Apple Leaks Info - sold 100,000s of Ipads.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iOrlando, Mar 18, 2010.

1. iOrlando macrumors 68000

we've seen this before. "sources" aka Steve haha or one of his "friends"

By Yukari Iwatani Kane and Sam Schechner

Of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

Apple Inc. (AAPL) is still working to secure content for the iPad with just weeks to go before the tablet computer's release, said people familiar with the matter, as the company tempers some of its initial ambitions for the much-hyped device.

Since the iPad became available for pre-order last Friday, Apple has sold hundreds of thousands of the device, say people familiar with the matter. One of these people said Apple could sell more iPads in its first three months than it sold iPhones in the three months after the smart phone's debut.

Yet the company is still negotiating with media companies for a price cut on TV shows that people can download onto the device, said people familiar with the matter. Apple also hoped to work closely with newspaper, magazines and textbook publishers on new ways to digitally present print content on the iPad, but has for now put the effort on backburner in favor of focusing on other content, said one of those people.

Apple is racing to complete some discussions with potential content partners before the iPad is scheduled to ship on April 3, said people familiar with the matter. But nailing down the content has proven difficult, as some potential collaborators weigh the advantages of working with Apple against the potential threats to their current sources of revenue, these people add.

An Apple spokeswoman declined to comment.

The last-minute discussions show the complexities that Apple and Chief Executive Steve Jobs are facing in creating a networked multimedia device, which has pushed the company to pare back some of its initial intentions for the iPad's release.

2. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I ordered a 32 GB wifi iPad within about 15 minutes of the time they were first available for pre-order. Changed my mind today and placed another order for a 16 GB one. (Since I'm probably going to get the 3G version when it becomes available and hand the wifi one down to my wife or someone else.)

The order numbers differed by about 261,000. FWIW, I'm guessing that's a pretty good estimate of how many total pre-orders they've taken on-line so far.