Apple Made a Mistake - Gave me a 2.93 instead of a 2.5!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jzj687, Apr 14, 2009.

1. jzj687 macrumors regular

Hi,

I had a huge problem with my Late '08 Unibody 15" MBP. I had it sent for repairs, and it was still defective (right when i picked it up and used it in front of them, the problems were still there... geniuses did nothing and told me they did...)

So, Apple apologized and offered to replace the computer. I said OK.

I went to pick it up and its been great. Only now have I realized that they replaced my 2.5ghz machine with a 2.93ghz!!!!!

2. manofmany macrumors newbie

3. johtaja macrumors newbie

Thats what we call customer service ;)

Amen to that !

4. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

maybe it wasn't a mistake and they just felt bad and liked you so much, they bumped up the specs :D

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Its not really surprising, the 2.53 model is probably no longer being stocked. However its surprising they didnt give you a 2.66...probably an error especially if its a busy store or they simply decided to rewards you

6. magamo macrumors 6502

7. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Excellent! You are quite the fortunate person. Perhaps, this a "pay back" for the issues which you had to deal with. Nonetheless, congrats and enjoy your new laptop. ;)

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's good. But I didn't think they stock 2.93 machines in the store.

9. Knolly macrumors 6502a

They may have done it on purpose. It really depends on how much you complained and how non-obnoxious you were while doing it.

10. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

You probably got a used 2.93GHz MacBook Pro that got swapped with a better and new 2.93GHz MacBook Pro by a fraudulent ex-user.

Make sure you got all your RAMS... Make sure the thing is not used.

What about the box? is it open? Are the speck information the same? What about the scanner bar? Did they scan to see the price?

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I think they rewarded you. Other people might say Apple doesn't stock 2.93 GHz laptops, not quite. They do have to stock on those when repairs come, so maybe he got a replacement unit. I am not sure, but thats how I see it considering if you take your Mac to an Apple Store for repairs you get it back next or same day.

Anyways, thats what we call the Apple Tax:D:cool:;)

12. jzj687 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the comments!

I checked the ram... Same 4 GB.

I checked the HD... Same 320GB @ 7200 rpm

Checked battery via Coconut Battery... Perfect!

Did a GeekBench Test... Scored a 3950 (I think thats good, right?)

Machine came in box, perfectly wrapped and sealed, not a blemish to be seen.

Oh and it took a while for the replacement to be ready since it was a BTO originally, and so they had to get another one shipped...Sorry about the miscommunication (was rushing and typing, not a good combo)

13. aleni macrumors 68020

14. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I bet there some other guy out there that got returned a 2.5 instead of his 2.93...:mad:

15. aleni macrumors 68020

LOL! Then it must be the unlucky apple geek i have ever known.

Throwing big money on the pricey 2.93ghz mbp, problems appeared within weeks, sent to apple and got it back with an assed down processor. I'll be pissed for a long long time..

16. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

are you going to tell them?

17. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

If you're debating whether to keep it or not, keep it. If it was a mistake, then it was their mistake and not yours. I think the apple "tax" people complain about just payed itself off a couple times over.

18. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i think it's about morals, not who's fault it is. i would want someone to tell me if i made a mistake - and especially over one involving a lot of money... so i guess for me i'd take it back and feel really great about myself in the process. haha

idk if it's just me but things like that just make you feel good

19. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I know it's about morals, but in the I think you'd end up feeling crappier that you don't have a top of the line MBP. I know morals bother some people, but if life gives you lemons, then make lemonade.

20. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i think you can still make lemons with a 2.5

21. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Damn... that sucks, hope you can get this new problem worked out! :p

22. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

sweet. Apple has a track-record of upgrading a customer's replacement machine if they've encountered numerous/ridiculous problems with the machine being replaced. Don't feel that you've done something dishonest, and don't lose any sleep over whether or not you're screwing Apple or somebody else out of there computer. That machine was purposely given to you. Apple knew what they were doing. Customer loyalty is huge. I bet your next machine will be an Apple now, right?