Apple LED Cinema Display or Panasonic TC-P42S1 42" Viera S1 Series Plasma?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Aayush, Jul 10, 2009.

?

Which display should I go for?

1. Apple LED Cinema Display

60.0%
  2. Panasonic TC-P42S1 42" Viera S1 Series Plasma

10.0%
  3. Some other LCD monitor (mentioned below)

20.0%
  4. Some other LCD or Plasma television screen (mentioned below)

10.0%
  1. Aayush macrumors newbie

Aayush

Hello.

I’m thinking of buying a large display to complement my (unibody) MacBook and Mac Mini setup. Both my Macs have the newer Mini DisplayPort connectors and I’ll keep switching the display between them both routinely.

Now, I know the basics—the Cinema Display is better for regular computing activities and the television is better for watching movies. My conundrum is that my daily activities are almost evenly split between the two and I love watching 1080p high definition movies just as much as I would love writing, coding, or browsing the Internet on a large screen.

Both products cost about $900 and while the Cinema Display sports just a 24-inch screen, the plasma panel is of 42 inches. However, the resolution of both displays is almost similar (the only difference being that whereas the Cinema Display has a 16:10 aspect ratio, the Panasonic has 16:9).

On the one hand, I can see there are several advantages of going with the Cinema Display: the built-in MagSafe connector, the sharper resolution which makes it better for day-to-day computer usage, the Apple design, Mini DisplayPort connector, and the smaller size (which might be better for the smallish room I have to live in for the next three years in my hostel).

But on the other, I’m just drooling over being able to hook a giant 42-inch plasma screen to my Mac Mini and watching gorgeous 1080p high definition movies on it (I have a Drobo with 6TB of storage connected up to my Mac Mini via FireWire 800).

I’m highly confused and a little bit of help would go a long way. Thanks.

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

It really depends on what you will primarily be doing with it.

3. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Skip the ACD. Get another monitor like the HP LP2475w or the dell 2408wfp.

4. aicul macrumors 6502a

You may notice that "similar resolution" on screens different sizes, implies that the pixels on the larger screen may become visible. So the 42inch plasma may be less adapted to wrk use.

5. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I'd get the TV. The TV isn't that great for computer usage, but if you're just going to be watching video content on it then I would get the TV over the Cinema Display.

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Get a TV if you only watch movies on the Mac Mini. Any other use would better justify an LED ACD.

7. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

As most have mentioned - it all depends on what you're going to be using the monitor for. I'm guessing it isn't for design/photography - since you wouldn't be asking that question if that was the case. ;)

If I were you I would either pick an LCD TV or pick a lesser expensive monitor. You're barking up the wrong tree to use a plasma display as a monitor.

You would be better off if you're going the TV route with something like this: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11473111&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79|2341&N=4001374&Mo=59&pos=1&No=24&ViewAll=60&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=2341&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC3-Cat79&topnav=

8. Aayush thread starter macrumors newbie

Aayush

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I’m leaning towards the monitor now.

One more question: Can I hook up two displays to either my Mac Mini or my MacBook? If yes, would it be wiser to buy a couple of Dell G2410 24 inch Wide Green Flat Panel Monitors (which CNET opines is the best 24-inch monitor on the market right now) and configure a dual-display setup? Isn’t the bezel where the two monitors join going to be a serious issue when trying to watch a movie stretched across both displays?

If it is indeed possible to have a dual-display setup with a Mac Mini and/or a MacBook and it is a valid alternative to buying just the Apple LED Cinema Display, can you suggest me what the best displays for the job would be? My budged is strictly limited to $900.

9. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Dual monitors is possible with the 09 Mac Mini, but not the Macbook unless you purchase a device that stretches 1 large screen to the two monitors (ala Matrox Dual Head).

I would recommend you check out the 2209wa. I have two of them and can't say enough (plus I got them for $220 shipped).

Also when you watch a movie, you would just watch it off one monitor. There isn't a 16:20 format movie. So you could just shut one off or surf the web.

10. Aayush thread starter macrumors newbie

Aayush

After reading the posts in this thread, I decided to go with an in-between solution—a 30-inch display. After reading up on several reviews, I think I’ll go with the Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP monitor.

But Apple’s Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter costs $100. A hundred bucks for what is essentially just a piece of wire! And it doesn’t even work properly, if the hundreds of reviews all over the Internet are to be believed. Unbelievable!

Is there a similar adapter from some other company that can do the job well and at a much cheaper price?