Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The State of Texas today announced that Apple has committed to spend $304 million to expand its operations in Austin, seeking to add 3,600 employees to its facilities there.
The new campus will more than double the size of Apple's workforce in Texas over the next decade, supporting the company's growing operations in the Americas with expanded customer support, sales and accounting functions for the region. In exchange for Apple's commitment to create these new jobs in Texas, the state has offered Apple an investment of $21 million over ten years through the Texas Enterprise Fund (TEF).
apple_austin_campus.jpg

Apple's campus in Austin, Texas (Source: Flickr/The Pug Father)
While Apple's Austin campus focuses primarily on customer support and other administrative functions, it does also house some engineering functions primarily related to chip design. Samsung's chip factory where it produces Apple's A-series chips for its iOS devices is also located in Austin and recently underwent a major expansion itself to support Apple's products.

Update: The City of Austin has also proposed an $8.6 million grant investment in the project should Apple meet certain performance metrics presumably tied to campus development and hiring. Apple is required to invest $56.5 million in new facilities and equipment by the end of 2015, with an additional $226 million investment coming by the end of 2021. Apple has also committed to retaining its existing 3,100 jobs in Austin and adding at least 3,635 new jobs, with yearly hiring targets for each of the ten years following the opening of its Phase I expansion.

Article Link: Apple Investing $300 Million in Austin, Texas to Add 3,600 More Workers

Slovak

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
So for anyone screaming "Buy American" - this is the face of globalization. Jobs will go where the skills and price are at equilibrium. Manufacturing in Asia (no, China is many times not the cheapest), higher value-added functions in the US, for example.

I don't hear anyone complaining about these jobs coming/staying in the US, even though they support international markets.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Quite a few of the key staff moved from Houston, my Apple guy and a couple of the super-techs I know recently transferred to get the ball rolling. Good to see some jobs being created what with the way things are at present.

Chris97

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2009
In exchange for Apple's commitment to create these new jobs in Texas, the state has offered Apple an investment of $21 million over ten years through the Texas Enterprise Fund (TEF).

Interesting they had to bribe them $21 million to do it, though. With $97.6 billion cash on hand and a market cap of over $500 billion, Tim Cook probably has $21 million stuck between the cushions in his couch.

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Argh! I hate Prick Rerry...and undoubtedly, he will take credit for this deal.

Wish he would trip on a stump or something. :mad:

But yay for Texas jobs.

cowtownapple

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I know I'm going to get downrank but texas of all places?:rolleyes:

"Fight on!":eek:

You've obviously never spent time in Austin, or any other part of Texas (Dallas and Houston don't count). Governor is a ding-dong, people and culture are not.

Its been at least a decade since we got running water and electricity so I'm not surprised at all about this announcement.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
That's good that Apple is expanding more in the US (besides hiring more employees in the silicon valley area).

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
More Corporate Welfare

Why does Texas need to give Apple a 21million break?

These types of subsidys make no sense. Yeah, I know....they are used to bribe companies to create jobs in an area.

No different than people subsidizing sports teams through tax increases.

An inefficient use of taxpayer money.

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
Love this, we need to bring everything back home, and sell it to the world.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Why does Texas need to give Apple a 21million break?

These types of subsidys make no sense. Yeah, I know....they are used to bribe companies to create jobs in an area.

No different than people subsidizing sports teams through tax increases.

An inefficient use of taxpayer money.

Most in Texas would disagree with you. Austin's lifeline is that big business that allows for its strange and unique culture. The state will make that money back as it has proven time and time again.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Interesting they had to bribe them $21 million to do it, though. With $97.6 billion cash on hand and a market cap of over $500 billion, Tim Cook probably has $21 million stuck between the cushions in his couch.

That's how business is run. It's quite common for cities or states to incentivize big business with tax exemptions, building pledges, or other perks. It's not a "bribe", but simple negotiation. The $21 million will easily be put back into the local economy through the jobs created, the taxes paid out by employees, and the other business generated by this expansion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.