apple is now charging to RE download an app to your iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fratboy, May 31, 2009.

1. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

2. fratboy thread starter macrumors regular

no it was different

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hope thats not true, if it is its some serious BS.
    So if I want to redownload an app I gotta pay twice for the same app I already paid for or wait till I get home?
    Nonsense..........
    Then they wonder why everyone pirates software.........

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

It's not true. I just re-downloaded Classics and Twitterfon Pro last night and got the same message that I've always gotten (something about how this upgrade is free because I purchased a previous version).

Edit: I just deleted Classics and re-downloaded. Still got the same pop-up message.

/thread

5. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I just tried it on 2.2.1 and there was nothing out of the ordinary. Is this a 3.0 only feature?

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Never seen that before.

If that's true, what happens if you download to your phone and delete it before syncing to the computer? There won't be a copy of it on the computer to download for free.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

8. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

LOL.
    I also like your sig.

9. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

The screenshot in that thread is what happens if you have an app on your device that you did not purchase on the account associated with the device. For example, my boyfriend will log into his account on my computer and download apps for me that he has already purchased. I can then sync those to my phone, but i cannot update them on my phone. To updated them he has to log in again and check for updates on his account.

However, in 3.0 you are able to change accounts on the phone very easily. Now when i go to update an app that he purchased on his account, it will ask for his password instead of mine.

10. Oman macrumors regular

Uhhh.... That is already the case. When it is time to update the app my GF paid for that I have on my iPhone.. a box appears that wants me to input her password. It prepopulates the username field with her e-mail address. This has been the case for time now.

11. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Oh maybe that is true. I've been on 3.0 for awhile and don't remember. A new feature though is that you can go into settings and switch accounts that way. So you can now log into another account and do purchases - something you couldnt really do before.

Settings > Store
    Here you can "Sign Out" or "View Account". View account feature doesn't appear to be functioning yet though.

12. sallythemac Guest

Is it something to do with 3.0 and the ability to sign in and out of iTunes accounts on your iPhone? For example, if your friend wanted a copy of an app you had already bought, all you would have to do is sign them out on there iPhone, "re-download" the app, sign back out again. Easy way people could buy an app once and every person they have physical contact with that owns an iPhone could get a copy? Updates would be an issue, of course, but still...

Maybe?

(Edit: Just realised this idea was put forward in the original link - Sorry.)

(Edit 2: And above.)

13. det2004 macrumors 6502

Not true. I have attempted to re-download apps that I purchased with the account associated with my iPhone, and I get the pop-up saying that I can re-download it on my pc for free, or tap buy to buy it again.

If you were attempting to download an app that you didn't already purchase from the account associated with your device, you wouldn't get any pop-up, it would just buy the app. The only time you would get a pop-up that way is if you were attempting to update an app that was already on your device and was linked to a different iTunes account.

14. sesnir macrumors 6502

I didn't get that pop-up when I redownloaded an app today that I had deleted months ago... I call BS.

15. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Like music, the apps can only be associated with 5 computers. The iTunes account has to be authorized on the computer that the device syncs with.

16. det2004 macrumors 6502

Do you have 3.0? Because I believe everybody that is having this problem is on 3.0, so it's kind of silly for you to call BS if you don't have it.

17. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This is for 3.0 not the current version.

18. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Go Penguins!

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats pretty messed up, I guess Hackulo is going to get alot of traffic soon....