Apple LCD Specs?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacWhispers, a relatively new rumors site, has compiled information on Apple's upcoming LCD's, which is claimed to released "within no more than 45-days".

The notes agree with previous rumors, pegging the 20.1" at $1799, dropping the 23" to $2999 and the 17" to $799.

Updated casings/enclosures are also detailed.

suzerain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2000
Beijing, China
cool, i guess...

...but personally, i can't ever buy a monitor with a proprietary connector. yeah, i know there are adaptors, but they ain't cheap.

still, the apple displays are decent.

i just wish they'd use industry standard connectors for them.

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
I guess all those rumour sites coming up with the same stuff has to mean that this is true, right ?

Still I think the Formac 2010 will still be better value (if all this is true).

NicoMan

pretentious

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2002
"Reality"
Macwispers?....so exactly how many Mac-rumors sites do have now? This is geting crazy, I mean is it now mandatory that you get a mac, not only do have to put your Apple sticker on your car that you have to now have to start up your own rumors website?

How many do we have now:
Macrumors.com...of course
Macosrumors.com
Spymac.com
Thinksecret.com
Looprumors.com
MacosXrumors.com
RumorTracker.com
Macwispers.com....Am I missing anybody???

So... uh...how many more rumors sites do we need?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
heh... yes... a lot of rumor sites... many of them are not so reliable.

MacWhispers actually, I believe, has 'real' sources... from what I can tell... based on messageboard postings, and it seems they may be the source of MOSR's info anyhow... which is why I post it here.

As for the others... despite the recent surge of rumors sites... there haven't been any new ones that actually seem to be able to provide any surprising new (and accurate) info... so far it's been not very exciting.

arn

krafix

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2002
Montreal, Canada
I was hoping for a 17" less than 700$. Frankly, it's still a bit expensive, unless the design, quality, warranty and features are outstanding. My excellent LG CRT was FREE with my G4. Since I was looking for a LCD, I took this deal in hope Apple would come up with a model around 700$ shortly, but that was a year ago! Still can't afford an LCD and for working one at work, I really want to wait for an Apple-branded one. Anybody knows if Apple really sells that much displays at theses price points now that their CRT line is defunct?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by krafix
I was hoping for a 17" less than 700$. Frankly, it's still a bit expensive, unless the design, quality, warranty and features are outstanding. My excellent LG CRT was FREE with my G4. Since I was looking for a LCD, I took this deal in hope Apple would come up with a model around 700$ shortly, but that was a year ago! Still can't afford an LCD and for working one at work, I really want to wait for an Apple-branded one. Anybody knows if Apple really sells that much displays at theses price points now that their CRT line is defunct?

almost every powermac i sell someone buys a studio or cinema display. especially when the rebates are going on.

iJon

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
That pricing sucks

If I get a low end Power Mac at $1700 and a low end monitor for $800, that's $2500 for a low end Apple system and $3300 for a mid line. That sucks. The next high end iMac better be something to brag about or I might be the next switcher...to the dark side :::shiver:::

Postal

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2002
Ottawa, ON, Canada
No one ever obligates you to get an Apple display... there are two main reasons why people get them these days: first, they want to retain the feel that they're looking at an Apple product (which is harder when you've got a PowerMac tower which is probably on or near the floor); second, they want to only connect a single cable to get the display running.

If none of those are important enough to you, then by all means get a less-expensive 3rd-party display. Every PowerMac you can get now (and with at least the update previous to this) has a DVI connector and DVI-to-VGA adapter as well as the ADC connector, so you're not really limited.

cbrantly

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
I can't stand some people

Don't be an idiot...the low end Powermac and the 17" studio display is NOT a low end Apple system. If you want a cheap computer, buy an eMac...or better yet a G3 iMac.

And don't try to say that the G4 iMac isn't powerful enough for you. If you are complaining about spending $2500 for a system then you don't really need anything more than an iMac.

pixel count

Apple compares the 17" lcd's real estate to the same as a 21" CRT monitor. Hooey!! The 17" is stuck with 1280 x 1024, which is fine for a 17" CRT with 16" viewable, but I think the 17" LCD screens need to step of to the density of the 23" Cinema HD display. 1600 x 1200 is what my 21" Apple CRT runs and is the next standard res (which I think is too tight for a 17" lcd), but we need something a step up from 1280 x 1024, maybe a 1440 x 1152?

Nice and tight baby... nice and tight...

tcolling

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2001
iJon?

Originally posted by iJon

almost every powermac i sell someone buys a studio or cinema display. especially when the rebates are going on.

iJon

is an iJon and Apple branded toilet? Is it USB or Firewire? Does it have an ADC?

nero007

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2002
Re: That pricing sucks

Originally posted by Fender2112
If I get a low end Power Mac at $1700 and a low end monitor for $800, that's $2500 for a low end Apple system and $3300 for a mid line. That sucks. The next high end iMac better be something to brag about or I might be the next switcher...to the dark side :::shiver:::

Oh well. :rolleyes:

krafix

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2002
Montreal, Canada
Many of you make interesting points. Although I would hate to have the display stuck on the machine as for the iMac, it's true many of us don't really need a more powerful one than that. As for the resolution of the standalone 17", it really could offer a higher one for the actual price. Let's hope it will come to that. But then again, if one wants to really get a nice system that will last a while, with superdrive and LCD, it ain't cheap from Apple. I am not sure they trully get a grip on the fact that if displays were reasonnably priced, more of us, home office professionals for example, would go for the PowerMac line with an LCD. Still, don't yall think it's weird to come up with a revamped display line but with the same PowerMacs?

wallinbl

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2003
Originally posted by Postal
No one ever obligates you to get an Apple display... there are two main reasons why people get them these days: first, they want to retain the feel that they're looking at an Apple product (which is harder when you've got a PowerMac tower which is probably on or near the floor); second, they want to only connect a single cable to get the display running.

I think there is a third option: they enjoy wasting money.

A single cable is a weak excuse to pay way too much for a monitor. The prices are just plain ludicrous. $3000? Just buy one for $1000 and give me your extra $2000. I'll do something useful with it.

unsane1

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2003
Apple, please don't be stupid.

I just bought a GORGEOUS 20.1" LCD from Dell that I use on my MDG4 for $850, why on earth would apple think that they can get away with $1800 for the same screen?

I understand the 22" and 23" LCDs, they are not as prevalent, but Apple has to understand that when there is no product differentiation that they HAVE to compete on price to some level. I could have bought 2 LCDs for what they want to charge, oh wait, I did.

porovaara

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2002
sf
Apple Displays.

Apple better up the refresh rates on their monitors or they will still pale in comparison to any of the *cheaper* higher end LCD screens that are already out there. I really don't understand how people can choose an Apple screen over a Formac or equivelant display from Nec/Sharp when the latter two are not only cheaper but have better clarity and refresh times.

Is it just simple ignorance of the LCD market? Or does the style matter that much?

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Re: Apple, please don't be stupid.

Originally posted by unsane1
I just bought a GORGEOUS 20.1" LCD from Dell that I use on my MDG4 for $850, why on earth would apple think that they can get away with $1800 for the same screen?

I understand the 22" and 23" LCDs, they are not as prevalent, but Apple has to understand that when there is no product differentiation that they HAVE to compete on price to some level. I could have bought 2 LCDs for what they want to charge, oh wait, I did.

I've seen Dell's monitors and they aren't anything to write home about, which is why that are cheap. IF you are going to compare monitors to Apple, use Formac.

robguz

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2002
Overpriced, what a shocker!

$800 for a 17" LCD? Not a bad deal a year ago. But with it's low and outdated brightness level, it should be $399 tops. Maybe a 19" for $800 would be nice, but still, nothing too amazing. I guess when I finally buy and LCD it won't be and Apple. I could save the money and buy the new Nvidia card or ATI 9700 when it comes out and still come out ahead pricewise.

unsane1

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2003
I call bulls**t

I'm going to have to call you on that one. They are easily the best 20.1" on the market right now. Perhaps there are better displays coming, but compared to any LCDs out there they are top notch.

I would imagine that currently there are only really 2 or 3 manufacturers of LCD screens anyhow, so most of them are going to be the same.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Re: I can't stand some people

Originally posted by cbrantly
Don't be an idiot...the low end Powermac and the 17" studio display is NOT a low end Apple system. If you want a cheap computer, buy an eMac...or better yet a G3 iMac.

And don't try to say that the G4 iMac isn't powerful enough for you. If you are complaining about spending $2500 for a system then you don't really need anything more than an iMac.

I didn't say I had to have an inexpensive computer and didn't say the iMac wasn't powerful enough. My gripe, although based on speculation, is that $800 for the low end monitor is a bit steep. My perfered system, when I upgrade, is the middle line Power Mac with a 17" monitor. That's $3300. I've never been a fan of the All-in-One design. Although the 17" iMac design does get my attention. I perfer the expandablity of the tower. And this is my delima, is the expandabilty worth an extra $1300. The short term answer is no. But when spending this kind os money, I think about the long term (5-6 years in computer time).

iSmell

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2002
Re: I call bulls**t

Originally posted by unsane1

I would imagine that currently there are only really 2 or 3 manufacturers of LCD screens anyhow, so most of them are going to be the same.

It's true that a lot of screens use the same lcd panel, but the over all quality of the display can be greatly effected by the backlight, the electronics, additional features and convenience of the enclosure, so if you assume they're all going to be the same, you might end up with a crappy monitor.

nicmac

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2003
NY
Four Way Adjustment. PLEASE!

I hope they are adjustable or at least have the option to be attached to a third party arm.
Am I the only one who is tired of what amounts to a very small degree of verticle adjustment?

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Does a 20.1" screen imply that there might actually be a 20.1" iMac and not a 19" iMac? If not, then we'll have 17, 19, 20.1, 22, & 23.

DAMN !!! I wanted an 18" iBook w/dual-processors.

waterbouy

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2003
Chicargo, IL USA
is it worth the expense?

--- And this is my delima, is the expandabilty worth an extra $1300. The short term answer is no. But when spending this kind os money, I think about the long term (5-6 years in computer time). ----

IMHO - If you are thinking 5-6 years for the purchase, a $1300 difference is very little money for a relatively long period of satisfaction with a more flexible system.

Another thing to think about - how much do you think you will really upgrade???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.