has lots of choices.

Comment

TECK

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011
I tried today the Braided Solo Loop strap, to see how well my new aluminum watch 6 does with it. The strap was extremely comfortable and the watch did not move at all. For me it was a perfect fit, I'm a size 12 measured in store. I'm waiting for the Red Braided Solo Loop to come out, so it matches the watch. I don't like how the sport strap looks.

IMG_2790.JPG

Comment

JosephAW

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2012
Just found out something about the rubber band on my Samsung Galaxy Fit watch and am concerned it might affect the solo loop.

The other day I was using my 80% alcohol hand sanitizer and I got some on my band for my watch and the next thing you know it’s broken.
So I rubbed a little sanitizer on another piece of the band and a crack immediately appeared!

I’m concerned that the solo loop might be made of the same rubber material and fall apart when it comes in contact with hand sanitizer.

Has there been any reports of this with the Apple solo loop?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.