Apple Mac OS X 10.4.1 for Intel hits piracy sites

Raiden

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2002
Its interesting, but its too much of a conspiracy.

It is probably more of a "listen, we know that the bittorrenters will have this within a few hours...but maybe that isnt such a bad thing? It will let all the techno-geeks (the only ones who would d/l OSX for intel) test and review for us, even before it comes out..."

I seriously dought Steve Jobs was saying "Listen, we will leak it in t-minus 2.235 hours and then by 1300 hours the world will know how awesome OSX is and the world will be mine MWHAHAHA".

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
It would be the next big thing if someone could. It hasnt been posted on Neowin.net yet. And as far as I can tell at this stage none of the other main news organisations have picked up on the story yet.....

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
Tried to locate it for a while but had no luck. I have an old PC with linux that I would sacrifice for the mactel OS ... even if it is a developers release.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The real question, more than whether it's been pirated (which it will eventually anyway), but whether it's true that Apple did nothing to make that harder!

They easily could have made it difficult to steal, and they're not so stupid as to never have thought about piracy in five years.

Intentionally allowed or not, it can't much hurt Apple. Pirates were never a desirable market, and pirated OS X is never going to become a mainstream computing option. It's neither legal nor supported--nor particularly easy to obtain and install I imagine, requiring specific hardware to even work right.

And future versions may well have more protection than this.

I also wonder if Software Update is enabled in this? If not, and devs must go to a secure site and download future updates, then this is a bit of a dead end. A geek toy, but not a useful product in the long term.

Then again, iLife x86 was suppsedly stolen with it, and that bundle could stay useful for a LONG time.

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
I'm glad that we've taken to posting speculative and essentially meaningless blog entries on MacBytes.

Oh wait, I forgot to go type in my journal for today and submit it to a news posting site...brb.

balconycollapse

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2003
Ames, IA
It will be a storm...

If it is that easy everybody and his sister will be installing OS X on Intel boxes. Especially the Slashdot community. You know how this stuff works. It is small at first and before you know it everyone has the hamster dance. I could see it being on purpose. Release on a Friday, get it to spread over the weekend. Early in the week news orgs pickup on it, and before you know it next weekend the kid next door will be installing OSX on his Dads crippled Dell so he can play with Garageband. God forbid Apple would want more people using their software. Thats the whole point!

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
You couldn't install OS X on an Xbox. Ever wonder why you have to install a custom version of Linux on the Xbox? It's because if you make a wrong call to hardware, the box locks up. It's got to be a fully custom system.

Also, OS X86 probably only has the drives and such for a VERY specific set of hardware. Although it's using standard hardware, you would have to probably recreate the EXACT same hardware in order to boot OS X.

But people tend to stop thinking straight in situations like this. Oh, and if you think this is a good thing, it isn't. It'll kill hardware sales if it works.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Jalexster said:
Oh, and if you think this is a good thing, it isn't. It'll kill hardware sales if it works.
I don't think it's a good idea and your points re drivers etc are well taken.

I disagree that it will kill hardware sales. The only people who are going to be doing this are geeks to check out how it works. Most geeks aren't going to buy a Mac at the moment anyhow - unless the price discounts they're dreaming about come into effect. While I'll accept that we'll see Mac sales slow, I don't think they're going to fall off a cliff and create massive discounts. Mac sales grew at 40% last quarter, I wouldn't be surprised to see an increase in the current quarter (although smaller) since consumers especially don't care.

The major target audiences for Mac hardware purchases are

1 Media professionals who either update their hardware seldom enough that buying a PPC Mac isn't an issue since they've probably just moved from OS9 or update every couple of years because they need every byte of power they can lay their hands on - again, they'll buy now and in 2 years when the 2007 intel Powermacs come out. They are not going to risk their workflows by installing an unsupported version of Intel Tiger

2 Mainstream consumers who have no idea what a processor is and just want a computer that works. They generally only upgrade when their computer stops working (in terms of speed or complete failure!) While a minority of this group may have some idea of P2P networks/torrents for music/movies, it's a minority of that group who have the techno nous to create a dual booting system into OS X

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
iGary said:
*throws up in mouth a little bit*

I'm not handling this chip/OS "Transition" thing well at all.
Yeah I noticed that you took a break from posting for a while. Still thowing up?

BTW It is illegal to put a copy of this on your win. computer right?

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
balconycollapse said:
God forbid Apple would want more people using their software. Thats the whole point!
Apple wants more people BUYING their software. Everyone and their grandmother could USE it but if none of them pay for it than Apple goes bye bye.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
runninmac said:
Yeah I noticed that you took a break from posting for a while. Still thowing up?

BTW It is illegal to put a copy of this on your win. computer right?
Yeah, it's a combination of work and freelance deadlines, but also the Intel announcement. My significant other thinks I am nuts. I just can't get into the idea of our OS being x86, Intel chips and so on...

He told me "You're acting like someone died."

I guess I wanted PPC and OS X all to my/ourselves. I don't want everyone and their brother running OS X, but it looks like that is where we're headed.

Shoot me now.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
DavidLeblond said:
Apple wants more people BUYING their software. Everyone and their grandmother could USE it but if none of them pay for it than Apple goes bye bye.
How many grandmothers are going to be downloading Tiger from a torrent site? :eek:

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
with the intel announcement, everyone will have OSX

you know i like meeting people that use apple computers religiously and whatnot but when everyone starts to use them, i am going to get really upset.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
runninmac said:
Wouldn't it be sortof funny if it was just one big fake? Alot of people will be pissed off.

I think it is. It's too early for it to be showing up, I give it another month. It has only been reported, not confirmed. And I and many others have been looking with a fine tooth comb for hours and not one thing has shown up.

I say FAKE.