Apple just replaced my old MacBook with the new touchbar one..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TrevorR90, Mar 3, 2017.

1. TrevorR90 macrumors newbie

I have to say, Apple really made me happy today.

A couple months ago my 2015 MacBook 15" started doing a pink flickering on the screen. So I took it to the Apple Store and they sent it to the repair depot and they replaced the screen and sent it to me within 2 days (Really fast turnaround).

A week later, it started doing the same thing... So I took it Apple again and they sent it to the repair depot and they replaced the motherboard.

A couple weeks later, it did the same exact thing.. Fricking wow... So I took it to them again, they sent it to the repair depot and they replaced the screen and the motherboard and they also found that the I/O board was defective (Not sure how that causes pink flickering). I got it back within 2 days.

A couple days ago I was typing up a word document and the screen was pixelating all over.... I restarted the computer and upon starting the screen would pixelate. Every boot up it would pixelate for 30 seconds and go away. So I took it back to them and they saw the pixelating and genius went to talk to someone and said the only resolution was to give me a new MacBook. I was pleasantly surprised. They matched the specifications to my old MacBook. It was a 2015 15" Retina with 512gb and AMD dedicated graphics and they gave me a new 2016 one with the touchbar. Best part is that the standard 1 year warranty applies as the one to my 2015 expired 3 weeks ago.

Apparently they have some hidden policy that after the 4th major issue within 3 months, they replace it.

I guess the lesson is to always buy AppleCare which after this incident, I will buy the extended warranty. IMG_5929.JPG IMG_6192.JPG

Thats my brag story I guess....

2. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

Not sure about "hidden policy," more likely the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which states "if the product, or a component part, contains a defect or malfunction, must permit the consumer to elect either a refund or replacement without charge, after a reasonable number of repair attempts."

But either way, they did the right thing and I am happy they took care of you :)

3. Speechless macrumors 6502a

4. MrGuder macrumors 68020

That is a very cool story. I bet had Apple still produced the 2015 with AMD that is the one you would have got as a replacement, that's good they don't because the 2016 MBP has a better screen, faster ram, better battery life and you gotta love those small bezels.

5. vrBrew Suspended

vrBrew

sucks about all of the failures. but that is a good outcome.

6. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Welcome to the club! I went from a 2013 to TouchBar!

IMG_3400.jpg

7. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Good to hear. Did they offer to throw in any new adapters?

I went from a G3 "iceBook" to a white G4 iBook years ago for similar reasons. They shipped it to me while I was on a business trip, too. I was without a computer for no more than two days while they BTO'd my replacement.

8. Zenithal macrumors 603

My condolences. :p This is actually fairly common. While not with Apple, I've been through the same rounds with other brand companies. It's to keep you a happy consumer and ensure a higher possibility of future business with them as a consumer.

Awesome choice picking out Space Grey.

9. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

My problem lasted a year. I received a ton of accessories because I complained. Basically asked for everything I would need to effectively use this machine with my current home office, work office, travel setup.

10. Wrong Turn macrumors member

That's fantastic, I have had a similar experience.
    My MBP 2011 failed the first time sometime around 2 years ago and since I knew there was no warranty left on it I shelved it and bought a new Macbook 12".
    Early december last year I stumbled upon information regarding Apples extended warranty program and my old MBP was according to it's serial number valid.
    I turned to the nearest service center and they confirmed failed dGPU and replaced the logic board.
    I took the MBP back home, used it for a week and it failed again.
    I contacted the service center and they told me that they where out of logic boards due to my MBP 2011 was going vintage new year 2016/2017. BUT, they said that wanted to take another crack at it since it was their responsibility due to warranty after their first change.
    They formatted the hard drive and told me it was okay again.
    I took it home, started it, launched Diablo 3 and BAM! failure again.
    I contacted them again and they told me that they where now unable to help me and directed me to Apple Care (this was January 5 2017).
    I called Apple Care and they where investigating the matter for almost one and a half month (a lot of emails and calls during this time).
    The 15th of February I was contacted and informed that Apple was gonna replace my old MBP with a NEW MBP 2016 touch bar, equipped with 1TB HDD alongside with several dongles.
    I was quite a shock to say the least.
    I have after that been talking to Apple Care and was allowed to change the color of my replacement unit from silver to space grey as well as at my cost upgrade the graphics card from 450 to 460.
    I have already received the dongles (3 of them: usb, thunderbolt, network) and the MBP is right now sitting in Amsterdam and will arrive on Tuesday next week.
    I for sure won't complain about Apples service... ever again.

11. oldtime macrumors 6502

I feel like that's the least they could do for all the time you wasted with defective machine after defective machine. Good on them. Enjoy the new laptop :)

12. Cesar Battistini macrumors regular

Cesar Battistini

OK I just went from a 2011 to a touch bar and a bunch of accessories.

That just happened.

13. psymps macrumors member

psymps

Let's just hope in a few years time, the 2016/2017 MBP's manifest similar issues so I can get a new model for free :D