Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Keyboard and Apple Mouse

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
well i like the keyboard. putting the USB ports in the back instead of the sides will make things look a lot nicer, and plugs should be easier to work with on a desk. i also like that the keyboard actually sits on a slant - the bar on the old ones did nothing to actually keep the keyboard tilted, and i had to put the case from a zip disk underneath.

as far as the mouse goes, though, i can't see anything different. what is special about this mouse? am i just missing something?

::edited for spelling because i apparently have a hard time typing::

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
Originally posted by patrick0brien
What's different about the mouse?

it looks like you cant adjust the laser. before there was a wheel around it.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by bokdol
it looks like you cant adjust the laser. before there was a wheel around it.

as i understand things, the wheel was not for the laser, but rather for the button. changing the settings changed how hard you had to push to get the "clicking" action.

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Hate to pitchabitch about Apple, but what's up with this lame-o one button mouse? Looks pretty, goes directly in drawer to get replaced by my Logitech 2 button with the mighty mighty scrollwheel.

Art Vandelay

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2003
Re: big woop

Originally posted by jayb2000
So the revision is White instead of black?

yawn

They were white before. Apple has offered black and white versions for both the mouse and keyboard since the G4 iMacs were released.

The physical design of the keyboard is what's changed.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
LAME!!

Okay, that keyboard doesn't look adjustable... big downer for all of us who like typing on a flat keyboard (better for your hands and wrists!)

morlium

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
for what it's worth, Apple.com isn't selling it.

where did these pictures come from?

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England
Oooh! I love the new mouse! I can't wait to get one!

(The wheel around the laser is to adjust click-sensitivity of the mouse body. In the three different positions, the mouse must either be pressed more firmly or lighter to do a "click" - it's so subtle though)

a_kim

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2002
DC
Originally posted by mangoman
Hate to pitchabitch about Apple, but what's up with this lame-o one button mouse? Looks pretty, goes directly in drawer to get replaced by my Logitech 2 button with the mighty mighty scrollwheel.

Amen to that. I love Logitech.

Agasthya

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by morlium
for what it's worth, Apple.com isn't selling it.

where did these pictures come from?

goto www.applestore.com click on emac and then at the bottom click "Photo gallery" and the pictures are down there.

enjoy.

Future Man

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
very un-wow

I wonder if this keyboard is 64-bit compatible...lol. I agree With JtheLemur, what about adjustability?
And to me there seems absolutely no change in the pretty but pretty unfunctional mouse.

morlium

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
... so this is an eMac-only peripheral?

the store still sells the Pro Keyboard ...

pfranzen

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
London
Now they made me post...

I agree...whats the point of apple mice with only 1 button...ok I confess I am a converted but jez...

Logitech must be rubbing their hands together...

Sign me up for the MULTIPLE button scroll wheel APPLE mouse...Stop wasting natures resources by producing useless plastic Apple!

;P

PS i keep mine on my bookcase cuz it sure does look pretty. Unfortunately I use my computer for WORK as well as ART! Me BAD!

macdong

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Seattle, WA
Apple really needs to stop making these one-button useless mouse.
Sure it's pretty, but adding one more button won't kill it.
not for Apple, no sir.
So what's keeping ya???

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
hmm, odd one this, i liked the adjustment bar on the "old" keyboard. the new one looks too chunky, and possibly cheaper. as for the ports on the back, don't like it, the table i have my iMac on is small, and the keyboard is right up against the dome base, with the new ports, it takes up valuable room.

and why is everyone bitching about the one button mouse??? i've never needed a second button, even with photoshop and quark etc, i used to have a two button mouse, when i had a commodore amiga. the one button mouse is an apple trademark! i think they should stick with it :)

Chisholm

macrumors regular
May 31, 2002
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Hmmmm. I wonder if this new design might be a little pre-bluetooth experiment. Otherwise it seems little use to just make the keyboard thicker in the rear. I do love the USB in the rear.

cheers!
John

Sedulous

Contributor
Dec 10, 2002
Actually, the area around the aperature of the "laser" looks slightly different and it only says "Mouse" rather than "Pro Mouse".

Most people I know are happy with the single button mouse. You can operate more options using the keyboard since there are far more keys there than you could fit on the mouse itself. To satisfy critics, Apple really should offer a multi-buttoned "Pro Mouse" as a BTO option. Perhaps that is why Apple now has a plain "Mouse" for sale (read as sign of upcoming changes to pro designs).

soosy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
Originally posted by baby duck monge
well i like the keyboard. putting the USB ports in the back instead of the sides will make things look a lot nicer, and plugs should be easier to work with on a desk. i also like that the keyboard actually sits on a slant - the bar on the old ones did nothing to actually keep the keyboard tilted, and i had to put the case from a zip disk underneath.

I believe it is recommended to never use keyboard "kickstands" due to repetitive stress injuries. I can't find a relevant link at the moment... but it tends to bend your wrists back when they should be straight.

the old keyboard slants slightly up even with the kickstand down.... in fact, if you look from the side, it looks the same as the new one.

knoxer

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2003
Iowa - USA
Not the Pro mouse/kb

This is the "Apple Mouse" and the "Apple Keyboard"

These are the 'cheap' versions of the "Apple PRO Mouse" and "Apple PRO Keyboard"

There is nothing better about them, they are cheaper to make and are therefor included with the eMac. I'm predicting that at least the PowerMac will continue to use the Pro hardware, if not the iMac as well.

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
one observation I made, they are no longer called "Pro" equipment, which might mean that new "Pro" stuff might be on the way with the next powermac revision. Leave the one button mouse to eMac buyers and have something better for the pro users. Sounds feasable to me at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.