Apple logo appearing rotated during boot (monitor in portrait mode)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by samiznaetekto, Jan 1, 2010.

1. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

I've set my monitor (Dell S2409W) to portrait mode by setting it to 270 degree rotation in System Preferences/Display, and everything is fine but during boot the gray screen with Apple logo is shown in landscape orientation (so the apple "bite" is pointing to the top) and also not filling the whole screen (i.e. the gray screen is properly aspected at 9:16 as if to fill the screen in portrait mode but the whole thing is rotated 90 degrees).

Is there a way to fix this annoying problem?

I'm using Mac mini with OS X Server Snow Leopard.

Attached Files:

2. iVoid macrumors 65816

The gray screen and apple are pretty low level displays before the kernal and display drivers are loaded, so it's not doing the rotation at that point and probably won't beable to.

About the only thing I can recommend is to replace the Apple logo with a new version pre-rotated to the right 90 degrees to fool it into displaying right.

I'm not sure what utilities allow this, but I believe I've seen them out there. Google search for something like "Mac boot image replacement".

3. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

I thought the same - that during the boot the low level driver does not yet know about display preferences.

However, it *does* change the aspect ratio to 9:16 as you can see in the attachment.

I searched the forum and the web and was surprised to find nothing about this issue.

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I run my monitors in portrait mode and I honestly do not see this as a problem or issue or annoyance or whatever you want to call it. As the OS boots it realigns itself to my settings, the login screen comes up properly in portrait mode. Really - how long is that up on the screen and does it in any way interfere with your work? I think it's really a non-issue....oh yeah!

5. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

That alone would be a minor nuisance, indeed (although such a miss is surprising for perfection-obsessed Apple). But if, for example, I need to boot from a DVD or another drive, the UI becomes unusable as not only the image is rotated as you can see below, but the mouse moves as if the system did recognize the portrait mode but did not actually rotate the image - i.e. to move cursor up and down I have to move the mouse left and right. If monitor is not mounted on a pivot, that's a big issue.

So the OS *does* paint the window in portrait aspect ratio and *does* operate mouse accordingly, just does not send the properly rotated video signal to display. Yikes!

I wonder if this happens only on certain configurations (mini Server) or on all Macs. Anybody?

Attached Files: