Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kotovasii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Europe
Hi, I have just bought a PB G4 15 inch (my first Apple Mac actually), on their website for PB/superdrive in the tech specifications they state that CD-R burning speed is up to 24x, however my PB refuses to burn with speed higher than 8x.

When I spoke to Apple technical support they told me that indeed the actual speed for writing data using CD-R is 10x maximum ( I do not even get that…) and for music files is 24x ( if using iTunes).
I have always thought that a bit of information is a bit of information regardless of whether it represents music or data… Am I wrong – can anyone explain this?

And if Apple is right and we cannot burn data faster than 10x on a PB G4 superdrive than perhaps they should state so on the tech specs.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
i don't get it either...however i think it may have something to do with the way os x burns a data disc. can't remember exactly what it was, but try using a different disc burning application and see if your results improve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.