apple made bumpers so you wont lose signal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMaconApple, Jun 23, 2010.

1. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

hmmm pretty sure you heard the lost signal when touching the iphone 4 antenna band do you think apple knew about this? thats why they made bumpers so your hand wont affect the signal..not sure but i assume we have some sort of electricity on are hands like static and that could affect the signal..well no one has bumpers yet not that i know off but i assume that its made out of some sort of rubber and rubber does not conduct electricity (insulator )

ipad got full on protectors but iphone 4 seem to just have a bumper...

:confused: you think apple knew?:confused:

2. dalee18 macrumors newbie

I'm normally not one to assume the worst, but I have to admit this thought crossed my mind as well.

3. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Um yeah! They never were in the bumper business before! :rolleyes:

4. iMaconApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

im not an expert...but im not sure a OS update can fix this? if so do they like make the phone add more power to the signal to boost it up but this might hurt the batt just a tiny bit..to me this might be hardware issues :confused: not sure..

glad i waited for white..i hope they get this issues screen/antenna/bugs fixed by mid july..

5. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I don't buy it at all. They have to be smart enough to know that the world is full of smart people who can out 2 and 2 together and come out with 6.

6. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

As soon as I read about the trouble, and then tested it for myself this is exactly what I thought. Obviously touching an exposed antenna would have some effect and on the iPhone it appears to be a negative effect. Here's to hopping the black iPhone with white bumper looks as sexy as it does In the photoshops.

7. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

I figured this out too. It's a brilliant way to get money from us. But I don't care because I wanted a bumper from day one and it's coming tomorrow. It will protect it from falls and stop it from losing reception.

8. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

You just said in your original post that you think Apple did it on purpose so we buy bumpers. They're not going to fix it in a software update if they did it on purpose.

9. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

And radiate the cells in our hand just a little more ;)

10. myfoneisdank macrumors regular

as i said in another thread:

if this were the actual case, there is no way apple would be gauging customers for $29 dollars.

if they were trying to cover up the issue, the bumper would come in the box or be around $4.99

11. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

If in fact your hand is acting as a conductor, then the bumbpers should be free or a 1.99 at the most because that is all the are worth. 29 dollars for a rubber ring to ensure you signal does not drop?:rolleyes:

12. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

It's plastic and rubber (different layers), and metal (volume button extensions). It's not just molded rubber, it's a little more complicated. I agree, it doesnt cost Apple $30 but hey, it's business.

13. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Next you are going to tell me a sticker can improve cell reception.

[​IMG]

14. Gagoots macrumors regular

Apple has incorporated a post design improvment, and they've
    found a way to have the customer pay for it!

Now THAT is brlliiant engineering.

15. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Walt's review said even though it wasn't showing bars it would still work fine for him. He said apple told him it was a software problem

16. phrint macrumors 6502

Conspiracy theorists are everywhere on MacRumors. Even though the signal may drop, the quality of the call does not. Tried it out multiple times holding the sides then placing the phone on the table. No difference at all.

17. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

18. nospleen macrumors 68020

nospleen

My old rabbit ears used to get a better signal when I touched them, guess that logic doesn't work here!:D