Apple Just Told Me I Can't Buy Iphone 4 at the No Commitment Price

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fuzzielitlpanda, Jun 17, 2010.

1. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

Here's my situation:

I'm not eligible for full upgrade, but I can get the 16GB at 399 with 2 year contract, so I placed a reservation at my local Apple store. Today, I realized that I don't want to be stuck in the contract for another 2 years, but I still want the phone. I called up the Apple store and asked "since I already have my phone reserved, can I just buy the phone at the full price?" Their answer: "No, we're not selling the phone without contract any more."

Are they full of it?

2. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Maybe they are only doing it right now while there are short supplies? I would assume that if they have a "no commitment price" then you would be able to buy at a no commitment price! lol.

3. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Makes 100% sense from a business perspective. Why are they going to sell a VERY RARE (as of right now) phone to someone who will not be staying with ATT for two years when there are THOUSANDS of people who will?

It's all about the money. Both Apple and ATT make more off the monthly fee than the profit off the actual iPhone.

4. JohnSFO macrumors regular

JohnSFO

This sounds like an employee who doesn't know all the facts. I hope it's not true since I was thinking of buying a no commitment phone when the dust settles!

5. JohnSFO macrumors regular

JohnSFO

Does anyone know how much Apple makes off the 2 year contract? I guess I never thought they shared in that profit!

6. supremeMilo macrumors member

My reserve says $599. (I am eligible for an upgrade)

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I preordered a no commitment iphone 4 for $599
    I didnt have a choice but offcourse its possible.
    Whoever you spoke to was clueless.

8. fuzzielitlpanda thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup I just want the phone. Why have a price for no commitment if they're not willing to sell it? Pretty dumb if you ask me.

9. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

They will sell it with no commitment but only AFTER the whole launch ordeal. They won't until all pre-orders are done and that's not until mid July - for now.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes. When I was trying to preorder via the iPhone it would only let me reserve @ the "no commit" price b/c they couldn't connect to the ATT servers. I didn't want to reserve so I thought I canceled but about 30 sec. later I got a confirmation email to p/u 1 32GB iPhone @ $599.

11. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Unfortunately, that must be a little kid who doesn't know what is going with iphone 4. He probably just learned that iphone 4 is coming out.

12. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

13. JohnSFO macrumors regular

JohnSFO

Isn't the 32GB $699?

14. fuzzielitlpanda thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll try to talk to someone there again tomorrow. My back up is just to get one off ebay and give up the reserved one.

15. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

16. fuzzielitlpanda thread starter macrumors 6502a

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats false.
    The no commitment price is just that.
    You dont sign a contract to get it if you're an existing AT&T customer. You purchase it full price.
    And since I cant get an early or full upgrade I got mine for the full price.
    I didnt sign or extend my contract and I will be fully eligable in February 2011 for a new one.

18. fuzzielitlpanda thread starter macrumors 6502a

Seems like there's no clear answer. I'll try to get a hold of the store manager tomorrow.

19. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

20. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

I will also be purchasing it at the no commitment price. Already have a contract, but I don't want to resign up for another 2 years.

I called the Apple Store on the 15th in the afternoon and asked the guy, will there be extra iPhones at the store on launch for the non pre order people and for the no commitment price, and he said oh yea, definitely. (Again, the 15th in the afternoon.....)

Also, a few things according to the Apple site:

In the fine print on the bottom of the page:
    For those who are not eligible for an early upgrade or who wish to buy iPhone as a gift, the prices are $499 (8GB), $599 (16GB), or $699 (32GB).

(So say, it's a gift lol)

AND ON THIS PAGE:

When you click "Is a new contract with ATT required?" on the bottom left of the FAQ, it says:
    A new 2-year commitment with AT&T is required when starting your purchase online. Additionally, the Apple Retail Store offers a no-commitment iPhone for the full retail price.

21. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I'm sure the manager will clear this confusion up!

22. fuzzielitlpanda thread starter macrumors 6502a

haha yes i'm going to have to be careful about what i say i guess. gift gift gift!

23. navigates macrumors 6502a

Simple. Get the iphone on a new line on your account for 10 bucks + 15 for data. After a month pay the ETF on that line and keep the phone OR keep the line for 2 years but after a month tell ATT u are using a nokia and u don't need the data plan. They will remove the data plan. All in all, you still save and as an added benefit, you get a spare line for 2 years.

24. fuzzielitlpanda thread starter macrumors 6502a

there are 4 lines on my family plan already. why do i have to go through all that trouble just to buy the phone when i'm supposed to be able to buy it no commitment?

25. fuzzielitlpanda thread starter macrumors 6502a

i just went into the store today and was told the same thing: they are NOT selling it at the no commitment price.