Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new television ad for the holidays, featuring the company's flagship iPhone 5s capturing and sharing holiday memories in the form of a video shared over Apple's AirPlay.

The song "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" plays in the background as the iPhone 5s is used to capture video of a family engaging in holiday activities like decorating Christmas cookies, participating in a snowball fight, and decorating a Christmas tree. Later in the commercial, the video footage is played back to the family over AirPlay. "Happy Holidays" is displayed at the end of the video.

Article Link: Apple Launches New Holiday-Themed 'Misunderstood' iPhone 5s Commercial

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
MY FAVORITE TIME OF THE YEAR.

In before the crowd--Merry Christmas everyone! :)

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
Great ad, I like it.

I do find it interesting, though, that the whole ad focused around Christmas (the song, the Christmas tree, etc.) but at the end they went the the more all-inclusive Happy Holidays.

Last edited:

tbrand7

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
New York
I like it. I love Apple's commercials lately. It shows how their products are truly enriching peoples lives. While all their competitors (Samsung, Amazon, Microsoft, etc) commercials have been about bashing Apple's products instead of focusing on their own. I'm glad Apple is above those childish games :apple:

kwiiboy

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
Wait a minute, is the guy in the very beginning using a Slate iPhone 5 and not a Space Grey one?!

phil83

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2006
Washington, DC
Just saw that on NBC in between The Voice. At first I thought it was a Subaru commercial then realized it was an Apple commercial. Almost made me a little teary eyed!

Dam you, marketing people!

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Great ad, I like it.

I do find it interesting, though, that the whole ad focused around Christmas (the song, the Christmas tree, etc.) but at the end they went the the "politically correct" Happy Holidays.

Maybe they did that to balance it put for both sides. I didn't know where the ad was headed but it turned out great :)

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I love this ad. Very heartwarming, very Apple-ish and very much capturing how real people interact with others with their iPhone, especially during the holidays. :)

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
It's really heartwarming to watch these "people" slash tv commercial stand-ins focusing on their iPhones instead of each other. Is this an inadvertent parody?

Pathetic. The Apple-led new world is loathsome. "It's just like life, i'dnt it?"

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
It's really heartwarming to watch these "people" slash tv commercial stand-ins focusing on their iPhones instead of each other. Is this an inadvertent parody?

Pathetic. The Apple-led new world is loathsome. "It's just like life, i'dnt it?"

If you have nothing good to say then......:p

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Saw this on the Voice tonight. Nice. Take note Microsoft.

----------

Great ad, I like it.

I do find it interesting, though, that the whole ad focused around Christmas (the song, the Christmas tree, etc.) but at the end they went the the "politically correct" Happy Holidays.

That's the United States for you. :rolleyes:

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
i like it. I love apple's commercials lately. It shows how their products are truly enriching peoples lives. While all their competitors (samsung, amazon, microsoft, etc) commercials have been about bashing apple's products instead of focusing on their own. I'm glad apple is above those childish games :apple:

♥♥♥♥♥

dandy1117

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Great ad, I like it.

I never understand why some in the "war on Christmas" crowd object to the "Happy Holidays" as anything more than an accurate description of the season. Even most Christian Americans celebrate multiple holiday during the season, including Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Eve and Day! Then, of course, the term Happy Holidays is more inclusive of the holidays celebrated by many other Americans during this holiday. "Happy Holidays" is not a demonstration of "politically correct" cowardice but, rather, is just a more accurate salutation.

Geez, happy holidays! :)

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
It's really heartwarming to watch these "people"… focusing on their iPhones instead of each other.

All of the times when people started whipping out their phones were times when they weren't interacting with each other anyway, just sort of lazing around.

There were plenty of times in the ad when not only did people interact with one another (e.g. the sledding scene, etc.), but did so with the aid of technology (e.g. the AirPlay'd iPhone home movie).

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Congratulations! They actually played a CHRISTMAS song, with the lyrics clearly heard. "Have yourself a merry little Christmas".

To APPLE: We wish you a Merry Christmas, we wish you a Merry Christmas, we wish you a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!….. Good tidings we bring…..

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
I never understand why some in the "war on Christmas" crowd object to the "Happy Holidays" as anything more than an accurate description of the season.
Did I come off as objecting to "Happy Holidays"? If so, I'm sorry, as that was not my intention.

I was just expressing my slight amusement at an ad quite clearly focusing almost exclusively on Christmas saying "Happy Holidays" at the end.
Geez, happy holidays! :)
Thanks, you too :)

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Congratulations! They actually played a CHRISTMAS song, with the lyrics clearly heard. "Have yourself a merry little Christmas".

To APPLE: We wish you a Merry Christmas, we wish you a Merry Christmas, we wish you a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!

Happy Holidays!

doasis23

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012

You obviously didnt understand the commercial. It appears that the teen is ignoring the family the entire time playing on his phone. In actuality he is recording a video for his family to show how much he cares about them. Stop being so cynical.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
You obviously didnt understand the commercial. It appears that the teen is ignoring the family the entire time playing on his phone. In actuality he is recording a video for his family to show how much he cares about them. Stop being so cynical.
That's what I thought, too. If the kid wasn't paying attention, no way he could have put this together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.