Apple iPad 3 to launch at current price points as iPad 2 is discounted, discontinued

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jonrando, Aug 2, 2011.

1. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Doesn't seem like news at all. Isn't that what they've always done? Even without you posting this, I would safely bet the iPad 3 launches at 499 with model 2's being discounted.

2. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

still speculative...

that 'article' is speculative...not a legit, formal announcement. iow, same s***, different day.

3. jonrando thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly. Apple hasn't said anything yet so anything till then is speculation. That's all I meant for this thread to be based around.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This story:
    Apple's iPad 2 Shipping Estimates Drop to 'Within 24 Hours' in U.S. and Canada
    http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/02...es-drop-to-within-24-hours-in-u-s-and-canada/

Makes me doubt this story:
    Apple iPad 3 to launch at current price points as iPad 2 is discounted, discontinued
    http://www.bgr.com/2011/08/02/apple...-points-as-ipad-2-is-discounted-discontinued/

It took Apple 2-3 months to meet shipping demands (down from 4-5 weeks to just about one week) and 5 months to get the iPad 2 shipping time frame down to "Within 24hrs", I don't think they'd want to release a new iPad going into this years holiday shopping season.

Plus, Apple is not known for releasing multiple high profile products at once and the iPhone and iPods are more likely to get a refresh real soon.

5. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Sites like that will write anything about an apple product because it will attract even the most casual tech consumer. Plus. There was nothing new that we havn't heard before.

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The fact that they decided to lard this story up with Apple's plans to discount the iPad 2 to "clear inventory" tells me this is nothing more than wild-eyed guessing.

I guess it is possible that an Asian supplier employee or contractor might be able to sneak a peek at pre-production components, prototypes, etc. Doing so would violate all sorts of confidentiality agreements, but it could happen.

But Apple simply wouldn't leave documents with its pricing plans laying around for odd passersby to look at. The sort of decision-making that determines how, where, and when to introduce a new model - and most importantly how to handle pricing and possible discounts - is handled at the very highest levels of a complany like Apple. And retail pricing decisions aren't typically made until the very last minute. (How much lead time does changing a few numbers on a website or presentation slides take?)

My guess, based on looking at the link provided in the BGR story, is that this is a (somewhat pathetic) attempt to get buzz going concerning Asus and their wretched "Transformer" tablet. The techier corners of internets have been clogged with all sorts of Asus-related Astroturf the last few days.

7. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Wow. So a new iPad with a Retina display will show up sometime between now and next year. Really? You don't say.

Also, I highly doubt they'd sell a Retina Display iPad at the same price points. A display of that quality and that size would cost quite a bit.

This report is worthless.

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

Less than worthless. All of these just tack "retina display" on as if it's just a simple swap-out of a screen. You'd need the display, a processor to run it and a battery to handle the added demand without sacrificing life. All at current price points and within a few months.

Will. Not. Happen.

9. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

10. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

So now I'm suppose to believe 'gullible' is in the dictionary, huh? Riiiight.

11. rworne macrumors 6502

For those of us that have been around a while, on the old NeXTSTEP OS, it would use photo(s) of the user(s) and show them on emails you send or receive, to give things a more personal touch.

If you opened up the dictionary (Webster.app, IIRC) and typed in "gullible", the app would look for and use the logged in user's image next to the definition.

12. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

13. RonHC, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

I'm amazed on how many people REALLY believe that there is gonna be an iPad 3 this year

14. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

the report says it will launch "by this thanksgiving or next year"

so...basically they have no idea, and they said that so no matter when it launches (early or at the normal time) they can still have been right

15. jonrando thread starter macrumors 6502a

There haven't been as many iPad rumours as there have been for the iPhone 5, such as case designs, etc so who knows.

16. poloponies macrumors 68030

What does that even mean???