Apple is reportedly building a Siri speaker to rival Amazon’s Echo

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by alex_ivaylov, Aug 26, 2016.

1. alex_ivaylov macrumors newbie

Link to the original article:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/24/11763836/apple-siri-speaker-amazon-echo-alexa-google-home-ai

This is a bit old but do you guys know anything more about it?

I am thinking about buying an Amazon Echo but it's not officially launched in the UK so it doesn't work properly here.

Do you think we have a chance of seeing a Siri bluetooth speaker this year considering the fact that Apple are opening up the Siri API to developers and the rumour that next iPhone will not have the headphone jack?

2. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I wouldn't expect anything until at least 2017. Quite honestly they should just bake it into the next 5th gen Apple TV rather than an all new seperate device.

3. iPhonetherefore macrumors regular

A Siri speaker wouldn't work if part of the Apple TV. Needs to be few wires and good looking enough to put on a table or sideboard so mic/speakers can hear and be heard. Would be perfect for a home hub for HomeKit. I hope it's launched sooner rather than later. If Amazon bought echo to the uk before apples Siri speaker I would be very tempted...

4. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I suggested something like this two years ago. Glad to see it's happening. One step closer to JARVIS.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

People were recommending Siri on the Mac for something like 4 years and apple finally added it.

Unless the Siri has been improved dramatically, I wonder how useful it will in a stand alone unit.

6. alex_ivaylov thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat. I was reading somewhere that we will have some sort of voice assistant speaker before the end of the year because the UK is a big market and companies are eager to step foot into it considering the success Amazon Echo has been in the US.

7. Tech198 macrumors G5

I still say u have a mobile phone or tablet for siri..

You have at least one of those things on you at all times don't you? u can have a stand in the kitchen for iPhone's hand free...

Whats the difference here ?

8. Kyle4 macrumors 6502

The idea of this is cool, but Siri isn't quite at the level I'd like it at to be a super assistant. I'm looking forward to the technology's evolving over the years.