Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its Clips video app with a promised "Selfie Scenes" feature that's designed to use the front-facing TrueDepth camera on the iPhone X to immerse users in 360-degree animated landscapes.

Available Selfie Scenes transport users to "bustling cities, serene landscapes, abstract paintings" and, through a Disney partnership, the Millennium Falcon and Mega-Destroyer from the upcoming film "Star Wars: The Last Jedi." There are a total of 10 Apple-designed scenes along with two Star Wars scenes, all of which offer an immersive 360-degree experience.

appleclipsapp.jpg
"Clips users love how quick and easy it is to create amazing videos on iPhone or iPad," said Susan Prescott, Apple's vice president of Apps Product Marketing. "And we're making it even more fun with Selfie Scenes. By harnessing the incredible new TrueDepth camera system on iPhone X, users can now record selfies against a variety of fun and whimsical backdrops with just a tap."
Clips now features a redesigned interface that Apple says puts frequently used controls "easily within reach." There's a new Effects browser for choosing filters, labels, stickers, and emoji, and labeled buttons make it easier to add Live Titles, change filters, and edit clips. All Clips are also now stored in iCloud and can be accessed across multiple devices.

clipsscenes2.jpg

Along with new Selfie Scenes and a redesigned interface, the updated version of the app adds new effects for turning a photo or a video into an oil painting, a watercolor, or a pencil sketch, all effects that can be applied in real time while recording.

There's also more Disney content in the form of full-screen posters featuring Mickey and Minnie Mouse and an array of animated Star Wars stickers. There are additional Apple-designed stickers and 21 new soundtracks from indie artists that can be applied to videos created with the app.

clipsstickers.jpg

For those unfamiliar with Clips, it's a video editing app that was released earlier this year. It's designed to let users combine several video clips, images, and photos with voice-based titles, music, filters, and graphics to create enhanced videos that can be shared on social media sites.

Clips can be downloaded from the App Store for free. Selfie Scenes are limited to the iPhone X, and style transfer effects are available on the iPhone 7 and later and the 2017 iPad Pro models. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Launches New Version of Clips With 360-Degree Selfie Scenes

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Hopefully there are more updates coming today for the remaining Apple apps that still aren’t updated for the iPhone X.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I’m a little old to care about these, but the kids are gonna love it :)

It’s like having your own green screen, pretty cool. (Back in the day it was a blue screen, and looked so fake, with really hard, obvious edges.)

stevenisHAUNTED

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
Texas
Just tried it out. It's honestly pretty cool! I'd love for them to add some Pokémon or Game of Thrones dragons/white walker stuff. Seeing BB-8 run around in the Millenium Falcon was neat.

Reactions: ErikGrim

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Clips seems pretty cool.
It was crashing for me but after a reboot of the phone seemed to be stable.

tfigs

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2012
Is taking forever to update. I may have to delete it and reinstall. Anyone else having this problem?

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks that the cartoon/drawing effect in those pictures is just... really bad?

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Apple seems too focused on gimmicks instead of doing something useful with all this computational power in your pocket.

Take a selfie in front of a background! Yippee. :rolleyes:

But maybe I am overestimating the average consumer again.

You can't say "computational power" and "average consumer" in the same sentence. The two are mutually exclusive.

Reactions: Gameboy70 and hagar

Aaron H.

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
When I try scenes it just shows a zoomed in background of each scene and nothing moves. Am I missing a function/toggle?
I am having the same issue on my X and can't find anything in permissions, etc., to address it. I am using the 11.1.1 update that just came out if that makes a difference.

johncarync

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Cary, NC
Wow! I've been playing with this for a while and got a "your iPhone is getting hot" warning. It is quite a processor hog. Note that you can sample a still scene. If you want to capture a video of yourself, you have to download the scene at which point it will be animated.

sleepyking

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
I am having the same issue on my X and can't find anything in permissions, etc., to address it. I am using the 11.1.1 update that just came out if that makes a difference.

Me too. I tried it with 11.1 and 11.1.1 and same problem. Tried deleting reinstalling, hard reset, still doesn’t work.

Will have to try restoring my phone later to see if that works

Reactions: Aaron H.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Wow! I've been playing with this for a while and got a "your iPhone is getting hot" warning. It is quite a processor hog. Note that you can sample a still scene. If you want to capture a video of yourself, you have to download the scene at which point it will be animated.
I’ve tried that too. Still doesn’t animate for me. Weird.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
I have been playing with it for a while. It looks pretty cool! I agree with the post above that it's very processor hungry! It drains the battery pretty fast as well.

Scooz

Suspended
Apr 9, 2012
The feature is stuck on our iPhone X here. Also, it seems that the compass/magnetometer crashes (due to wrong init from the Clips app, or is there something wrong with a bunch of the Xs‘ magnetometers?) and only shows a glued needle pointing north.

Even a reboot does not revive the compass, though toggling the geographic north switch in compass settings seems to make it work again. Still doens‘t work for Clips Scenes after that, though.

Fix it, Apple, I need to send an important holo message to our allies!!:eek::cool:

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Weird how this is working just fine on some people's iPhone Xs, but not properly or not at all on others.

I gave Clips permission to use my location while using the app, I wonder if declining that is causing problems for some?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.