Apple Keyboard Revision

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
One reader reports seeing a slightly modified Apple keyboard image on a new banner hanging in the "Etc..." section of a larger Apple Store.

The user was unable to provide photos, but described a side-view image of an Apple Keyboard which was slightly different (no elevation bar, instead a larger base) than current ones.

Still awaiting verification of this image. Any readers with personal observations/photos are welcome to comment...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Intriguing. We'll just have to stay tuned while arn pumps his army of highly-unpaid secret undercover informants for more information.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
So is this just a simplification of the current enclosure to reduce parts count/cost?

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by Sun Baked
So is this just a simplification of the current enclosure to reduce parts count/cost?
I doubt it. Apple (usually does) needs to innovate, and keeping
the same enclosure wouldn't be an innovation. Although there
isn't much apple can add to the keyboard, I'm sure there is
something they could improve.

wdw_

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2002
I have a video tape under my keyboard between the bar and the main part. My desk is raised up by a couple of bricks, becasue of a small flooding problem, so I need it at a different angle to be comfertable. Anyway, Apple could use a new radical, functional keyboard design. I love the keyboards now, but I just love it when Apple releases new products.:p

Natron

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2002
I wonder if Apple will add "touch sensitive" buttons to the keyboard, like the ones added to the iPod. Not to the entire keyboard, but either some at the top or on the side.

Maybe these could be for volume, screen brightness, eject, etc. The keyboard could also add a scroll wheel (like the iPod) that would work like the Powermate for volume, video scrubbing, or even include a center button, and work like the iPod, in the Finder's column view. (I personally think this could be pretty cool.)

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I hope the letters glow and are light sensative much like the ones on the 17 and 15 inch powerbooks

bikertwin

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
This Old House
The reader reported a thicker keyboard . . . isn't that required for a wireless/Bluetooth keyboard?

And as previously suggested, a video scrubber would be awesome (in my dreams, anyway).

ear2ear

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2002
Toronto
Ambient light sensors would be great for my little recording studio since the lights are always down low.

Is USB capable of this? (I'm assuming yes given the existence of the Flylight).

Bluetooth certainly isn't.

(Someone should make this at least.)

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
I couldn't even find an "Etc..." section on the apple store. Can anyone divulge it's location? Has anyone else seen this keyboard?

The mock up above looks exactly like the pictures of the keyboards they have up already only with the thicker base. It doesn't seem logical to me that apple would remove the ability to lay the keyboard flat. If the mock-up is anything like what the user saw couldn't it be that the person just mistook the picture currently up on the Apple store site (which has the fold out legs extended) for a new keyboard?

shakespeare

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2002
Portland, Maine
The "Etc" section is where accessories (printers, scanners, etc) are stored in physical, retail Apple stores, not online. They tend to be in the back right of the store.

lafbbr

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2003
MN
I saw it at the Southdale Apple Store. The banner said something like The Other Stuff. The keyboard had no USB port on the side.

From Win to Mac

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2001
Montreal, Canada
Then it's not made by Apple. With the short length of our mouses, with absolutely need a USB plug on both sides.
Now say they were gonna "innovate" by giving the mouse a long cord, that would be dumb.

So the other possibility is Bluetooh. But i would still hope that they leave the USB ports, since i need them both ! And Macs only come with 2 on the back, and 1 is used for the keyboard.
why don't we get 4 or 5 like PC people !

Niknar

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2003
Scotland
Well I have been waiting for a new keyboard and mouse.

So I hope this is near release.

I doubt the USB ports will be taken of completely maybe justed moved to a new place.

I am not to bothered with a bluetooth keyboard.

Can somone get a pic of this?

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
They have digital cameras at the store and macs with internet
access..... So basically anyone can go to the apple store and
post a pic. Think of how cool you would be if you did that... ;)

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
this is sorta on topic.

me and my brother usually go to the palisades mall apple store once in a while. we noticed that a big sign had a 12inch PB, only with IE in the dock instead of safari. it was there since november/december-ish. we didn't notice it was a 12PB until late march. it had silver keyboard, and it said "PowerBook G4"

now we both feel stupid:rolleyes:

my point is, this is probably an apple keyboard.

i wanna see some pictures of this!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by scem0
They have digital cameras at the store and macs with internet
access..... So basically anyone can go to the apple store and
post a pic. Think of how cool you would be if you did that... ;)
I was surprised at the freedom they give you in the stores. For example, no problem getting into iChat and talking to friends online. And no problem setting preferences in an application or saving files to disk. I asked an employee how they keep the systems running when we untrustworthy customers have such freedom. He said they reinitialize from scratch regularly (daily?). Maybe they netboot them. In any case, it's a lot nicer than the stores where you're stuck in a demo or an At Ease/Multiple Users environment and can't really "take the machine for a spin".

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Originally posted by From Win to Mac
Then it's not made by Apple. With the short length of our mouses, with absolutely need a USB plug on both sides.
Now say they were gonna "innovate" by giving the mouse a long cord, that would be dumb.

So the other possibility is Bluetooh. But i would still hope that they leave the USB ports, since i need them both ! And Macs only come with 2 on the back, and 1 is used for the keyboard.
why don't we get 4 or 5 like PC people !
I think that keeping the usb ports on the keyboard if they used bluetooth would be pointless...it would be sooooo slow that it wouldn't be worth attching a device to.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Keyboard Revision

One reader noted that a new Apple Store banner contains a side view of a revised Apple keyboard -- with a larger base, and no USB ports on the sides.

Per reports -- the new Keyboard will have two USB ports on either side of the keyboard cord, which still comes off the back of the keyboard.

Minor mouse revisions are expected as well.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
if it was bluetooth, there wouldn't be any usb ports on it because like jholzner said, it wouldn't be worth doing that. rediculously slow.

period.

jcontonio

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2002
Well damn, considering I can't find the keyboard or mouse anywhere on the Apple Store or the Hardware section of their website that's gotta mean something. I even searched on the Apple Store under Hardware and all that came up was an iMac and a Powermac. You can't buy the keyboard and mouse through the Apple Store?

Or is it because I just woke up and don't know what's going on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.