Apple is NOT Replacing Bent iPhone 6's, Regardless of Visual Inspection

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mastercheif91, Oct 8, 2014.

1. mastercheif91 macrumors regular

2. bugelrex macrumors regular

I think you should go back to the store and get that in writing, this policy will change if the media make enough noise about it.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why did you need another thread? A mod should merge these.

Apple not replacing is it not a surprise to me, not even a little. Until they recognize it as an issue, you'll be on your own to replace it.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I am glad to hear this. Glad to see Apple standing it's ground!

5. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I think what this should actually say is that this particular Apple store turned you down. Pretty sure I've seen other threads where people did get their phones replaced.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I can not imagine the Apple store stopping what it is doing and giving anything written. The noise will die down soon, it has in the past and it will again!

For those who sit on their phone . . . . .

7. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Hasn't it been on the media enough? I think they should exchange it. It's obviously a defect.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you have had the phone less than 14 days just return it and buy another.

9. mastercheif91 thread starter macrumors regular

QUOTE=GoCubsGo;20045476]Why did you need another thread? A mod should merge these.

Apple not replacing is it not a surprise to me, not even a little. Until they recognize it as an issue, you'll be on your own to replace it.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. My first thread was about my particular phone. The point of this thread is to make the patrons of this forum aware of the new policy change regarding all bent iPhones.

10. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

There has never been a change. Physical damage is generally not covered under warranty. Unlike that journalist that released an article to say Apple officially will replace bent phones. That was one only support agent saying that. Not official policy.

11. erzhik macrumors 6502

...it's called class action lawsuit.

12. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

If normal people are actually having their phones bent, that's a real serious problem that Apple needs to address. It would be cheaper than a class action lawsuit.

I know if my 6+ bent under normal use and Apple denied a replacement, I wouldn't make a scene about it. I'd walk away quietly but never purchase another iPhone again.

13. BuffordT macrumors regular

Do express service. Mail your old one back in.

14. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Cheaper for who? A class action lawsuit is not a guaranteed payoff for the plaintiff. In many cases people lose class action lawsuits.

15. Robert1-1 macrumors member

I'm kind of surprised. Most everyone you hear talk about this has gotten there's replaced if in the U.S. and at an Apple store. I would definitely go try a different store. Maybe the guy was in a bad mood.

16. Enabledobject macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

Until it happens to you.

17. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Apple is NOT Replacing Bent iPhone 6's, Regardless of Visual Inspection

The attorneys win, Apple loses, the consumer win on principal.

18. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

And the lawyers get a massive percentage of the settlement. Rest assured you will not get your full purchase price if you won in a class action suite, which would take years to settle as well.

19. HenryDJP macrumors 603

LMAO, throw your principles out the door. That won't satisfy anyone. A little guppy takes a large corporation to court and the little guppy loses the case. How is the guppy wining? On what principles?

20. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

I saying in general, but how do your know Apple would win in this class action lawsuit?

----------

We all know, at least most of us, attorneys only win in these types of lawsuits.

----------

Anyhow, it is not a "guppy" against a corporation, it is a class of plaintiffs, not just one "guppy"

21. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I'm not saying they would "win". What are they gonna win on? They're not the one doing the suing. The court just may dismiss the whole thing.

The worse thing that could happen to Apple in the situation is the court would make Apple replace the plaintiff's phones.

People are trying to call this crap a "defect". The iPhone 6/6 Plus is not defective. It works just fine. If people are sitting on their phones or purposely taking their hands and bending it then the court will throw that suit in the trash.

Sure, this phone is thin and it's capable of being bent by the user but I've been putting my iPhone 6 Plus in my pockets since I got it and I've had no issue. Normal use.

I'm not lawyer, I'm just using logic. I said this in another thread. You can buy a $150k Ferrari and someone can park right next to you and swing their car door open "normally" and ding your car. Cars dent easily regardless the amount of money spent on them. It's up the user to recognize that and take care of them.

What are people gonna do, file a class action lawsuit against every car company? This world is so sue happy.

22. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

A few weeks ago 9to5mac released an "Inside Apple" article that revealed a lot of inside talks and internal policies within Apple. In the article it was said that typically after a launch of a new product if you drop, damage or have any issues with your device (like WiFi or cellular connectivity) you are more likely to get it replaced because Apple wants to collect those devices and have the engineers review them to see what may have caused the issue to quickly find a solution.

It could be that Apple has collected enough bent iPhones and are no longer offering an exchange.

P.S.
    I'll find the article and post the link in a bit

23. its Dale macrumors 6502

That's usually accounted for before settlement. You'll get back cost of the phone at MINIMUM.

24. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

1: A single store manager told you this. You don't really know that it's Apple policy generally. There's been no company wide statement to this effect.

2: Have you figured out how your phone got bent yet? It seems notable that when asked about this you very pointedly dodge the answer. It's a valid and non-accusatory question.

25. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

If Apple "prevails," and the court dismisses the lawsuit, that is a "win".

You don't know that Apple would "prevail"/"win". That is for the court to decide what the "facts" are. What you stated was an "opinion".

You said it yourself, you are not an attorney.

And like almost every class action lawsuit, only the attorneys "win". $$$$

----------

As for #bendgate, I have no comment whether it is a defect or poor personal care/handling of the device.