Apple looks to force .Mac down our throats in 2006

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
lexfuzo said:
Of course .mac is best but it seems to work without.
Yeah, I saw that it makes mention that .Mac works the best. I was going to bring up the same point. The average consumer might want to use .Mac for 1 click exporting but advanced users more than likely have their own hosting and server. Of course they wouldn't need .Mac.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I'm personally sick to death hearing about .Mac this and .Mac that.

All this .Mac integration BS can go to hell. :mad:

Here's to the Crazy Ones

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Lacero said:
I'm personally sick to death hearing about .Mac this and .Mac that.

All this .Mac integration BS can go to hell. :mad:
Well, who pissed in your cereal this morning? .Mac is a wonderful solution to a maddening world of complexity. We've barely been able to realize the potential of it.

People without can't comprehend what they are missing.

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It can be hard to swallow the price of .Mac if you don't use it. The price is even higher for those of us outside the US.

The beauty of the service, though, which many people fail to realize is that a single yearly payment for the service beats nickle-n-diming for everything it offers that one might use. The individual components of the service would _never_ stand on their own (for long).

We're getting sufficient storage for our needs, tight integration into the OS and applications, and simplicity that shines brighter than anything I've seen on any platform.

It's not everything to everybody, though, and Apple will continue to improve it. They want to deliver what people want.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
coolfactor said:
Well, who pissed in your cereal this morning? .Mac is a wonderful solution to a maddening world of complexity. We've barely been able to realize the potential of it.

Agreed. Thats one of Apple's real strengths

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I'm disappointed Apple didn't reduce the price or add any new features ( that didn't require iLife 6 ).

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
Dont' have .Mac

Never had iDisk. Don't use iLife. Don't use iWork. (I still have AppleWorks though).

Can I safely assume this discussion doesn't pertain to me and bypass it?

wtmcgee

macrumors regular
May 21, 2003
Orlando
ahunter3 said:
Dont' have .Mac

Never had iDisk. Don't use iLife. Don't use iWork. (I still have AppleWorks though).

Can I safely assume this discussion doesn't pertain to me and bypass it?
Too late :rolleyes:

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
.Mac is for people like myself. I have no interest in messing around with creating a webpage. However, I want to post pics and videos of our baby for our families back home. In addition, I can now easily create a blog. I want to spend 5 minutes creating it, and send it with one click.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Did anyone else notice that you can now access your iDisk via a webpage. I don't think that was possible before but it sure is a nice touch.

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
I'd be very interested to know how flexible iWeb's templates are. I've already got a webpage with a painstakingly produced template, but I would love to use iWeb to manage content inside that template.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
coolfactor said:
Really? I used the trial for what it was worth, but I was not impressed enough to buy the full package -- especially because of the price, and because it, thanks to lacking some functionality, whould have to come in addition to what I already have. THAT gets rather expensive.

I'm sure .Mac is All Kinds of Great for people who like it, but it wish they allowed their apps to use third party servers too, not tie it .Mac. I have a server that support DAV. Why can't I use for sync or backup?

Bleh.

Applespider

macrumors G4
dubbz said:
and because it, thanks to lacking some functionality, whould have to come in addition to what I already have. THAT gets rather expensive.
I think that's the key point here. If you already have a website that you host and pay for elsewhere, then .mac probably isn't necessary for you. If you don't, then the cost seems more reasonable since otherwise you're not going to get that content onto the web without jumping through hoops.

While most of us here are relatively comfortable with jumping through FTP hoops, creating CSS sheets and designing our sites, there are a heck of a lot of people who aren't. When I ran a site for a specific interest, then I designed it myself and didn't bother with .mac. Now I don't run that site but I still want to share some of my pictures. Now .mac seems very useful. I get good looking websites but don't have to put out much (read any) effort to get them there.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Stop complaining people. Apple is well within boundaries charging $99 for .Mac based on the increasing functionality they keep delivering.

Look at it this way, for $178 a year, you get a full suite of applications and .Mac. Less than 50 cents per day, get over it.

MRU

Suspended
Aug 23, 2005
Other
i've had .mac for ages now and yes it seems expensive $99 compared to freebee email accounts everywhere else.... To really utilise everything your .mac account can do you need broadband..

Applespider

macrumors G4
MacRumorUser said:
i've had .mac for ages now and yes it seems expensive $99 compared to freebee email accounts everywhere else.... To really utilise everything your .mac account can do you need broadband..
Most definitely, broadband is a must to get the full benefit of it. It will get better still when we have faster upload speeds.

But .Mac shouldn't be compared to freebie email accounts since the .mac email address is a tiny part of the whole offering. Just as it can't really be compared to photobox or flickr since they don't offer the whole kit and caboodle either.