Apple == libral culture? Owning Apple product == Imposing political view on customer?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by wonderbread57, Feb 4, 2009.

1. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Nope. Owning an Apple product doesn't make a political statement any more than owning a Sony TV does.

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Not a political one, a personal one. I am personally better than Windows users :eek: J/K :D

4. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

What are you talking about?

aside from Gore being on the board of directors, there is no political message in personal computing

5. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

6. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Political views, no, corporate culture, most likely.

7. wonderbread57 thread starter macrumors 6502

heh. What of Apple's public opposition to anti-gay marriage legislation. Few companies go out of their way to voice an opinion on the topic. Even Obama© and the rest of the Democratic majority do not support gay marriage. Apple's position certainly seems very liberal leaning. Mmm?

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Apple's position? So, are these official press releases from PR?

No. It's Steve Jobs' opinion, nothing more.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Yeah, equal human rights is pretty modern/liberal!

Besides, on the press release where Apple stated that they supported gay marriage Apple stated that this wasn't a political issue, it was a civil rights issue. So, therefore it's not political they're just looking for equal human rights.

10. wonderbread57 thread starter macrumors 6502

On the contrary, it was a press release and it stated that "Apple" is opposing anti-gay marriage legislation.
    http://www.apple.com/startpage/index20080219b.html

"October 24, 2008
    No on Prop 8

Apple is publicly opposing Proposition 8 and making a donation of $100,000 to the No on 8 campaign. Apple was among the first California companies to offer equal rights and benefits to our employees’ same-sex partners, and we strongly believe that a person’s fundamental rights — including the right to marry — should not be affected by their sexual orientation. Apple views this as a civil rights issue, rather than just a political issue, and is therefore speaking out publicly against Proposition 8. "​

Oh, the Apple gods have spoken and told us how to think. Let us fall in yeah? Tell politicians that gay marriage isn't a political issue.

On that note I think we can conclude Apple == libral == true. This presents some potential imposition on it's customers Yes? Of course, some customers welcome this as they advocate Apple's position.

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Also If A is equal to B and B is equal to C then A is equal to C. Apple = true ? Liberal = true ? The eff are you even talking about?

Sure Apple might have sort of a liberal aura, but I'd attribute that to them being a california based computer company... A lot of software developers, engineers, etc are pretty liberal and it's California...

12. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

And apple having the balls to publicly denounce abject bigotry makes them pretty much the only big business I can think of that I hold in a high regard. Glad I have a bit of AAPL stock.

13. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

I went to a movie at a Cinemark theatre a few years back. Does that make me conservative? Do people think of me as a conservative? No.

I remember reading something somewhere that George W. Bush uses a Mac.

I think Apple is still tied to, perhaps, arts. And people may tend to think of artists as being liberal. But I'm not sure of anything I've said in the past paragraph. Ha ha.

14. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

So what does the following picture imply about my political beliefs? ;)

[​IMG]

Yep - absolutely nothing. The MacBook Pro is just a MacBook Pro, and the HK is merely an HK. The picture is also a shoutout to Lord Blackadder. ;)

15. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I like apple because they design nice products. I received my aluminum keyboard today, its fantastic. Ive never seen one like it, yet its the most simplest keyboards ive owned.

17. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

18. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

19. wonderbread57 thread starter macrumors 6502

That was BEFORE Apple's Prop 8 announcement. I think it's safe to say Rush *was* an Apple fan.

What if Apple publicly opposed anti-abortion legislation? Let's say half of America advocates anti-abortion legislation. This puts Apple at odds with half of America and their consumer base. Owning an Apple product still not suggestive to onlookers?

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I once bought something at walmart. Does that make me a bible thumping, redneck? Hardly.

Are you willing to castigate walmart for its politics? What about all the other companies out there that donate time, money or lobby for liberal or conservative causes?

There's no such thing as a neutral corporation. Apple has taken the lead in civil rights issues because it's good for their employees and thus good for their business.

21. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Does Apple openly oppose anti-abortion legislation? Do pigs fly? Opposing abortion and being on the forefront of civil rights are two different things. Would you say that Google, Microsoft and many other tech companies are "libral" for supporting benefits for same sex couples and opposing discriminative legislation?

22. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Hmm... I have noticed a majority of Mac users to be liberals.
    Maybe I'm wrong, my opinion though.
    I will be a Mac user, and I'm almost as liberal as it gets.

23. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

No. It doesn't impose anything. At the end of the day it's a piece of technology. It's just a tool, albeit a cool one.

With that said, I'd wager that if you went into London or Parisian coffee shop and surveyed 100 people with an Apple laptops, you'd find 70 or more would say they are anything other than a 'conservative'.

You do get all types buying Mac's though.

24. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

I swear, I sat in front of my iMac, and I was killing babies and assaulting traditional family values within minutes.

For God's sake, what's with this thread?

25. remmy macrumors 6502a

So you at looking at Apple just because you think they are liberal and this is bad? But it would be okay if say they were conservative?