Apple is fighting Amazon in the ebook price wars (discounting books aggressively)

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by EbookReader, Sep 12, 2012.

1. EbookReader macrumors 65816

http://paidcontent.org/2012/09/11/apple-is-already-fighting-amazon-in-the-ebook-price-wars/
    Apple is already fighting Amazon in the ebook price wars

http://paidcontent.org/2012/09/11/the-price-drops-begin-what-do-harpercollins-ebooks-cost-now/
    Ebook price drops begin — and Apple is discounting, too

-----list of 12 titles and prices from different e-sellers

p.s. maybe, hopefully, MacRumors might have a "News" thread for this?

Here's the summary of what happened: After the 3 publishers settled with the DOJ,they have 30 days to come to agreement with e-retailers. The first one to do so is HarperCollins. Harpercollins sell their books wholesale. The retailers are allowed to set whatever prices they want on the books (as long as the retailers make a profit on the overall catalog).

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I just want someone to explain to me why the Carl Sagan books seem to be more than $10 yet all the Hunger Games and Fifty Shades books are less than $10. I get new releases costing more. I don't get books as old as me being more than $10. The Harry-effin' Potter books aren't even $10, and you know JK Rowling could make a killing off them at $15 apiece. Oh, AND THEY HAVE NO DRM.

3. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

More then willing to do so?!?!?!

Try... they have no other choice.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Apple does not appear to be "willing to" lower the prices. Has the cost of the books + tax been factored? I don't get charged tax on Kindle books.

5. sn424 macrumors newbie

Standard marketing; discount some mass market names and hope the punters buy regular priced books as well.