Apple just replace $ with £ for Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rsnapeuk, Sep 8, 2016.

1. rsnapeuk macrumors regular

Amazed that there's no currency conversion being used to convert the $ pricing into sterling...

US Pricing:
    upload_2016-9-8_9-43-8.png

UK Pricing:
    upload_2016-9-8_9-42-53.png

Madness?! I understand the pound is weaker now, but converting $399 is £298 at today's exchange rate....

2. TheBigDog macrumors member

TheBigDog

Appalling. This won't sell well in GB if that's the case, it looks good, but not £400 good

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

They've always done this. Always. Not sure why you're surprised.

Plus remember that US prices don't include tax. UK prices are inclusive of VAT.

4. TheBigDog macrumors member

TheBigDog

Price jump still not justified. This is apple wanting round numbers as always.

5. rsnapeuk thread starter macrumors regular

There's always been a difference between UK / USA prices yes @keysofanxiety, but for UK they've never just swapped over the currency symbol.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

The rest of Europe have it worse and pay a lot more. Though it's not perfect, the grass is always greener. :p
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2016 ---
    I'm almost positive they have in the past. This certainly isn't anything that they've never done.

7. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

8. TheBigDog macrumors member

TheBigDog

Looks like we can expect worse than usual sales in GB this year. Apples announcement has been hugely disappointing this year.

9. MacBAir macrumors member

MacBAir

I'm the first to jump on them, but not at this time.

This is all the pound becoming worthless after the Brexit, compared with how it was, + the usual taxing. Do the math.

About the event being lackluster... What? They now have the 5 fastest phones on the market, and with the exception of the screen, that is also top notch too, they beat their competitors in all aspects of hardware and software.

So, no.

10. TorontoSS macrumors 6502

Well I'm not happy about it but it is completely justified for Apple. The pound is lower. Much lower. You can thank all the Brexit voters out there - it's not Apple's fault they put the country in ridiculous uncertainty.

It's just the way it goes with products. Don't blame Apple - blame the people in the UK. Prices get corrected for all products/flight tickets, etc. This is just another example. Get ready for a more expensive UK!

11. TheBigDog, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2016

TheBigDog macrumors member

TheBigDog

I have

12. MacBAir, Sep 8, 2016

MacBAir macrumors member

MacBAir

What does that even mean? I'm sure you can do the math. The £ is worthless compared with what it was. So, price of Apple products and any new product sold worldwide will go up. Phones will go up, computers will go up, consoles will go up, cars too.

1 £ went from 1,5 dollars to 1,33. As such, prices should rise more or less 15%. No?

13. TheBigDog macrumors member

TheBigDog

The cost should be £357.60 inc VAT. Tell me, why the additional £42?

14. TorontoSS, Sep 8, 2016

TorontoSS macrumors 6502

Rent, higher cost of business in the UK, etc.

It's actually completely justified. Is it good? No of course not.

15. TheBigDog, Sep 8, 2016

TheBigDog macrumors member

TheBigDog

I'm working with the lower conversion. Where has the additional £42 come from?

16. TorontoSS macrumors 6502

Like I said, "rent, higher cost of business in the UK". Products were always more expensive in the UK than the US. This is not new.

17. TheBigDog macrumors member

TheBigDog

The jump is unjustified compared to the previous GB "apple tax". They're just milking us because they can.

18. Freida macrumors 65816

I think I'll join the crowd and not buy despite actually considering the AW2 as my first purchase of the watch. Going from £300 to £400 is just outrages regardless of what the cause is. £400 for what it offers is just a no go and I hope more people will vote like me so that Apple will adjust the price again (like they did before).
    £350 I would swallow, £400 not a chance!

19. rsnapeuk thread starter macrumors regular

Likewise Apple Watch 2 was going to my first purchase... but can't justify a sudden price increase. I did consider buying series 1 at the slightly cheaper rate now though.

20. NeilHD macrumors regular

Sony announced the PS4 Pro yesterday. Their pricing:

$399
    £349

And this was announced the same day, taking the worthless pound into consideration. So I don't see why Apple has to go so far. Adjusting for exchange rate and adding VAT should put it at about £360-£365. £399 is just greedy.

If I do buy an Apple Watch I'll be picking it up when I'm next in the US.

21. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Sales of second hand Apple gear in the UK will jump. I'm an avid Apple fan and gadget owner, these increases will make me just buy things when abroad, yes Apple still get my money but I'm not paying the UK prices. An Apple watch (New one £100 more), few straps (£10 more each) and an iPod Nano (£20 more) as a gift, with those increases it would part fund my flight cost!

Accessories gone up, old devices gone up. I fear for the forthcoming new Mac pricing!!

22. Freida macrumors 65816

Yes, exactly! I might consider getting the AW2 from USA if my friend will be able to get a deal from best buy or something like that before xmas. That is probably the only way I might purchase it. No way I'm paying full price here in UK. Well, yesterday saved me a lot of money so on one hand its good this way as I won't spend anything. :D :D :D

P.S.: £159 Airpods? Oh, that was the cherry on the top - I've never laughed so hard :)))

23. MadCar macrumors member

Am I missing something...?

The watch is $400 in the US, now convert that to £ its £300 but still with no tax, but it could drop and Apple won't want to be out of pocket so lets be kind and say £310.

So add tax on at 20% back on and its back up to £372. But wait a minute we haven't included any import duty, the last time I got a fancy watch from the US I had to pay a rate dependent on the cost of the watch or call it a gift over £125 you are looking at 2.5% and I believe for watches it could be as much as 4.5%!!

So £310 + is really £317.75 with duty or as much as £323.95 (it could be more / could be less).

So we now get to £388.74 with duty and tax paid yes thats still less than the US but the economies of scale are lower as well so £399 isn't the crime to humanity that many would make out it to be, plus as some have mentioned its even worse for some paying in Euros.

24. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Pound is weak, UK is leaving the EU. This has to be expected. Prices of other imported goods will rise as well in the UK. That's what you get for it.

25. TorontoSS macrumors 6502

Thank you - some people here don't seem to get the cost of business in the UK, and what it takes to import an item from a foreign country and the taxes/duties on it. Is it great? No it's not great. We're clearly not happy. But it is justified. There's more to business, importing, and selling an item in a different country than looking at an exchange rate on XE.com.