Apple just gave me a brand new 3GS. Should I sell?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by papercrane, Apr 28, 2010.

1. papercrane macrumors newbie

I need some advice.

I had a problem with my 3GS and Apple ended up giving me a brand new 3GS 16gb to replace it. I haven't even taken the protective plastic off the new phone yet. How much could I sell this phone for on ebay? I am eligible for the partial upgrade so I can get the new phone coming out this summer for what I think should be $399. If I could get $400 or more, then I would consider selling it and just buying a flip phone in the mean time until the new one is released.

What would you do?

2. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Sell it! You will probably get more than 400. YOu can last about a month and a half with a flip phone.

3. tnisatard macrumors 6502

how the heck did you get apple to replace it with a brand new one!

4. papercrane thread starter macrumors newbie

the power button was depressed in the phone and at an angle. i just took it into an apple store, explained the problem, and the guy at the genius bar told me that when it is easy to take apart the phone and replace a screen or home button, but that the power button is connected to the hard drive which makes it much more difficult to fix. when this happens they just replace the phone instead of repair it. no complaints from me!

5. bob616 macrumors 6502

that phone isn't technically new, it is a refurbished phone. so the insides of it are used parts while the outside plastic metal and glass are new

6. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

thats why apple genius are idiots. ok the power button is not connected to the hard drive at all. Thats why I got into this business because apple genius's are idiots. But hey you got a refurb out of the deal which is great for you.

7. papercrane thread starter macrumors newbie

i specifically asked if it was a new or refurbished phone and i was told that it was new, and that apple doesn't replace broken phones with refurbished ones.

8. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

That is absolutely false.

9. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

only one way to tell does your serial number start with 5k

10. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

and its not false i have got some brand new not refurb 3gs thru warranty

11. papercrane thread starter macrumors newbie

replacement serial id starts with 83

12. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

13. papercrane thread starter macrumors newbie

uhh..which is?

14. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

most likely not a refurb...apple refurbs start with a 5k for a serial number your is not a refurb its new......

15. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Yeah looks like you are a lucky one and did actually get a new unit based on the serial #. I know plenty of people that have gotten refurbs, so congrats!

Now go sell it, haha.

16. papercrane thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome. thanks. how much should i shoot for? is the fact that it is not sealed in the original box going to be an issue proving that it is a brand new phone? I have the Genius Bar Authorization and Service Confirmation paper that I can provide if that adds any value. I just want to make sure i go about this in the right way.

17. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Thats weird. Why didnt they take it out the box? When you went to get your phone fixed did you take your whole box with charger and headphones and all?

18. duky macrumors 6502

Why would it matter if it is a refurb or not? The replacements they give you look good as new and I don't think your average buyer of a used iPhone is going to check the serial number to tell whether it's a refurb or not. You're not selling it as a "new" item anyway since it will not be sealed in the box but it would be more like "like new". I don't see why people get up in arms about getting recycled parts. It's good business, it's good to recycle rather than just trash parts and I don't see customers losing here since they get their issue fixed and get a better looking product than what they came with (if they get a refurb replacement 1 week after purchasing a brand-new product then I think that's another issue).

19. papercrane thread starter macrumors newbie

no i didnt take my box or any accessories with me. i just figured they would fix the button and that would be that. when he told me they were going to replace it he just pulled out a phone that was in a white box from under the counter and put my sim in it and gave it to me. nothing about my original box or accessories was ever mentioned.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    Some of them are really clueless.

Thats was a complete lie :D

Phones that are in those white boxes are refurbs BTW.
    But it doesnt matter anyway.

21. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Oh. When you said "I haven't even taken the protective plastic off the new phone yet." I was thinking the black/white iphone box with the plastic around it.:eek:

22. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

I got a replacement last week, serial number starts with 84.

23. papercrane thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry about that, i should have been more clear. ya, i meant the protective plastic on the phone itself.

24. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I have nothing against refurbs at all. But if this guy wants to sell, he can be honest in the product description and say it's brand new. I guarantee you if he put refurb in the description it would sell for less. That's why it's good news for him.